Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basement Cleanout

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    I would never tap a 3" or 4" IBCO or any FIP fitting, I feel if it is old enough to need re-threaded, then it should probably be replaced. I guess it all depends on the customer and the situation. so I guess I shouldn't say "never" but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

you mean that you never tap a 1.5'' san tee when you remove a nipple and trap

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      you mean that you never tap a 1.5'' san tee when you remove a nipple and trap

rick.

nope, never had to, I will either notch it and remove it if the customer doesn't want it replaced, or I will do the customer a favor and remove the old durham santee and install a new one, the sink will drain better. Usually if the nipple breaks in the santee, it is a pretty old fitting and should be replaced anyways. most stoppages are in the barrel of the fitting anyways. Remember, I love to work as much as posible and still enjoy making money, I feel re-tapping in most cases just puts a band aid on the situation.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

On the related thread, I recieved an email from the original poster, to me, it is filling with water again, but it looks like a santee, It dosen't look threaded, my suggestion was to install a 4" clay x 4" plastic MR band over the hub and install a 4" ABS end plug on the 4" plastic side and torque it down. did anyone else get this email?
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

On the related thread, I recieved an email from the original poster, to me, it is filling with water again, but it looks like a santee, It dosen't look threaded, my suggestion was to install a 4" clay x 4" plastic MR band over the hub and install a 4" ABS end plug on the 4" plastic side and torque it down. did anyone else get this email?
          i did it looks like a hub from a san tee. the ibco probably pulled out and it looks like the fix is to lead in a new ibco or a piece of pipe and cap it. also looks like a drain on the tee?

i wrote him back too and told him how to post smaller jpeg images. hopefully he will and everyone can see it.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

nope, never had to, I will either notch it and remove it if the customer doesn't want it replaced, or I will do the customer a favor and remove the old durham santee and install a new one, the sink will drain better. Usually if the nipple breaks in the santee, it is a pretty old fitting and should be replaced anyways. most stoppages are in the barrel of the fitting anyways. Remember, I love to work as much as posible and still enjoy making money, I feel re-tapping in most cases just puts a band aid on the situation.
            only time i repalce a san tee is if it broken or the vent or waste line is rotted away. retapping the threads are to just clean them up so the new nipple will go in more than a few turns.

very rarely will the nipple break off in the tee. i have a few custom wrenches that grip 360 degrees and hasn't failed me yet.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              only time i repalce a san tee is if it broken or the vent or waste line is rotted away. retapping the threads are to just clean them up so the new nipple will go in more than a few turns.

very rarely will the nipple break off in the tee. i have a few custom wrenches that grip 360 degrees and hasn't failed me yet.

rick.

I have a right angle wrench that works great, get's me out of the cabinet, never have a problem with it, unless the nipple needs to be replaced due to age, then it will break off at the threads, plus I have a set of c/o cap wrenches, they work well on c/s caps and below floor level c/o caps
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

here are the reduced resolution pics. I am not sure if the horizontal cap is vent, but as you can see there is a cut out in it, not sure if that is suppsoed to be there. That is where the water is coming out of. It sits higher than the pipe that flows out to the street. I am guessing that maybe i have a backup between the house and the curb since the water keeps coming back in and the township came out to clean from the curb to the sewer.

the vertcal pipe with the flange is not threaded, the inside dia. of the flange is 4.5" and the inside dia of the pipe is 3.5". The horizontal piece has a dia of about 7 inches. Does fernco make a 7 inch cap with a ring on it to fit over that piece? Not really sure how to fix that.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X