Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Should I install a tankless water heater under my circumstances? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I install a tankless water heater under my circumstances?

I ripped out an old solar hot water system as recommended by some of the board members here. The current hot water heater is in the attic (40 Gallon). I am going to remove the current heater. There is now a large space in my laundry room where the old solar tank was. I am contemplating putting a 50 gallon tank there to replace the one I am going to remove from the attic. It is nice having the extra space without that huge tank. That is why I started thinking about a tankless system. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything as far as installation costs. I will do all of the installation myself. It will be a Bosch 150 electric unit. I will have to run two sets of 8 gauge wire and add two 40 amp breakers to the panel. The copper piping shouldn't be a problem either. The electrical panel is in the same room so running the wires is easy. I will add two valves for the hot and cold inlet. Someone says a bypass should be added also. I'm not sure why though. Am I missing anything as far as install costs go? Everybody keeps telling me that material costs is what kills the deal with these things.

Re: Should I install a tankless water heater under my circumstances?

IMO I think you could buy and install several 50 gal. water heaters in the years to come, and still cost less than installing the cost of the install of an electric tankless water heater. I would only consider tankless if natural gas line was available.

Comment

First of all, I would definately steer clear of Bosch. They are by far the worst Tankless I have seen/heard of. A friend of mine had the job of ripping out 12 bosch's at a hotel and replacing them with rinnai heaters after only 18 months. I sell and install nothing but Rinnai's, and I'll tell you the technology and quality are heads above most others.

Freddy is right about the initial cost.I could probably install 2 50 gal hwt's for the price of installing 1 instant. But if you are going from electric heat you will save approx. $250 a year, and if you go from using a conventional natural gas you will save about $70 annually on your energy bill. Also you should assess how important having endless hot water is to you.

The vent kits for these heaters are fairly costly, around 250 retail, but alot of heaters incluse them in their kits. I'll scan a picture of how the valves should look and post it later
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Good luck with an electric model, and a bosch no less, remeber, you get what you pay for. Is that electric tankless for the whole house? you need a bypass maniforld to service the unit in the future. I wouldn't do Bosch and I wouldn't do electric if you can help it. Look at my post for tankless in the tankless thread, it covers proper installs. rinnai has a direct vent unit to save on venting, if you have the proper set up for it and it will meet local codes.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12246

I have a picture of a tankless I installed with the bypass valves on it in the picture gallery of this forum
        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-13-2007, 05:45 PM.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I don't know if you can see. but there is a bypass with hosebibs attached for circulating citric aid through, to get rid of scale. Also a T&P valve.
          Last edited by bigPipe09; 07-13-2007, 06:53 PM.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            Good luck with an electric model, and a bosch no less, remeber, you get what you pay for. Is that electric tankless for the whole house? you need a bypass maniforld to service the unit in the future. I wouldn't do Bosch and I wouldn't do electric if you can help it. Look at my post for tankless in the tankless thread, it covers proper installs. rinnai has a direct vent unit to save on venting, if you have the proper set up for it and it will meet local codes.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12246

I have a picture of a tankless I installed with the bypass valves on it in the picture gallery of this forum
            When you refer to direct vent,does that mean you are just going to roll it out an exterior wall directly above the unit?

Sorry,too lazy to research the forum for an answer

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              When you refer to direct vent,does that mean you are just going to roll it out an exterior wall directly above the unit?

Sorry,too lazy to research the forum for an answer
              HI ADAM, YES, ROLL IT OUT THE WALL. I DIDN'T DISCUSS D/V IN MY POST'S, BUT IT HAS EVERYTHING ELSE FOR A GOOD INSTALL. STOP BEING LAZY, DON'T LET COURTNEY RUB OFF ON YOU
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not understanding where the high costs of installation are. Gas is out of the question as I do not have any service for it. The Bosch electric unit goes for $428. I think the model number may be 115 and not 150. I'm not sure anymore. I looked at a lifetime warranty Whirlpool 50 gallon and the price was right around there. I have some extra 8 gauge wire. I would need to buy the piping, valves, and breakers. All of the labor will be done by me. I live in Florida, so the ground water is a decent temp coming in. It can handle only one major appliance at a time. I guess I would need to check into different brands. Can someone give me some national plumbing supply chains to look for in my area? Also, any other brands other than the one mentioned I can look into.

Comment

Originally posted by fronty View Post
                  Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not understanding where the high costs of installation are. Gas is out of the question as I do not have any service for it. The Bosch electric unit goes for $428. I think the model number may be 115 and not 150. I'm not sure anymore. I looked at a lifetime warranty Whirlpool 50 gallon and the price was right around there. I have some extra 8 gauge wire. I would need to buy the piping, valves, and breakers. All of the labor will be done by me. I live in Florida, so the ground water is a decent temp coming in. It can handle only one major appliance at a time. I guess I would need to check into different brands. Can someone give me some national plumbing supply chains to look for in my area? Also, any other brands other than the one mentioned I can look into.
                  Average cost to install a tankless, up to code, here in los angeles, proper installation cost a customer 3,000-5,000, the least expensive rinnai tankless, which in my book is the best, cost alone 950.00- 1,050.00 wholesale, twice the cost of a Bosch unit from home depot
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

OK... Rinnai is out of the question as they do not make an electric tankless. Any other brand??? This unit will be for a whole house application.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fronty View Post
                      OK... Rinnai is out of the question as they do not make an electric tankless. Any other brand??? This unit will be for a whole house application.

Thanks
                      If I remember correctly, Takagi makes an electric Tankless. Takagi and Noritz are the 2nd best in tankless, if they have your application, they are far better then Bosch and you will be very happy, especially because you are looking for a whole house application
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

How about Stiebel Eltron? I couldn't find one for the other ones. I guess electric isn't as practical as gas because of the power needed.

Comment

The biggest problem is that with electric, you lose all efficiency, it goes out the window. You might pay more then a elec tank type, it all depends on how much you are willing to pay for the space

Never heard about the brand you posted.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Duck Butter,

Check Your Private Message On The Upper Right Corner
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              The biggest problem is that with electric, you lose all efficiency, it goes out the window. You might pay more then a elec tank type, it all depends on how much you are willing to pay for the space

Never heard about the brand you posted.
                              robert, electric are 80-90% efficient. since the heating elements are submerged the transfer of heat is very efficient.

grasshopper, the car still needs a good waxing and joey would like that

rick.

i have a customer that has a 1 bathroom condo with an electric tankless. she loves it. used to have a 40 electric tank. the electrical panel for the building is right behind her unit. the other 27 units are jealous since the electrical requirements would be quite costly. her unit is supplied by 3 sets of 40 amp breakers. thats 120 amps at 240 volts. so a new panel was installed to accommodate the heater.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X