X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another side job completed...

Well, I just completed another side job, and I'd like all of your input. The other thread got of hand, and I apologize. I tried making everyone happy on this one, let's see if it worked...

This is a before picture.

I was planning on connecting on to the 1-1/2 copper pipe coming out of the 90*, but when I removed the 1-1/2 furncoe I found this. Just another hairy homeowner 'fix' in this house.

Just in case you can't tell, I have a 1-1/2 copper to 1-1/2 cast iron or plastic sheer band, with a 1-1/2 street 90 in the top of it, with a piece of 1-1/2 pipe about 8" long connecting into the top of the 1-1/2 all thread trap. Then a piece maybe 10" coming down from the 1-1/2 trap adapter, out of the picture is the 1-1/2 chrome branch tail piece and chrome basket strainer.

Here's a final side shot.

Everyone like my primer?
    Last edited by Aaron91; 07-02-2007, 09:43 PM.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: Another side job completed...

looks good, but that trap may be prone to syphonage....where your 90 is should be a ty with either a vent connection, or at very least an AAV
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out, that totally blew over me, I'll keep it in mind if that problem arises.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I'm glad to see you can take critism. It says alot about you. How much space do you have underneath the p-trap? Enough to remove it? I need help with the next one; 1 1/2 copper is smaller than 1 1/2 pvc. Is this allowed with the way he ran it? I would think there's a potential for stoppages. Last note: don't do do things to make us or other people happy, do them because it's the right thing to do. I know what you meant though. You're getting better.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread except another scarcastic remark that at least you didn't screw it up any more than it already was.

Is anyone going to mention the problem with the dishwasher discharge?

Comment

I wasn't going to say anything, but yes an air gap would be good. Aaron, without an air gap the water can flow back into the dishwasher if the sink ever backs up. If you do not want to install an air gap at least clip the discharge hose to the bottom of the counter. Or above the flood level ( as high as possible ).
            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Aaron...we need to make a small piece of paper with the word "VENT" on it...have you wear it on your forehead for a day!
              There is no vent on the trap...your soon to be job description is, in part, VENTING!
              Also...two so far have commented on the DW discharge...you have to clip the discharge hose as high as you can get it inside the sink cabinet...so the sink doesn't drain back to the DW.
              I personally think the fact that you post here with pictures is a sign of great things to come...I don't know any 16 year olds with this much passion for a future career.
              Now send us a picture of yourself with that "VENT" sign on your forehead.
              JUST KIDDING!

Comment

By looking at the pictures it looks like it`s a **** hole house. (nasty under there like a rental house) I was thinking about the DW Hose and not seeing a vent but I too work on some rental homes that are plumbed this way. I always want to fix the things I see but most of the times the landlords only want a repair not a re-plumb. I can feel your pain "IF" you are seeing these things that are being pointed out by other's. Here's my take on what I see "if" it`s a rental, you could at least strap the DW hose up to the bottom of the counter top above the flood rim of the sink like it was in the first picture and not affect the cost much other then that I`m glad to see the primer

One last note: That hose clamp on the DW hose is either to tight or the hose is to big you should have cut off the flange looking thing and made it cleaner looking

Keep plugging a-way you`ll get there
                Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 07-03-2007, 01:16 AM.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Just looked again and now from a sewer guy`s point of view, you just pissed me off J/K
                  use a P trap that comes off for line cleaning. We dont like to have to take out walls to clean sink lines.
                  There are many ways to make a sewer guy happy. If you want to plumb it the way you did fine but please put a clean out T in line so we dont have to take the complete line off just to clean it.

I would have to take the band clamp off and then the P-Trap nut off and hope my arms are long enough to reach the line in the wall, NOT a good thing
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 07-03-2007, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    Just looked again and now from a sewer guy`s point of view, you just pissed me off J/K
                    use a P trap that comes off for line cleaning. We dont like to have to take out walls to clean sink lines.
                    There are many ways to make a sewer guy happy. If you want to plumb it the way you did fine but please put a clean out T in line so we dont have to take the complete line off just to clean it.

I would have to take the band clamp off and then the P-Trap nut off and hope my arms are long enough to reach the line in the wall, NOT a good thing

all clear, the trap does have a union on it and the tail piece also has a slip joint nut. the lack of an air gap and vent is the real issue here.

aaron, nothing wrong doing side jobs for some extra cash, but it does no good if the codes are not followed. sure it looks alot cleaner than bfore you worked on it. but the job is still not up to standard.

just my opinion.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

looked again

Take that ugly *** sticker off the band clamp, looks prettier when all tags and stickers are removed even on s hit jobs

Comment

Rick a clean out T would have made cleaning the line much nicer then trying to reach all the way back to the back of the wall or going it to the 90 left. that would be 2 90`s in a foot or so and makes it a pain in the ***
                        And YES the Vent is a big problem but no vent makes guy`s like me money
                        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 07-03-2007, 01:56 AM.

Comment

true a wye with a plug would make it much nicer than taking off the trap.

the k-50 and 5/8'' cable would have no problem getting through that 90. the cable is much more flexible than a standard 3/8'' cable.

as far as the label goes. truthfully a upc sticker is typically hardware/ retail products, but technically a label on the transition band is required so the inspector knows that the band is of the proper design for the application. needs to show that it's for 1.5'' copper to 1.5'' plastic or iron.

rick.

if you don't have a k-50 yet, you really might think of getting one. i'm now on my 5th. one and yes they all work
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I clean most sink lines with one of these using 5/16 cable

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                              I clean most sink lines with one of these using 5/16 cable

if this is the machine and cable you use to clean sinks, then why would you need to remove the trap? this will easily pass through a basket strainer.

believe it or not this is the same machine i started with 32 years ago, except the drum was steel and not aluminum.

i found that the drum screws are exposed and pose a danger in scratching/ chipping the fixture if you get too close. i like the k39 design with the 2 way power feed or chuck & plastic drum and recessed quick release screws

on sinks with disposals, i remove the slip joint from the diverter tee to still allow water to run and check for the stoppage. i don't like to remove the trap as you have no way to test and flush until you reassemble. still the k-50 will fit through the trap

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X