Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbers Diet

HA-HA,

I was ignorant for over 25 years w/smoking.Until early this year I was fed up taking chances with the gift of life I've been blessed with.There was a reacuring pain in my left lung for about half a year before I quit,it hasn't bothered me in about a month.So I may be off the hook wiyh the big C.

I used to think I had time to keep on smoking being that I was younger and worked in hard physical labor.

Wait till you get that pain in your lung.Hope you have health insurance.

I respect you.And because of that I'm preaching.Because we give a $#!t about each other.

GOT A PROBLEM WIT DAT,BOYS

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Mrs. WC,

Please don't beat me up!!!

scaredy cat....she's just a little girl
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

wow, when i posted this thread, i didn't think that there would be such a response to it. i am blown away about all the interest and all the health concerns.

i too have high cholesterol 190 and i believe it is both my fault, joeys fault and my genes as my brothers also have high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

sorry to add this last photo, but this morning on my way to the first and only all day hot job, i stopped at a kwik-e- mart. aka 7-11 Doha.

needless to say i too have a few items in my basket.

photo taken from the truck while i was driving

i don't drink coffee, alcohol, or smoke. never

but i can't stay away from the sweets

rick.
        Attached Files
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          wow, when i posted this thread, i didn't think that there would be such a response to it. i am blown away about all the interest and all the health concerns.

i too have high cholesterol 190 and i believe it is both my fault, joeys fault and my genes as my brothers also have high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

sorry to add this last photo, but this morning on my way to the first and only all day hot job, i stopped at a kwik-e- mart. aka 7-11 Doha.

needless to say i too have a few items in my basket.

photo taken from the truck while i was driving

i don't drink coffee, alcohol, or smoke. never

but i can't stay away from the sweets

rick.
          LOL-Are you telling us that was your breakfast?

Mark

Comment

Here's my story...
            Back in January, I started feeling a constricted feeling in my chest, not being a dummy, I left work and had the wife take me to the doctor. Luckily, It was just an esophigal(sp?) spasm that the doc said felt like the beginnings of a heart attack. Coming from a family where heart disease runs rampant on my fathers side and non-existant on my mothers, I went to a cardiologist. My EKG was that of a 18 year old, my blood pressure was 117 over 70, couldn't get my pulse to the target rate on the inclined treadmill, but my cholesterol was a whopping 270! The cardilogist told me not to make any drastic changes in my diet ("It will just make you grouchy and miserable and make everyone else wish you would drop dead") because mine was a genetic thing. Instead he prescribed "simvastatin". one pill each day at a cost of $10 per month with the insurance. In 60 days, my level dropped to 131. I didn't make any drastic changes in the diet, but I make a conscious effort not to go overboard on the bacon and such. I don't exercise,other than work, I drink 10-12 cups of coffee each day,lots of Dr. Pepper (it says "Dr." so it must be good for you, right?) and love pizza, gravy, red meat etc. I go back for another test at the end of August.
            So, my advise is; Go get yourself checked NOW even if you feel O.K. If a problem exists, it can only be corrected if you are alive!
            Now I gotta quit smoking, too.

Jack
            Jack

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
              Here's my story...
              Back in January, I started feeling a constricted feeling in my chest, not being a dummy, I left work and had the wife take me to the doctor. Luckily, It was just an esophigal(sp?) spasm that the doc said felt like the beginnings of a heart attack. Coming from a family where heart disease runs rampant on my fathers side and non-existant on my mothers, I went to a cardiologist. My EKG was that of a 18 year old, my blood pressure was 117 over 70, couldn't get my pulse to the target rate on the inclined treadmill, but my cholesterol was a whopping 270! The cardilogist told me not to make any drastic changes in my diet ("It will just make you grouchy and miserable and make everyone else wish you would drop dead") because mine was a genetic thing. Instead he prescribed "simvastatin". one pill each day at a cost of $10 per month with the insurance. In 60 days, my level dropped to 131. I didn't make any drastic changes in the diet, but I make a conscious effort not to go overboard on the bacon and such. I don't exercise,other than work, I drink 10-12 cups of coffee each day,lots of Dr. Pepper (it says "Dr." so it must be good for you, right?) and love pizza, gravy, red meat etc. I go back for another test at the end of August.
              So, my advise is; Go get yourself checked NOW even if you feel O.K. If a problem exists, it can only be corrected if you are alive!

