Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbers Diet

Originally posted by Josh View Post
    Great job Duck... very important thing to watch. Most people dont pay any attention to their diet until they have their first heart attack.

I think that changes in diet only effect about 20% of patients because only about 20% of patients actually change their diets or know how to change their diets.

I know someone who is close to me who "tried" the diet thing but was so totally off on what they thought they needed to cut out that it really had no chance of making a difference. so now they live with high cholesterol and take medication every day

Eat healthy everyone... I dont want to read any of you posting from the hospital.

Josh
    Brings to mind another problem I only noticed once I started eating right.
    There is a HUGE difference between eating healthy and eating what "looks" healthy.
    At the grocery store it seems every food distributor wants to appeal to the "healthy" stigma by stressing "low carbs" or "low sugar", "low sodium"..
    Or by selling things that are less than pallatable (tofu or soy burgers....ewwww).
    Even my soon to be was buying anything that had labels that stated anything with a semblance to "healthy".
    I can eat salt, sugar, carbs...I can eat things with flavor (yup...some people seem to think if it isn't flavorful it's gotta be healthy and companies capitilize on that stigma)
    Come to find out all the things I like I can still have, they make ice cream, cheese, milk, margerine, eggs(whites) and even chips/snacks that are reduced or trans fat and saturated fat free.
    I learned to avoid labels that appealed to trends and read them for what's really healthy for me.
    Last edited by DuckButter; 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM.

Comment

You young guys need to be careful with your health. I found out I was Diabetic at 35. I was walking up to three times a day an hour each time and kayaking an hour a day (time & weather permitting). I quit smoking and all of the bad stuff and still lost my kidneys at 48. Between the steriods from my transplant and the six months in a wheel chair after a broken leg and the three surgeries which have followed I put on 50 pounds. Before the transplant they told me it would be hard to keep the weight off but I never would have guessed it would be this hard.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        You young guys need to be careful with your health. I found out I was Diabetic at 35. I was walking up to three times a day an hour each time and kayaking an hour a day (time & weather permitting). I quit smoking and all of the bad stuff and still lost my kidneys at 48. Between the steriods from my transplant and the six months in a wheel chair after a broken leg and the three surgeries which have followed I put on 50 pounds. Before the transplant they told me it would be hard to keep the weight off but I never would have guessed it would be this hard.

Mark
        Mark,

You got the transplant , you have a wonderfull family who would do anything.

When i say to robert that he has a chance of getting lung cancer cause of smoking he says:well my dad is 80 and smokes his whole life and he is fine!!

I tell him at least you have the option to quit and maybe reduce those chances.

The point is that these days we all have the option to do or choose someting different.

And it is basicly up to yuo to change it.

Mark,you have all the time to lose those 50 but important thing is that you are still here.

My godfather has a diabetes back in europe,they had to cut his finger off,then another finger,then the toe,and recently his half leg.

Every time my godmather comes to visit us she buys some specials sock that he has to wear and she cannot buy it in europe.

It is so easy and so ignorant to say these days: oh i'm young ,nothing bad is gonna happen to me or i'm too young to get a cancer.But exactly those words one day people do regret

I use to be a sucker to buy the boxes that says low fat on them. Now i but the ones after i read the label on it if i'm buying it for the first time

It's all about moderate eating if you are eating fast food,exercise and healthy living.

I know all plumbers are tired after they come home from work and in no chance they will go running

But there can be a fun time,going camping,bicecycle,walking the dog,any kind of exercise will raise your heart beat

Luckily there are good wives that take good care of their hubbies

Comment

Zeljka,

Let Robert know my mother is 80-years old as well and has smoked for the last 60-years. As kids we grew up at Muscle Beach in Santa Monica because my mom has been a life guard and swimming instructor her entire life. At Muscle Beach my mom would be the top person on a 12-person pyramid and do all sorts of stunts. She took us camping every summer and was the Secretary of the San Diego WPGA. In her retirement she lived on a Country Club where she would golf 7-days per week.

Today she sits in a home dependent on inhalers and breathing machines. She can remember things from 60-years ago but not 60-minutes ago. As it turns out smoking increases your chances of getting Alzheimer’s by 50%. I love my mother to death and will take her as she is. However, I have to wonder how it could have been if her lungs and mind were in as good of shape as the rest of her body.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
            Luckily there are good wives that take good care of their hubbies
            I finally got married at the age of 35 (commitment issues) I weighed 165lbs. Now 10 years of mrs. PC's cooking I'm over 225 . I shouldn't blame her for my size. I eat a bowl of Breyers ice cream every night and if I could figure out how to hook up a milk dispenser to my refrigerator door I would.

We mostly eat healthy at home but with so many nice restaurants nearby it's hard not to over indulge.

I'm about a good stomach flu away from my ideal weight.

Then I would just be happy if my thighs didn't rub together when I walk
            Last edited by plumberscrack; 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM.

