• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plumbing design in high rise

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    NOW we're talkin'!
    CODE!
    We're not UPC here, but this is what I was hoping for when I joined.

(e) Laundries in Multi-Story Buildings.
    1. Where laundries are installed in buildings with more than three Branch intervals, laundries shall be connected to an independent laundry stack.
    2. The independent laundry stacks shall connect to a independent laundry main drain.
    3. The independent laundry main drain shall connect to the building drain a minimum of 40 pipe diameters upstream and downstream of any soil or waste stack.
    4. A suds relief vent shall connect to the laundry main drain a minimum of 40 pipe diameters downstream from the base of the laundry stack. The suds relief vent shall connect to a vent a minimum of two branch intervals above the base of the laundry stack. (See 248 CMR 10.22, Figure 19: Illustration of Laundries in Multi-story Buildings.)
    5. The Inspector may permit a variation from the above requirements when conditions will not allow compliance.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      (e) Laundries in Multi-Story Buildings.
      1. Where laundries are installed in buildings with more than three Branch intervals, laundries shall be connected to an independent laundry stack.
      2. The independent laundry stacks shall connect to a independent laundry main drain.
      3. The independent laundry main drain shall connect to the building drain a minimum of 40 pipe diameters upstream and downstream of any soil or waste stack.
      4. A suds relief vent shall connect to the laundry main drain a minimum of 40 pipe diameters downstream from the base of the laundry stack. The suds relief vent shall connect to a vent a minimum of two branch intervals above the base of the laundry stack. (See 248 CMR 10.22, Figure 19: Illustration of Laundries in Multi-story Buildings.)
      5. The Inspector may permit a variation from the above requirements when conditions will not allow compliance.
      Pretty soon I'll be able to pick yer brain about my code...I fergot about the seperate drain stack.
      Don't do too many new buildings over three stories, in fact, I don't do any.
      I will ask though...is the UPC the same regarding laundries?

Comment

Pretty soon I'll be able to pick yer brain about my code...I fergot about the seperate drain stack.
        Don't do too many new buildings over three stories, in fact, I don't do any.
        I will ask though...is the UPC the same regarding laundries?
        Very similar except that we have the same for all suds creating fixtures not just the laundry.

Mark

Comment

The most I have worked on, in a new building was 6 stories. The water and suds relief are clearly spelled out in the UPC. So are yoke vents. But I am interested in the original question regarding waste piping. A soil stack 27 floors high would build a tremendous amount of velocity due to the acceleration of gravity. That must be an "engineered system". I'm looking into that, but have no answers. I think the force, based on the accelration would be problematic to standard fittings. Isn't there now an engineer on board? I think he got involved in Rick's thread about pressure in a medical facility.
          the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
            The most I have worked on, in a new building was 6 stories. The water and suds relief are clearly spelled out in the UPC. So are yoke vents. But I am interested in the original question regarding waste piping. A soil stack 27 floors high would build a tremendous amount of velocity due to the acceleration of gravity. That must be an "engineered system". I'm looking into that, but have no answers. I think the force, based on the accelration would be problematic to standard fittings. Isn't there now an engineer on board? I think he got involved in Rick's thread about pressure in a medical facility.
            Dunno 'bout UPC, but we offset the stack every 20' of drop to slow the fall.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

http://www.psdmagazine.com/pdf/Sept_Oct_03/56-61.pdf
              You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Can I add "plumbing engineer" to my occupation and experience field now?

Or maybe "goggle wiz"
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                  Can I add "plumbing engineer" to my occupation and experience field now?

Or maybe "goggle wiz"
                  Your volunteering for the dumb questions?
                  Got my vote.

Comment

I would think every 2 to three 3 stories the just pipe it over to the other side of the building and back again to the opposite side. , I have it in my head but am unable to put it into words, hope you guys get the picture I have never piped a new construction high rise, but have replaced drains in 5-10 story hospitals and buildings. I remember being in the crawl space for hours on hand and having to trace the sections down so I could shut down sections of the buildings so I wouldn't get flushed on
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Dunno 'bout UPC, but we offset the stack every 20' of drop to slow the fall.
                      And what code are you working under that requires an off-set every 20'?
                      the dog

Comment

Duckbutter,

Unless you can name a code that requires an offset every twenty vertical feet, (and Uniform Mars Plumbing Code does not hold water with me) you're not installing the plumbing correctly.

Hondahead,

Sorry I forgot your name, thanks for the info. I figured you'd come through.

Gearhead, I thought it was a good question. Maybe I'm dumb, but I was interested. We all can't be geniuses from Mars like butter.
                        the dog

Comment

My understanding of the main principles of a siphonic is that the pipework runs completely full. By that i mean there is no swirling action in the vertcal sections.This allows smaller bore pipe, and the fact that its laid horizontally saves room in ceiligs etc.

Dont listen to me. Check the links below or try a Google search

http://www.siphonic-roof-drainage.co.uk/index.htm
                          http://www.rmsengineering.pro/
                          http://www.jrsmith.com/products/roof...h/td_works.htm

Josh

Comment

You guys really do need to go check out the clear PVC waste lines at the Las Vegas Plumbing Union Hall/School. The water clings to the side of the pipe not down the middle. Because of the fruiction it will only reach a certain velocity and then stall.

I have two projects in Las vegas right now which are each 45-story Sovent systems.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                              And what code are you working under that requires an off-set every 20'?

CMR 248
                              And after 15 minutes I can't find it, I distinctly recall years ago in school this topic came up, there was a brief joke about "what if a guy were standing under the LS at the bottom of the stack on a 40 ft high-rise" and the instructor told us an offset of 45 was needed every other story
                              Ask Utah Mark, he seems to be acquainting himself with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X