Jack
              thank's jack.

i will talk to my dr. about simvastatin. i too am a dr. pepper fan

i am taking 1.5 pills a day of zocor.

prior to marriage, i didn't eat dinner every night. now my cholesterol and weight have gone up.

thanks joey.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                LOL-Are you telling us that was your breakfast?

Mark

that was my breakfast and lunch.

i split a costco pizza with 3 friends as joey was not going to be home in time.

i guess i could have been the plumber in the picture

minus the milk

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

LOL-So who's your nutritionist?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
                    Here's my story...

Jack
                    What were you eating at time of spasm? are you prone to hiccups? Had both at same time Fun Fun. Usually dry chicken or whole wheat bread brings it on for me.

Comment

Rick, another thing I forgot to mention -
                      When I stopped eating the trans and saturated fats...during that 3 month period I ate more...for some reason I felt like I needed to compensate for the loss of all the ice cream and cheese ( I love alfredo...no more o dat)
                      So I ate alot more whole grain stuff and pasta than I would usually, also lots of seafood for the unsaturated fats.
                      I figured I was going to put on weight, but my concern was getting the cholesterol down.
                      I lost almost 20 pounds...how or why is a mystery because I was eating much more.
                      My doc said that it was likely the trans and saturated fats slowed my metabolism down causing me to burn fewer calories.

Comment

Now that I have been married for awhile, I have been able to put on a couple extra pounds, and keep it, I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want and get up the next am, watch some oprah and burn the the fat
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          Now that I have been married for awhile, I have been able to put on a couple extra pounds, and keep it, I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want and get up the next am, watch some oprah and burn the the fat
                          i've seen your wife cook.

joey and i were amazed at the amount of butter in the pan

we will both eat good on thursday night

rick.

ps.adam called and busted you. i already knew
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            i've seen your wife cook.

joey and i were amazed at the amount of butter in the pan

we will both eat good on thursday night

rick.

ps.adam called and busted you. i already knew
                            That butter belonged there.

How else are you gonna make rice a roni withgought butter?

And that barbecue chicken we had was sooooo much heatlhier then that doughnut and that drink of yours put together

I can tell you that cheesecake you are planning to eat on thursday has so much more calories then my butter

Comment

IN the last year, I went in the locally sponsored health fair, and said I had High blood pressure, well they prescribed meds, and have been on them now it helps control it,
                              but in the mean time I noticed my clothes shrinking and each year it was getting worst, so I decided to do some thing about it.
                              (When I blew my knee out a number of years ago is when the weight problem started, was on crutches for 12 weeks, 5 hrs of surgery, and in braces and so on for nearly a year, made a lawn tractor into a cross country wheel chair to do chores with around the farm, and then basically quit from construction as if you can't walk your not much good on a job site).

Any way, I was up to 268 pounds and I started to cut things out and eat less, one of the big things was to cut out sodas (pop) down to less than a can a day, and then for most things cut the amount that I ate to less in many instances in half, (instead of two hamburgers one and so on), it took about 8 months to actually to start to lose weight, but then I slowly started to, and the other day I weighed in at 239. nearly 30 pounds now.
                              I basically feel better and can breath when bent over, and my knees are not hurting as much, as the once did.
                              the blood pressure is not benefiting as much as I had hoped, but I still want to lose some more. it may help in the long haul.

Since were on the farm we raise a lot of our own food,
                              chickens and eggs, milk from the goats, beef (all natural) and some times grind our own wheat for bread, (wife baked bread all the time when the kids were home), and wife has a large vegetable garden, and raises good potatoes.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Humorous note:
                                We have threads on wrenches, threads on technique, threads on tools.
                                start a thread 'bout food and it's explodes into a 5 page mini novel within 24 hours.
                                I see where our priorities are...hehehe.

Comment

Working...
                                X