Quick Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quick Question

GOOD POSTS, TO ANWSER RICKS QUESTION ABOUT OTHER JOBS, THIS WAS BEFORE E. P. A. MANDATED CK. VALVE AT WATER METERS,
    ALSO AS HE SAYS I HAVE WORKED IN MANY PARTS OF L. A. WHERE THE STREET WATER PRESS. WAS 150 PSI. OR MORE BOTH ABOVE ISSUES NEGATE A PRV BYPAS,
    SPEC. NOTE; A T & P VALVE IS A EMGENCY SAFTEY BRAKE OF LAST RESORT SO GO AHEAD AND CUT THE SAFTEY BRAKE CABLES ON YOUR WIFES OR KIDS CAR AND LET THEM TAKE A RIDE DOWN A STEEP MUNTAIN ROAD AND BET THAT THE REGULAR BRAKES WILL ALWAYS HOLD,
    IT'S LIKE GAMBLING YOUR CO. BUSSNESS TITLE IN LAS VEGAS,

JERRYMAC MASTER PLUMBER
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

my suggestion would be to find another job. i have had the same type of exoerience's in the past when i first started in the trade. there is one thing that you need to remember, your reputation will follow you for years to come. i worked with a guy who didi some really bad work when i was younger. decided to leave the company because of it and im glad i did. i have been back to a couple of the jobs i did with him and people have acctually remembered me. keep in mind i live in a city of a few million people, but its still small enough that bad work will haunt you.
      how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Re: Leaking T&P valve on a new W heater

Since I just experienced a smiliar situation on a new W heater the home owner attempted to install, I traced the problem to a worn out pressure reducer valve on the incoming water line to the home. The pressure was just a tad high 102psi. Once that device was changed out, the T&P valve stoped leaking.

Comment

"In My Years Of Exp. Training People I Would Not Like Them To Argue With Me On The Job. But!!! I Did Want All Their Questons
          asked Outside At The Truck Or On The Road Where Other People
          would Not Know What Was Being Said,"

This is a good point that JerryMac makes Aaron. If you have questions about how or why something is being done do not do so in front of the client. this is not the way to conduct yourself on the job. Nothing wrong with asking Qs so you can understand the hows and whys, or offering an opinion, observation, or possible solution to a problem, that's how you learn. But don't make your coworkers look like (or accuse them of) they don't know what they are doing. This is where knowing how to ask questions w/o offending someone comes in handy. So to paraphrase an old axiom: "think twice and ask once"
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            "In My Years Of Exp. Training People I Would Not Like Them To Argue With Me On The Job. But!!! I Did Want All Their Questons
            asked Outside At The Truck Or On The Road Where Other People
            would Not Know What Was Being Said,"

This is a good point that JerryMac makes Aaron. If you have questions about how or why something is being done do not do so in front of the client. this is not the way to conduct yourself on the job. Nothing wrong with asking Qs so you can understand the hows and whys, or offering an opinion, observation, or possible solution to a problem, that's how you learn. But don't make your coworkers look like (or accuse them of) they don't know what they are doing. This is where knowing how to ask questions w/o offending someone comes in handy. So to paraphrase an old axiom: "think twice and ask once"

Very well said Bob D!
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Hi, this post is very informative; however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
              UK Wholesale Suppliers UK Dropshipping
              France Dropship Suppliers Property Pakistan

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post
                this happened while I was working in Seattle. I was not involved.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/33094_boom28.shtml
                Why didn't the element break when turned on with no water around it?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Why didn't the element break when turned on with no water around it?
                  i would think that the heater was not empty to that point. typically the elements alternate between the top and bottom. hard to tell exactly what happened when you find them in that condition.

the thermostat is also one that is not typically submerged, but just pressing on the tank shell. still a guess on what really happened since the plumber was there the day before.

keep in mind that any heater can be made dangerous. plugging or not having a relief valve is only 1 line of defense. a good line but not the only way to idiot proof a heater.

in my opinion, a gas heater has better safety devices than an electric heater.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick is correct in that water heaters do not explode on a regular basis. The majority of all T&P discharges are due to a faulty T&P rather than a problem with temperature or pressure. However, I do have a copy of Watt's video "Explosion-Danger Lurks" in my book case for anyone dumb enough to even consider capping off a T&P line.

Aaron I don’t recall if the plumber you were working with was your boss or your journeyman. If he was your journeyman you need to discuss your concerns with your boss. If he was your boss you need to pack your tools and head out.

I know it seems like jobs are hard to find but at 16 your mind is like a sponge. If the guy who is teaching you plumbing is doing things like this you are better off starting over with a new company then learning from a guy who has no clue.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rick, in no way did I refer to myself as a Journeymen Plumber, nor did I mean to. I however was reffering to my 'co-worker' who is the owner's son. Basically soon as I finish this Blue Print Course at the local Community College, and get my GED, I hope to be accepted into the union and be around educated plumbers and do larger, more challenging more. In no way am I saying I've 'mastered' residential plumbing by any means, nor am I saying I'm too good for it, it's just not interesting for me any more.

It was piped to the ground, the only thing is, the room next to it, is a finished fitness room, and it was causing damage.

I thank you very much for letting me know to get into the Union's schooling system.

Bob- I understand your point, but let's just say it's the builder, my co worker and myself, and he's getting ready to cut a pipe, or make a big decision right there and then, would you want me to ask the question several hours later after we've left the job, then causing us to come back another day?
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                      X