Business Van - New or old?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Van - New or old?

When starting a business, is it necessary to get a newer, cleaner, looking van? I bet it looks better when one pulls up to a customer's house, but do you guys think it really makes a difference?

When I say old, I'm talking 1997 or so and older. Plus, the van looks a bit beat up, or the van looks more like a "family van" instead of a work van.

As some of you know, I'd be doing only drain cleaning, so I wouldn't have as many materials as a regular plumber would.

I'm just curious because I am looking at vans and I do like the newer cargo vans because I think it looks more professional, but they cost more than an older "family van" that I can get for cheap.

Thoughts/opinions welcomed
    Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 07-12-2007, 11:22 PM.
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Business Van - New or old?

I started my company about 2 years ago and had a 94 Ford Box van. the exterior looked clean and the interior was ok. I still have the truck.

I think the main things are to keep your truck washed and, more importantly, take care of your customer. Making them happy is the most important thing. But,

If your truck won't get you to the job you'll have problems.
    Brent

Comment

In general I would tend to believe that in the higher end communities the people can be fickle about a less than impressional vehicle parked in front of their home.But in the average house where real people live I feel BAPlumber's advice applies.

Comment

I Agree, I Refused To Take On Another Payment When I Started My Company, So I Bought As Much As I Could Afford, Dosen't Doa Customer Any Good If That Nice New Van Isn't On The Road Because It Got Rep'oed. As Long As The Van Is Nice, I Keep Mine Washed, No Big Dents Or Anything, Just Clean And Nice Looking. My Dream Van Is The 2003 F350 Diesel Cutaway:d Gotta Wait A Year Or So To Do That. Just Remember, Keep It Washed And The Windows Clean. Make Sure It Runs Great, Another Thing That Is Important. I Got Mine 2002, Private Seller, She Used It To Paint Pictures On Walls And Stuff, Older Lady, Took Good Care Of It. Also, If Your A New Company, A Big New Van Looks Expensive, Might Turn Customers Off Before They Get To Know You, I Found This Out Because I Was Told This By One Of My Now Customers Before I Started Out. Good Luck
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Good call on the "high end" communities. Right now, I work in some "high end" communities and, even though they are really nice and seem down-to-earth, I think they'd be a bit fickled with a subpar vehicle in front of their house. Not all of them, but some.

But, like BA said, as long as the customers are happy and one can get to the job and do good work, that's what matters
          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Robert - The van I was looking at is 2002 white Express Van. That would be "newer" to me. I wouldn't buy a year or two old van because the payments would be too much.

I was just curious if I was able to get a good deal on an older Conversion van (soccer mom van) if that looks "unprofessional" or not.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Yeah, The Windows May Be Too Much, Not Only That, It Isn't Safe To Have All The Windows, Easier To Steal Your Stuff. Atleast Get A Cargo Van, You Will Be Happy, Anything Smaller Then A E150 Won't Handle The Weight.:d
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

i've had vans, 1 ton 3500's. but since 2000 i've used the tilt cab gmc 4500 with 12' combination box/ contractors side bins.

now the licensing has changed on trucks above 10,0003 and i'm thinking about the 1 ton vans again.

keep it clean and good running. a truck in the shop makes money for the mechanic, not the plumber.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the responses

A clean cargo van that runs well and washed on a weekly basis. Got it!

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

i feel it is best to either stay in the current model line up. i knew a guy that had a 1988 chevy pick up and in 1997(9 years old) it still looked very good and it was still in that current body style so no one every questioned it but now since the body style has been differnt for a few years it would look quite dated as would that 1997 model. i hope you understand what i mean.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Perception gets you in the door quality work gets you a repeat customer. Get the most affordable truck you can afford which looks professional but will not bust your budjet.

I am driving a 2004 E350 cutaway with a 10' utility bed which I bought new in 05 for $24,000. If you watch you can find some used nice cargo vans which have been well maintained for not too much. The trick is to ask to see the maintanance invoices. All of our trucks got oil changes at 3,000 miles and lasted for a very long time.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I still have my other truck , it's 14 and runs well and looks great but is too small , after 14 years I deserved a new vehicle and I"d like this one to last as long ................

Comment

Lots of good info, guys! Thanks!

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Keep it clean and get some good lettering that people can read

This is a 91 GMC, the trailer was New 6 months a go

http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Nice rig All Clear . I wanted to go that way initially but there are so many back roads around here sometimes the roads narrow and you might have to back out a 1/4 mile or more . Not good at night . Yours looks nice and clean . I like where it says color video in different colored print

Comment

Working...
                              X