X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another side job completed...

Gear Junkie- There is enough to remove the trap, it's just a weird angle. Since it's such a small difference, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Plumbers Crack- It's a rental house and the guy only wants repairs not re pipes, I'll try again today to change his mind since I'm always over this house doing something plumbing related.

Crappy Days- " " "

All Clear Sewer- I noticed the dis charge house problem, and tested it, and it appeared ok but next time I go over I'm going to through on a clip, instead of a hose clamp. Also it's a all thread trap, so once you un thread it, you can snake it through there with no problems. I just thought it's be too many fittings in such a tight area. Also, it's a 1-1/2 copper to 1-1/2 cast iron or plastic pipe, and I wanted whoever came behind me to know I just didn't use a furncoe.

Plumber Rick- It was bought at Fergusons, your correct.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron wrote: "Plumbers Crack- It's a rental house and the guy only wants repairs not re pipes, I'll try again today to change his mind since I'm always over this house doing something plumbing related."

This is where you will begin to develop the art of tactfully informing the customer what they need to do to protect themselves and others in their home. This must be based on FACT and code requirements, not what you think they need, looks like it will work, or what have you. In a Landlord situation properly plumbed means he's less likely to end up on the wrong end of a law suit if someone is injured (in the legal and physical sense) by sub-standard work. Ultimately he would be responsible since he has knowingly hired you to perform the work and is aware that you currently don't hold a plumbing license.

If you go in and find a violation or something is not right, I would think the best thing to do to protect yourself (you were the last one who worked on it, so you must be at fault is the way they will see it) is to bring it to the owners attention AND suggest a fix. Remember they are not always going to be aware of the health dangers that some less-than-legal plumbing can cause. You're there to begin with because of your expertise, they are paying for your experience AND your skills. In the long run if they refuse about all you can do is point out the problem and try to convince them it should be addressed in a timely fashion, the other choice is to walk away.

This is also an area where you have to be careful and know what you are talking about. Don't use it as a means of extracting money out of people who are depending on you to fix what needs fixing and not rape them as you eluded some others do. People don't always have to know the subject completely to know you are trying to pull a fast one on them. If they sniff a con to do more work than is needed or overcharge them, then you are dog meat in my opinion.

Next to knowledge of the trade there is nothing more important than your reputation, and many here I bet will say it's a toss-up as to which is more important. Screw over just one person and it will cost you at least 6 other jobs.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

the thing with the vent .

is this on a slab and maybe the pipe goes into the slab and may have a vent tied into it under ground cant it ?
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          the thing with the vent .

is this on a slab and maybe the pipe goes into the slab and may have a vent tied into it under ground cant it ?
          Hawk,I don't think that the trap is allowed to come off the vertical like that in Aarons District or anywhere that I know of.It kind of has to do with atmospheric pressures inside the system and protecting the trap seal.But Yea,I mean it could have been vented below,I've seen worse

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Hawk,I don't think that the trap is allowed to come off the vertical like that in Aarons District or anywhere that I know of.It kind of has to do with atmospheric pressures inside the system and protecting the trap seal.But Yea,I mean it could have been vented below,I've seen worse

close

more like syphoning the trap seal. there is no vent on this trap/ fixture. at least not an approved vent. you can't flat vent it, it's not an island vent, and it's not a combination waste and vent.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              I know for us the maximum distance a trap arm can drop before tying into the vent is 1 pipe diameter
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                I know for us the maximum distance a trap arm can drop before tying into the vent is 1 pipe diameter

For us it's 1-1/2 the diameter to avert a crown vent..thought I'd toss in that really important detail.

Comment

Rick I dont snake through a sink basket any longer. I caught a big hair ball one day and like to never got that mess cleaned up. It wouldnt come out and got all wound up. I always pull the P-Trap`s and I`m done in no time. Most of the plumbers around here are now installing clean-outs on sink drains. Dont know why but I love em for it

I rap my drum with 1 round of duct tape as it will fling crap all over and I saw the same thing on the screws. I have a K-39 in the trailer but I never use it for some reason, I always grab that one. I guess I`m still old school
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Your right about the strainer, I always pull the trap, I too pulled hair back once, never again. It is best to pull the trap, less tension on the cable, I also try to never run anything smaller then my 100 machine with my 3/8 cable in k/s drains, because the sludge and debris in the line, I wanna do a good job, and feel the 1/4 top snake won't get it done. I had a customer in a 3 story house in manhattan beach, they put the kitchens on the third floor, horrible, but anyways, when I showed up, he said he has his k/s snaked out once every 1-2 months and they barely put anything down, so I carried my 100 machine up the stairs, asked him if the previous plumbers used this type of machine before, he said they had one on a drill, I ran mine, and approx 7 months later, went to do another job over his house, I solved his k/s problem by just knowing what type of machine would complete the job.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      Rick I dont snake through a sink basket any longer. I caught a big hair ball one day and like to never got that mess cleaned up. It wouldnt come out and got all wound up. I always pull the P-Trap`s and I`m done in no time. Most of the plumbers around here are now installing clean-outs on sink drains. Dont know why but I love em for it
                      I do, our code calls for either a CO or a removeable trap...I hate those traps, they tend to leak at the slip.
                      The CO's tie into a wye...leaving the trap & 1-1/2" drain before the wye to the mercy of accessability from the drain, but I still prefer them on install.

Comment

Working...
                      X