Gas sniffers/ analyzers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas sniffers/ analyzers

Does anyone have any good leads on a gas sniffer for external use underground .

Re: Gas sniffers/ analyzers

Check --bay for a sniffer,our company uses digital and mechanical kuhlman guages for testing and leak detection

Comment

the soap bubbles always work, as long as you wipe the pipe when your done. soap can deteriorate the pipe. I would try Goldack, they have great locators and I believe they still make sniffers
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I use a Bacharach informer 2 leak detector. It's made for refrigerant leaks but also tests for gas although I've never used it for that application. Check out the company, they may make something for your use.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm looking for something under $500. for now . I had to turn down a job today which had excessive gas usage . The line is about 150 ' and under pavement . The leak is under the asphalt , and I didn"t want to try and sell a new service if not sure the line had more than one bad spots . It"s black iron [probably painted ] . Doesn"t anyone use the probe to make holes in the ground and follow up with the sniffer . The strongest reading marks the spot . I've used them but can't afford the type I want and was hoping you had viable leads . THanks to all who replied

Comment

our local gas co. use the underground sniffers. i'm sure they are alot more than $500. the few i use are worthless underground. they are decent in a wall or floor cavity. if i can use soap i do.

as far as an underground leak on black iron pipe goes. good luck in trying to make a thread on the underground pipe. i've found that if the pipe is not the correct material to start with, it's not worth fixing.

can you air test the pipe and see how bad it is?

i think it's a big gamble to attempt to fix 1 spot and expect the rest to be in good condition. try digging a core sample and examine the condition of the underground pipe.

by the way, goldak doesn't make a gas sniffer. they sell others and put their sticker on it. i know, i was the sucker who got the sticker

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have Tif gas detectors but mostly because my first detector was a Tif with a Goldak sticker on it.

For an analyzer I use a Bacharach Fyrite Pro 125.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I have Tif gas detectors but mostly because my first detector was a Tif with a Goldak sticker on it.

For an analyzer I use a Bacharach Fyrite Pro 125.

Mark
                After shopping around recently, Bacharach makes the most affordable combustion analyzers...as low as $500, but you'll sacrifice functionality at that price, some run into thousands (saw one for almost 9K...it has computer/printer compatability).
                On newer high efficiency gas fixtures, manometers that read within .01 WC are becoming a necessity too...not nearly as expensive though.

Comment

Duck Butter,
                  I purchased my manometer for $60.00, it's the old style slack tube, but you can get a good digital for around $450.00.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    After shopping around recently, Bacharach makes the most affordable combustion analyzers...as low as $500, but you'll sacrifice functionality at that price, some run into thousands (saw one for almost 9K...it has computer/printer compatability).
                    On newer high efficiency gas fixtures, manometers that read within .01 WC are becoming a necessity too...not nearly as expensive though.
                    9k?, My Bacharach came with an IR printer and all of the stuff to hook it up to my computer but it was under 2K.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      Duck Butter,
                      I purchased my manometer for $60.00, it's the old style slack tube, but you can get a good digital for around $450.00.
                      I found one for $200 that read to within 5/100 WC, you sure you're not confusing digital manometer with combustion analyzer, which are more expensive?

Comment

9k?, My Bacharach came with an IR printer and all of the stuff to hook it up to my computer but it was under 2K.

Mark
                        Mark, - Bacharach ECA 450 Combustion Analyzer 24-7289
                        Look it up, not quite 9K, but close.
                        This isn't something you let junior play with, unless you're a lottery winner with money to throw away.

Comment

I found one for $200 that read to within 5/100 WC, you sure you're not confusing digital manometer with combustion analyzer, which are more expensive?

NOPE, I DON'T DEAL WITH COMBUSTION ANALYZERS, IF YOU FOUND A DIGITAL MANOMETER FOR 200.00, BUY IT
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Mark, - Bacharach ECA 450 Combustion Analyzer 24-7289
                            Look it up, not quite 9K, but close.
                            This isn't something you let junior play with, unless you're a lottery winner with money to throw away.
                            I had looked at that analyer but it really is for continuous measuring in industrial situations. My fyrite pro 125 does all the same stuff but is not meant to be left on the job.

Mark

Comment

I had looked at that analyer but it really is for continuous measuring in industrial situations. My fyrite pro 125 does all the same stuff but is not meant to be left on the job.

Mark
                              It's redundant, yes, but it's almost 9K...didn't want ya thinking I tell stories here.

Comment

Working...
                              X