Dielelectric corrosion-problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dielelectric corrosion-problem?

Yep in NC you DON"T use gal on gas EVER EVER.
    you paint the black steel out side and use coated under ground.
    the gal. will flake and stop up your regualtors.
    sigpic"Son if you want something in this life you'll have to work for it. Now, quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." Homer Simpson

Comment

You guy's have some toxic gas over there, I haven't heard of it flaking here and causing problems with regulators........have any of you other west coasters??
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        Ducky, you can use black on gas on exterior? here, black is optional inside, but galvy is required outside because of rust, etc. I carry galv and brass only, nipples and fittings, like I have said before, galv is cleaner looking then black
        Yes. We have to paint it...usually grey or sometimes yellow.
        When underground it has to be sleeved and a 14 guage tracer has to be run minimum 18" below ground (frost layer...you guys have no concerns on that).
        CSST is the "new kid on the block" here, but most avoid it for the expense & the fact that hangers have to be distanced so closely.

Comment

The galvanize coating can flake off and clog the gas regulators on appliances but you don't see it that often. Southern California has some of the cleanest natural gas out there. I still prefer using black and painting it outside as opposed to using galvanize pipe but I am old-school. For underground we are required to use factory applied coating when using steel pipe.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

CSST also has to be bonded by a electrical contractor now
            sigpic"Son if you want something in this life you'll have to work for it. Now, quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." Homer Simpson

Comment

I don't reinstall brass to galv unless it would turn the job into a 3 day affair to change nipples. I dread all the schools built in the 50's and 60's. The bak-check on the Sloan valve gets rebuilt, it doesn't come off. I see a lot of copper water systems with a galvanised nipple out of the wall. The angle stop is shot, I shut off the water and try to back out the nipple. It usually breaks, leaving the threads in the drop-ear 90. If it is a galvanised system, I remove the nipple and use a stainless nipple, then the angle stop.

Comment

Most plumbers here use Blk . , but it must be coated [factory] , painted , wrapped in tape , or run in a conduit . I was using it in Vegas too . I prefer to use poly , either compression or fusion joints .

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                  You guy's have some toxic gas over there, I haven't heard of it flaking here and causing problems with regulators........have any of you other west coasters??
                  Not out here but apparently it's a problem nation wide due to the fact that both mcdonalds and pepsico along with Albertsons do not allow any galvanized in their buildings as we are putting them up.

Comment

Working...
                  X