X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Cleanout

I have a question regarding a cleanout that is in the floor of our basement. the cast iron cap has come loose and I am having trouble finding something that will seal the pipe. the flange on top has a 4.5" ID and the main pipe extention that comes up to the floor vertically has a 3.5" ID. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best method to cap this, it seems to be an irregular size.

There is also an extension that comes off of this verticle pipe that looks to have a slotted or vented cap? On the oposite side (180 degrees) of that horizontal piece is the pipe that runs to the sewer. I am not sure of the type of set up this is. I assume that all of the plumbing in the house ties into this section of pipe. If anyone has a similar set up let me know.

There is also a pipe running from this basin to the sump pump. The basin looks to be 2ft by 2ft and roughly 12-18inches deep with dirt in the bottom and bricks line the sides and a concrete floor sits on top. We had water lying in this basin for days from the backup, I got most of it out of there but there still seems to be some coming back Should i throw a dry stone in the basin to absorb any water that may come through the ground or is this normal and I should not worry about it.

Thanks

Anthony
    Last edited by aallman27; 07-05-2007, 10:24 PM.

Re: Basement Cleanout

Anthony,

Pictures would help alot here

Comment

They do make a plastic style cap that has a rubber, that expands outward as you tighten it in. They make different sizes should be able to find an the depot.

Comment

as freddy said. the internal expansion plugs will work fine. on a bald pipe end a jim cap will work.

i agree a picture is worth a 1000 words.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Sounds like you have a iron body c/o adapter or just an FIP, You can use a 4" doller plug they have 2 styles, a metal one, which I recommend, it has metal wing nut and a rubber gasket, sandwiched between 2 pieces of metal, or a plastic one, looks like a raised head plug, with a gasket around it. I am not sure of your set up, wish there was a picture. Please keep in mind, with both of these remedies, you have a chance for the plug to blow out if you have a m/l stoppage due to head pressure. send a picture, and we'll see if we can give you what you need
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            Sounds like you have a iron body c/o adapter or just an FIP, You can use a 4" doller plug they have 2 styles, a metal one, which I recommend, it has metal wing nut and a rubber gasket, sandwiched between 2 pieces of metal, or a plastic one, looks like a raised head plug, with a gasket around it. I am not sure of your set up, wish there was a picture. Please keep in mind, with both of these remedies, you have a chance for the plug to blow out if you have a m/l stoppage due to head pressure. send a picture, and we'll see if we can give you what you need

Robert, maybe it's just me, but for some reason I've had bad luck with those metal ones vs the plastic holding when I do a head test for inspections.
            Ironically I get the plastic dollar plugs at "big orange", the metal ones at suppliers.
            I've had fewer bad experiences than I could count on one hand, but that's enough for me.
            Maybe you get something different than we do...afterall, you're on the other side of the world...lol.

Comment

Hmm, I haven't had a problem yet, but I appreciate the info, I will keep that in mind
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Hmm, I haven't had a problem yet, but I appreciate the info, I will keep that in mind

I'll just have to guess that maybe it's a different manufacturer, or maybe it's been my luck.

Comment

Like I have said in my other posts, Murphys Law. I only use doller plugs and jim caps on exterior parts of the building, I have seen both blow off and cause alot of damage. nothing like 500-5000 gallons of sewage under the house
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Like I have said in my other posts, Murphys Law. I only use doller plugs and jim caps on exterior parts of the building, I have seen both blow off and cause alot of damage. nothing like 500-5000 gallons of sewage under the house

YIKES!
                    On something with that much liquid, that's not new construction (no D-wall yet) the Jimmies and dollars are good...but I'd prolly just glue caps on..or thread plugs.

Comment

thank you for the help, I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. I Spent 5-6 trips to "big orange" and found nothing that would fit or work. i tried a 3 and a 4 inch plug with the wing nut, the three inch was too small and the 4 in was a little too big. As I said the ID of the pipe is 3.5 in, seems to be an irregualr size. Some of the people on my street do not have the same set-up, so I can figure out why my house has it. As I said I will take some pics tomorrow.

Comment

i've used tin snips to cut the lower metal washer about 1/4'' smaller. try that if need be.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I don't remember if you said if you had threads or not. When I was working in Seattle there were a lot of 3.5" clean out plugs in 4" CI. We used to get 3.5" ABS threaded plugs from Barnett Brass.
                          Brent

Comment

if it was a 4'' ibco/ iron body clean out, then a 3.5'' plug is the correct size. the problem is, as the threads got rusty, the plug won't screw in very good.

try the expansion plug trick and trim the lower washer if needed.

i don't own a 3.5'' or 4'' tap. not sure if i want to

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I would never tap a 3" or 4" IBCO or any FIP fitting, I feel if it is old enough to need re-threaded, then it should probably be replaced. I guess it all depends on the customer and the situation. so I guess I shouldn't say "never" but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X