Pex or Copper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex or Copper

I'm looking at modular homes and I have an option to go either Pex or Copper. I didn't get a price but I assume the copper will be more. I will be meeting with the salesman again this Thur. Which system would you go with if the price differential isn't that great.

Willy Victor

Re: Pex or Copper

Personally, Copper.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Copper is a lot more expensive than Pex tubing. I think copper is around 4-5 times as much as pex tubing is. If you go with Type L copper, it might be 6 times as much since its thicker

If I were to build a house, I personally would use copper. Don't ask me why, but it is just hard to believe those little copper crimp rings on pex aren't going to bust in a few years. I like soldered joints over any snap in type joints or crimped joints. I'm sure people can show reasons why pex is better than copper, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Just my .02
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I second that, I just don't trust those crimp's. Also theres nothing like a house piped in copper thats neatly done, nice and straight and nice solder joints.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

What kind of water quality do you guys have in Illinois? Will this house be on a slab or crawlspace? How long will you be in the house? I like pex for numerous reasons. Something else to take into consideration, pex withstands freezing much better than copper. I don't use type m copper, only L for supply lines when I run it. The manifold system is another advantage for pex. Rememeber, every pipe will leak at one point. Future planning now will ease the headaches later.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I am a bit of an old timer, I recommend copper type l only and make sure their plumber reams the darn pipe. I love pex because it is easy and quick, but as far as long term, I believe copper is more efficient and rodent proof. Go copper, type L, reamed you will be very happy with the finished product.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Either way , unless there is a crawl or basement , I like my pipes overhead . I'd rather patch a ceiling than bust my floor and wait for the next one . What do you guys prefer .

Comment

I do everything either in the crawl space or in the attic,

I am doing a house right now, mostly on a crawl space, 1 full new bath on a slab, I am running the copper in the ceiling for the bath on the slab, never gonna run water in the slab, preventative maint It is a pain and more expensive to run it over and then up and over the wall and back down, but it is worth it for my customer
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

I had a job a month ago where the customer walked barefoot into his garage and jumped right back into his house. He had a underslab leak due to quest pipe and it turned his floor into a radiant heater. The water also eroded a 2 ft hole under his slab that he had to get filled in.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. The house will be in Mich., with a full basement 8ft. walls so it looks like I'll go with the copper. I'll be getting back with the Dealer on Thur.

Willy

Comment

Working...
                    X