Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trenchless or Pipe bursting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

    Rick, do you have lining equipment and if so what brand. Pipe bursting would not have been ideal for this project. Not disputing what you charge, but that seems low considering the equipment cost from what ive been quoted is 30 grand and up.
    Last edited by Crappy days; 07-04-2007, 08:05 PM.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      robert, we are suppose to ream the fused butt joint

      you never ream i always ream

      rick.

      rick.
      Now fusion welding I understand. The pipe we used was 40 ft long. We didn't ream the inside either but it was pressurized sewer pipe. With 40 ' long pipe, how do you ream the inside? On a side note; it called a CHT line, what does that mean? I've asked countless engineers who have no clue.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

        Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Now fusion welding I understand. The pipe we used was 40 ft long. We didn't ream the inside either but it was pressurized sewer pipe. With 40 ' long pipe, how do you ream the inside? On a side note; it called a CHT line, what does that mean? I've asked countless engineers who have no clue.
        In the Navy "CHT" was waste lines on a ship.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

          I know that but what does it stand for?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

            Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I know that but what does it stand for?
            Unfortunately your on yer own..I was simply told to replace the "C" with an "S" and add an "I" to remember what it was.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

              I just googled it. One definition that might be plausible is "collection, holding & transfer". Kinda sounds like it might apply.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                Yeah, I got about ten pages into a websearch and got everything from "Chinese herbal treatment" to "Control heat transfer".

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                  Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                  Rick, do you have lining equipment and if so what brand. Pipe bursting would not have been ideal for this project. Not disputing what you charge, but that seems low considering the equipment cost from what ive been quoted is 30 grand and up.
                  read my original post. i have pipe bursting equipment. with the trailer and all the fixins it is approx. 50k.

                  Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Now fusion welding I understand. The pipe we used was 40 ft long. We didn't ream the inside either but it was pressurized sewer pipe. With 40 ' long pipe, how do you ream the inside? On a side note; it called a CHT line, what does that mean? I've asked countless engineers who have no clue.
                  ben the reamer consist of 3- 7' sections and a drill arbor. it has a 4'' cutter that spins via a drill motor. just assy. and push to the joint, start drill and cut out the bead.

                  rick.
                  phoebe it is

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    robert, we are suppose to ream the fused butt joint

                    you never ream i always ream

                    rick.

                    all clear, if there is a big root pressing on the existing line , the bursting head will offset to get around it. just like how i can pull around a 45 fitting. the pull will basically absorb small offsets. whereas in pipe lining, what you start with is what you end with. if there is a bad section, then you mimic the line with the liner.

                    i feel that bursting is a much better process than a liner. the new sdr17 pipe is bullet proof. i always take a 4'' sample and hit it with a 10# sledge hammer while on the ground. try that with anything else

                    rick.
                    rick, question, the inspector never called it, many inspectors never called it. I did $200,000 in trenchless sdr in it's hay day, and I never once had an inspector call it. I wasn't the installers, but I ran the jobs, if it was a problem, I would have found out really quick. UPC say's there cannot be any restrictions, but it dosen't say anything about reaming sdr in the 2006 upc, if it does, please give me the code section and I will stand corrected. I know that ABS has to be reamed, but not fusion pipe. although I don't do trenchless anymore, I would like to find out who makes the equipment to ream it, who do you purchase it from??
                    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-05-2007, 02:20 AM.
                    sigpic

                    Robert

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                      Rick, I know you said you have pipe bursting equipment. I was wondering if you had liner equipment also and what brand it is. Plus how can you afford to do 34 ' of pipe bursting plus 6' of cast change out for 2,000.00. At those prices it seems as though you are giving it away. If you read my post I said the pipe was around 12 ' deep. Prep alone for that hole would be costly. Again I'm not disputing your prices but that seams awfully low.
                      Last edited by Crappy days; 07-05-2007, 03:29 AM.
                      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                        Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        UPC say's there cannot be any restrictions, but it dosen't say anything about reaming sdr in the 2006 upc, if it does, please give me the code section and I will stand corrected.
                        Forgive my ignorance, but the last CE course I took, the instructor said that California was still using a UPC from the 90's. What UPC version are you using?

                        Maybe my instructor had his head up his ***.
                        Brent

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                          Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                          Rick, I know you said you have pipe bursting equipment. I was wondering if you had liner equipment also and what brand it is. Plus how can you afford to do 34 ' of pipe bursting plus 6' of cast change out for 2,000.00. At those prices it seems as though you are giving it away. If you read my post I said the pipe was around 12 ' deep. Prep alone for that hole would be costly. Again I'm not disputing your prices but that seams awfully low.
                          crappy, the price i mentioned was not for digging. just for pipe pulling and not connecting to the old pipe. that's what you're for as the contractor. i am the sub and just supply and pull the pipe. remember it only takes myself and joey to do the job. not a whole crew of guys standing around watching

                          if it was my job as a whole, then i would have to figure the digging and the reconnection as an additional price. also the backfilling and re-compaction too.

                          plus i only do work on the properties owners side. no public works or right of way.

                          i don't own liner equipment. i did initially invest in a so called territory to hold it, but then i decided against it and joey got my deposit back

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                            Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            rick, question, the inspector never called it, many inspectors never called it. I did $200,000 in trenchless sdr in it's hay day, and I never once had an inspector call it. I wasn't the installers, but I ran the jobs, if it was a problem, I would have found out really quick. UPC say's there cannot be any restrictions, but it dosen't say anything about reaming sdr in the 2006 upc, if it does, please give me the code section and I will stand corrected. I know that ABS has to be reamed, but not fusion pipe. although I don't do trenchless anymore, I would like to find out who makes the equipment to ream it, who do you purchase it from??
                            5 years ago it was difficult to find a reamer and the 1 that was avaliable was $2500 so i designed my own

                            the inner bead is approx. 1/8''-3/16'' bead. not much different than a no hub band. still i ream it.

                            never heard that you need to ream abs my cutters don't leave a ridge. i use both a plastic tubing cutter and a special pull saw. neither of them leave any burrs.

                            rick.
                            phoebe it is

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                              I do not ream my ABS either, there isn't a large enough ledge to cause a problem. When I was in that 8 month code class I remember the inspector saying we should ream the ABS because when we use our cutters it leaves a ledge. I haven't mean't anyone that reams ABS. I always use my plastic cutters on all ABS pipe, I like to have smooth, clean flush cut's (except for the ledge they leave) what does the "special pull saw" look like? is that just the metal rope?
                              sigpic

                              Robert

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Trenchless or Pipe bursting

                                Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                                I do not ream my ABS either, there isn't a large enough ledge to cause a problem. When I was in that 8 month code class I remember the inspector saying we should ream the ABS because when we use our cutters it leaves a ledge. I haven't mean't anyone that reams ABS. I always use my plastic cutters on all ABS pipe, I like to have smooth, clean flush cut's (except for the ledge they leave) what does the "special pull saw" look like? is that just the metal rope?
                                ahh grasshopper, the pull saw is a "japanese" fine tooth very sharp saw

                                it leaves very little burrs and will cut faster and smoother than anything. a sawzall is fast but not smooth.

                                now on with the wax

                                rick
                                phoebe it is

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X