Comment

For what this is worth smoking kills the life out of those that have to suffer being around smokers. First we have to breath their fumes. Second we have to watch them loose their health and that very much upsets us. I can assure you that what goes into each and everyone of us has great effects on our lives and the lives of those that care for us or that we care for. If we don't make needed changes now, tomorrow it just may be too late. Smoking is very very hard to quit. It's a very serious drug addiction and must be dealt with as such. Get good professional help from good doctors and nurses and don't just stop. Slow down a little at a time, but then do quit and have some good tuff and strong minded people around to be sure you stay off them. I can assure you that in the end it's well worth the efforts. While I never have and doubt I ever will smoke, I have had family members that were chain smokers and their lives would have been so different if they had quit when young. The rest of us went through hell because of their health problems during the last several years of their lives. No one needs to go through this stuff. Get help and quit. If you live with smokers DEMAND they never light up near you and get nasty. You must protect yourself from other people's fumes too. Make them go outside even in the rain or snow. I truly pitty the young men and women that work in bars where the place is really smoked up. They know NOT what it's doing to them and soon it's too late when the damages are done.

Plumbers: Watch all kinds of fumes. Protect yourselves It's worth the effort for sure.

Comment

Gotta love the wifes food Gotta love those smokes too........... for a little bit longer
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                  Robert has/had high blood pressure 2 years ago. Started with high blood pressure pills 2 of them a day. Stopped smoking-started smoking-stopped=started again. Not until i cut all the fast food crap out of his menu his blood pressure started to go down.

No more mcdonalds,jack from the box,el poco loco and things like that.

He cut down on his ciggarettes to max 3 a day.

Instead i make homemade food that he can take for his lunch next day if he has time to eat.

Last time we had fries was at phcc show in long beach with you guys.

No more oil,sodium and fat and he is good to go
                  Very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Very interesting

LOL Dirty, that was a once in a while treat on saturday, thanks to you my friend
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

What's with the anti smoking threads lately? I appreciate the thoughtful and well placed comments on why you shouldn't smoke but as a grown man who knows and understands the dangers of smoking, it's my choice to smoke. I understand the comments weren't directed at anyone in particular(except maybe to Robert by his loving wife) but how to live ones life is a personal desicion. Everyone has their vices in life, mine is smoking as it is for other people. Respect our ignorance and addiction and stop preaching. I know everyone's heart was in the right place but sometimes we do things we know is bad for us.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        What's with the anti smoking threads lately? I appreciate the thoughtful and well placed comments on why you shouldn't smoke but as a grown man who knows and understands the dangers of smoking, it's my choice to smoke. I understand the comments weren't directed at anyone in particular(except maybe to Robert by his loving wife) but how to live ones life is a personal desicion. Everyone has their vices in life, mine is smoking as it is for other people. Respect our ignorance and addiction and stop preaching. I know everyone's heart was in the right place but sometimes we do things we know is bad for us.
                        I wasn't preaching and I'am deffinatly not The next Joel Osteen. I just expresed my opinion that I'am entitled to

END OF STORY

MRS.WC
                        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-30-2007, 11:07 PM.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

gear i hear ya loud and clear, i was a smoker 3 packs of marlboro 100s for 14 years, and yes i smoked them i didn't just let them burn. now being smoke free for over a year i think it is fair to say i can planly see both sides of the fence on this one. and i think what it boils down to is this, we as non smokers feel very stongly about wanting to help smokers quit for heath reasons weather yours or ours. now that being said i also under stand why smokers get so upset abut hear this, heck i remeber my mother smoking in the grossery store, heck try that now .... eek and heck all of our founding fathers smoked.

i feel there needs to be some kind of middle ground for smokers. it is almost like you guys are being treated like you got cuddeis lol ........ um you don't ..... do ya??? lol
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Ben,

What good are us old guys if we can’t share our experiences with you? Telling you stories about smoking is no different than telling you about drain cleaning equipment. No one is telling you, you have to do anything we are just making sure you have the information to make an informed decision. What you do with that information is up to you.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                              For what this is worth smoking kills the life out of those that have to suffer being around smokers. First we have to breath their fumes. Second we have to watch them loose their health and that very much upsets us. I can assure you that what goes into each and everyone of us has great effects on our lives and the lives of those that care for us or that we care for. If we don't make needed changes now, tomorrow it just may be too late. Smoking is very very hard to quit. It's a very serious drug addiction and must be dealt with as such. Get good professional help from good doctors and nurses and don't just stop. Slow down a little at a time, but then do quit and have some good tuff and strong minded people around to be sure you stay off them. I can assure you that in the end it's well worth the efforts. While I never have and doubt I ever will smoke, I have had family members that were chain smokers and their lives would have been so different if they had quit when young. The rest of us went through hell because of their health problems during the last several years of their lives. No one needs to go through this stuff. Get help and quit. If you live with smokers DEMAND they never light up near you and get nasty. You must protect yourself from other people's fumes too. Make them go outside even in the rain or snow. I truly pitty the young men and women that work in bars where the place is really smoked up. They know NOT what it's doing to them and soon it's too late when the damages are done.

Plumbers: Watch all kinds of fumes. Protect yourselves It's worth the effort for sure.
                              This was the post I was referring to. I should have been more specific. Mrs. WC, it seems you were trying to get us to help Robert quit. That's my take and that's what a good wife does. Please don't beat me up!!! END OF STORY

just kidding, I couldn't resist.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

This was the post I was referring to. I should have been more specific. Mrs. WC, it seems you were trying to get us to help Robert quit. That's my take and that's what a good wife does. Please don't beat me up!!! END OF STORY

just kidding, I couldn't resist.

LOL, my wife say's she isn't trying to make me quit, because she can't, I will have to do that on my time, she understands She is a good wife And all of you are good friends
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X