X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining noise after flushing toilet

I'm new to the forum but find the information tremendously helpful.
    Everytime we flush the powder room toilet, it's followed by a moaning noise below the floor. I was told that it might be air in the pipes. Any thoughts or comments would be helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by Novice plumber; 07-06-2007, 11:04 PM.

Re: Whining noise after flushing toilet

Waterhammer caused by a sudden closing of a valve. In this case, your float valve probly needs to be replaced. What kind do you have, mansfield?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Try replacing the fill valve first. If this doesn't work, replace the shut-off at the water closet.

There was one time where I have turned off a customer's kitchen faucet and heard a weird noise that I couldn't pinpoint. It turned out that the vacuum breaker on the sillcock was the cause of it. I took it off and the noise went away. It was a shot in the dark and it worked

I believe it was one with two check valves like the one pictued here:

YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I would replace your toilet water controle valve with a fluidmaster 400. Cost about 7 to 8.00 dollars. Also while you are at it, replace toilet flapper and the supply hose coming up from toilet stop to toilet tank. This will replace parts that are common and do go bad.

Comment

Loose washer on the angle stop???

Comment

not sure about below the floor noise? what brand of ballcock is installed in the toilet? does it only happen with this 1 toilet in the house? do you know the water pressure in the system?

does the noise stop once the toilet is full?

this will narrow it down much easier

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

It happens only when this one toilet is flushed. The "rumbling" sound seems to be coming from the water pipes below the floor surface and only begins after the fill valve seems to have closed.

Comment

fast closing fill valve or debris behind the stop. I believe it is going to be fill valve, maybe debris behind the angle stop, I pulled a chunk of wood from behind the stem of a shower valve causing the hammer noise.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Rumbling after the fill stops?
                  Look in the basement for loose hanging waterpipe...if it's not clipped down the pipes can shake when the toilet valve stops.

Comment

Working...
                  X