Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot on the left, cold on the right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

    Hot on the left, cold on the right? Depends on where you're standing...

    Roughed in and installed a free standing bathtub. Facing the tub; drain and faucets are centered on the side closest to you. When the inspector shows up for the final walkthrough he turns me down for having hot/cold reversed.

    He says tub is filled from outside the tub so the hot should be on the left. I say it's operated from inside the tub and I have it right. 10 min. discussion turns into a heated arguement about who's right. Reversing the pipes at this stage is just not possible without breaking up Italian marble flooring and working around radiant heat piping. He leaves without giving me the green sticker. I go over his head to the Chief Plumbing Inspector to get my final.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

      Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Hot on the left, cold on the right? Depends on where you're standing...

      Roughed in and installed a free standing bathtub. Facing the tub; drain and faucets are centered on the side closest to you. When the inspector shows up for the final walkthrough he turns me down for having hot/cold reversed.

      He says tub is filled from outside the tub so the hot should be on the left. I say it's operated from inside the tub and I have it right. 10 min. discussion turns into a heated arguement about who's right. Reversing the pipes at this stage is just not possible without breaking up Italian marble flooring and working around radiant heat piping. He leaves without giving me the green sticker. I go over his head to the Chief Plumbing Inspector to get my final.
      If you are facing the handles, the hot should be on the left, so I might be with the inspector here. I'm not clear on your configuration. But, in the UPC, it is about facing the handles. Do you have a drawing?
      the dog

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

        crack,not taking sides with you or the inspector. but i just walked into my bathroom with a deck mounted tub valve. since i don't bathe i had to test it to see for myself.

        while outside the tub, the hot is on the left and cold on the right. spout is also right of the cold too.

        now i ruffed this in 13 years ago and don't think i used it 10 times. but i too thought it would make sense from outside as i fill it while outside.

        either way has it's right and wrong, pluses and negatives i would think that the customer would have final say.

        on our new construction projects, there was never hot water during inspection and therefore no way to tell the difference. this was a potential pain if the back to back fixtures were crossed and i didn't pick up on it.

        crack you did good by explaining your case to the big cheese

        dog, i did as you would have done too

        no winner, no looser.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

          Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
          If you are facing the handles, the hot should be on the left, so I might be with the inspector here. I'm not clear on your configuration. But, in the UPC, it is about facing the handles. Do you have a drawing?
          This is the exact setup I have. The faucet and exposed waste and overflow are on the side that you enter from. The owners wanted to have easy access to the faucet without having to reach across the tub to fill it.

          Most of us that bathe would fill the tub 1st then get in but what if I want to use the hand sprayer?? the pipes would be reversed and I get scalded

          BTW I love a vintage clawfoot tub...very classy
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-15-2008, 10:37 AM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

            I would want the plumbing correct whilst sitting in the tub. If it is 'backward' outside the tub I may scorch a finger, if it is backward whilst in the tub who knows what I may scorch

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

              the 2000 UPC said the hot water should come from the left side during operation. (416.0)

              the 2006 UPC changed it to say the hot water should should come from the left side while facing the spout.

              the 2000 code left to much room for interpretation, whether the tub is being filled from the outside or in. 2006 clarified it so that when you're in the tub facing the spout the hot would be on the left, to eliminate confusion while actually bathing.

              It's been my understanding that the code (UPC) doesn't dictate the orientation of hot and cold rough-in. Just that when the fixture is being used the hot is on the left. Although good plumbing practice is to rough in hot on the left.
              Brent

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

                Keep in mind that the UPC, IPC, all codes and regulations are just minimum standards. In the front of the code book, it say's something about workmanship, so, quality workmanship will always exceed the minimum standards.
                sigpic

                Robert

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

                  Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                  Keep in mind that the UPC, IPC, all codes and regulations are just minimum standards. In the front of the code book, it say's something about workmanship, so, quality workmanship will always exceed the minimum standards.
                  yes and no. true the code is a minimum requirement. but it doesn't sound like this is up to interpretation. one needs to meet the minimum and are encouraged to exceed it. but what is being quoted is pretty clear. i need to look it up in my new 2007 california book. based on the 2006 upc. not yet adopted till jan 08.

                  section 415.0 states "where two separate handles control the hot and cold water, the left-hand control of the faucet when facing the fixture fitting outlet shall provide the means to alter the hot water temperature from the fixture fitting.

                  single- handle mixing valves shall have the flow of hot water correspond to the markings on the fitting"

                  rick.
                  phoebe it is

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

                    hey everyone, nevous has left the building. I think he got the idea of how to run the pipes in the 20 or so posts

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

                      Originally posted by freddy View Post
                      hey everyone, nevous has left the building. I think he got the idea of how to run the pipes in the 20 or so posts

                      the first 15 were based on the water and air gap question.

                      everything else was in responce to p.c. question. which has affected us plumbers on 1 job or another. i even opened up a new code book last night to research it. that was a $150. piece of research

                      there are plenty of posters that ask 1 question and leave. if there is some merit to it, we then respond. if it leads to another topic, we run with it.

                      that's why i and others like the open forum. it gives us both serious and not so serious topics to discuss. even go-cart racing robert

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

                        Rick, you should have pruchased your 2006 code book from Builders Book in Canoga Park, we only paid $98.00, 3 months ago, it still may be the same price
                        sigpic

                        Robert

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

                          No way,Canoga book store had me pay $126.00 with tax.And that was with a 10% discount

                          Freddy,this is an important issue,if nervous is gone great.

                          I always liked to look at the faucet installation from the point of view that worst case scenario if a mother was bathing a child in the tub while she was outside there would be less chance of an accidental scallding.

                          Also when the homeowner wants to put the drain on the opposite or furthest away from the front,for presentation,I would warn them of the possibility of slipping on the wet tub to release the drain.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Hot on the left, cold on the right

                            Guys you need to join the authoring organization and take advantage of member pricing. You help support your organization (IAPMO, ICC) and you save some money.

                            Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X