Most common job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most common job?

I stand corrected regarding the threads topic.
    My most common job the past two weeks has been free estimates.
    I'm seriously considering charging.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      I stand corrected regarding the threads topic.
      My most common job the past two weeks has been free estimates.
      I'm seriously considering charging.
      That sucks,sorry to here that Duck.I know of a few people that have qualified person show up thinking that they are quoting a project when in reallity the guy is just picking your knowledge to do it himself.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Mark,

Can I cut roots out of a 4" line with the 50,if so I see no reason not to get it.I remember very clearly over a month ago you were the first to respond to my inquiry on which snake.I just thought if the 60 would through a 2" trap bigger is better,I am starting to think after your post it may be overkill
        It would clear the drain but not as well as a K-60 would. The difference is you can use your K-50 as a top-snake where you cannot with a K-60. What you really need to look at is what percentage of your drain cleaning would be main lines versus everything else.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Many years ago a HO called with an emergency water main break he needed fixed ASAP as his water was off. I dropped everythig and rushed over there only to find several other companies already there. As it turned out he called us all to see who would get there first and who would be the cheapest. We all left and for the next several weeks I would drive by to see him digging up his own lawn.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Mark,

Can I cut roots out of a 4" line with the 50,if so I see no reason not to get it.I remember very clearly over a month ago you were the first to respond to my inquiry on which snake.I just thought if the 60 would through a 2" trap bigger is better,I am starting to think after your post it may be overkill

adam, the 50 will not do roots with the 5/8'' cable.

the 60 with the 7/8'' will do a good job. also the 60 will run the 5/8'' cable too for 1.5'' - 3'' c/o's. a k-39 will take the place of the 50 for 5/16'' and 3/8'' cables.

if you need one for a test drive, let me know. i have them coming out my ears

there's good money in cleaning drains when you know what you're doing. and since you come from a construction plumbing backround, you are 90% ahead of the pack already. let me know and we can work it out.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Many years ago a HO called with an emergency water main break he needed fixed ASAP as his water was off. I dropped everythig and rushed over there only to find several other companies already there. As it turned out he called us all to see who would get there first and who would be the cheapest. We all left and for the next several weeks I would drive by to see him digging up his own lawn.

Mark
              Thats a beautiful thing.
              Just beautiful.
              Friend of mine showed up to start a job about a year ago...the women he spoke with was there when he got there...so was the plumber she'd already hired and decided to stop in the middle of the work he'd already pulled permits for and half finished, she'd apparently asked around and learned his prices coulda been lower.
              My friend explained to her that he'd scheduled other jobs around her..that what she'd done was both illegal and unethical.
              She apparently didn't think before she spoke when she decided to say "You can't prove I called you, or that you were even here."
              The GC, his help, the other plumber and his apprentice all openly explained to her that they completely witnessed the entire conversation and would be VERY happy to sign statements for court.
              My buddy walked with $300 cash for his half hours time.
              The other plumber yelled "You undercharged!" as he left.

Comment

Thats odd you bring that up. A few weeks ago there was a similar problem that made it to the news paper. A lady called 2 plumber's and one got there a few minutes before the other. The second plumber called his boss who told her to charge her for the travel time and overtime charge, since it was on a Sunday I believe. Anyway the lady didn't sign the job ticket nor pay, needless to say the Newspaper supported the second plumber actually and it is headed to court. It sounds like it's a easy case and she'll have to pay.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting....

Comment

Anytime Tom.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

We are pretty much like everyone else here. The majority of our work is service...fall time we get a lot of "No heat" calls.

Spring time..I must replace or repair 20-30 outside faucets from people leaving their hoses hooked up to them. It actually drives me nuts..lol

We also fill in with people building custom homes or additions. We really don't work for builders or carpenters (for obvious reasons)..but we kept 2 that pay extremely fast and pay our price(the way it should be).

Water heaters? pffft I'm telling ya..I almost forget(I'm joking) how to install a water heater cause it's been so long...lol. Home Depot,Lowes,handymen, are killing the water heater business in my area.

We were good for at least 30-50 Water Heaters a year..now we are down to 15-20...it's sad.

But on the other hand..we are good for at least 5-10 boilers a year...handymen can't do that!

But all in all..we have been slow as heck for the last 2 years..worst my father has seen it in 40 years. The phones start ringing pretty good..then BAM..dead for a few weeks...it's been happening in spurts for us lately.

Comment

Working...
                      X