water pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pressure

I will try to my this as short as possible. All faucets in my home work great with the exception of ONE HOT WATER ONE! Here are the details of my home...
    1) Ranch home
    2) one end (nearest to hotwater tank and such in basement) I have washer,
    toilet, hand basin, kitchen sink, washsink, and outside faucet. ALL OF THESE WORK BEAUTIFULLY
    3) other end of home - tub, shower, sink, toilet, anothe outside faucet
    4) the problem - ONLY THE HOT WATER FAUCET (AT THE FAR END) ON THE TUB HAS VERY LITTLE, ALMOST NONE, WATER PRESSURE.
    The plumber came and said that the facuet is good but we probably need a 3/4 pipe not 1/2 from hot water tank. How can the sink which is only two feet away from tub have great pressure??????

Re: water pressure

Almost no water pressure at all from tub spout and showerhead?

How long has this been going on?

Find another plumber.

Even if the pipe is 1/2" all the way from the water heater you should have adequate pressure for the the tub if it's the only fixture running.

If the faucet checks out ok try looking for a shutoff valve on the back side of tub faucet it might be partially shut.

If it's a dip tube issue.......good luck

Comment

Hot water line should be the same size as the cold water line, you would think. So I do agree w/plumberscract and check out the shut off valve, it could be internally stuck or partial turned on or the faucet could have a chunk of mineral, solder or something else disturbing the water flow.

The hot entire water line could be almost corroded solid w/minerals deposits which could be in need of replacing. I saw a lot of this up in Alaska. But not to much in the lower 48's.
      Last edited by garager; 08-11-2007, 06:26 PM. Reason: adding more
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I agree with Crack, find another plumber

If this problem just started, then it is a problem with the valve, if you have galv pipe, then the problem could be there, don't think it is a dip tube because you are good everywhere else.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

If this is a moen faucet replace the cartridge and that should take care of it. freddy

Comment

It has been going on for a long time. We are trying to get ready to sell, we never use that bathtub so we never fixed it. It is only the hot water on the tub. (it is also affected the shower hot water) The sink runs great. It is all copper lines - do they corrode? And isn't the hot water line to the sink the same as to the tub? The plumber removed and checked all of the fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
              It has been going on for a long time. We are trying to get ready to sell, we never use that bathtub so we never fixed it. It is only the hot water on the tub. (it is also affected the shower hot water) The sink runs great. It is all copper lines - do they corrode? And isn't the hot water line to the sink the same as to the tub? The plumber removed and checked all of the fixtures.

A picture of the tub/shower valve would be a great help. I am wondering if it is pressure balanced? single handle? the tub and shower are one valve, correct? if it is, this is why it will also affect the shower...... you don't have any problems at the lav, correct? From what you said in your original post, I am having a hard time beliving it is anything other then the tub/shower valve. I think it is pressure balanced and needs either a new cartridge, if it is an old delta single handle, then a spindel.
              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 08-11-2007, 07:46 PM.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

correct - this is the only place
                there is a hot water knob and a cold water knob
                also the pressure decreased over time
                I just dont understand how if it was corrosion - why not the sink?

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                  correct -

also the pressure decreased over time
                  It sounds like you are having a volume problem rather than a pressure problem. The cause could be a damaged pipe, a pipe which is restricted with debris or a control valve which is restricted. If this is something which is a recent development I would say your valve would be the culprit. It should be fairly easy for a decent plumber to diagnosis the problem.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Isolated to just one hot water valve, with one next to it that works fine...
                    I'd start by looking along the line for any valves between the sink and tub...for potential constriction, then removing the hot stem...clean any debris and replace it with a new one...likely a central, maybe gerber...sometimes the old washers break up and create this kinda problem.

Comment

I only mentioned the dip tube thing because I once had a similiar problem with a tub faucet and it turned out to be a disintegrated dip tude.

The particles made it all the way through the piping system and aside from a few stopped areators the tub faucet wasn't getting hot water pressure.

When I took apart the stem and looked at the seat all was fine. So I was a little puzzled until I turned the water on without the stem or seat installed and a eraser size peice of dip tube landed in the tub.

It was a good thing too because their water pipes were buried under slab

Comment

2 handle, which unless there is an aftermarket pressure balance valve behind an access panel or in the crawl space would make it something wrong with the stem, very interesting...........kinda tricky and it takes 2 people, turn the water heater off, remove the hot side stem, leave the cold side closed and turn the hot water heater on, see what you get then, make sure the shower door is closed or the curtain so you don't get everything wet.

I had to do this once to get a little piece of wood out, it would cause speratic water hammer.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

1) This should have been posted on the "Ask the Experts" forum.

2) Utah is correct, this is a volume--not pressure problem.

3) This guy needs to hire a plumber, because he is clueless on what to do.

4) This is another, "I don't need no stinking high priced plumber, I'll just get on the internet and get simple answers" type of post.

5) Garanger knows nothing about plumbing (read his answers), why is he posting on the pro forum?
                          the dog

Comment

I'm going to add this, which will bring me no fans.

I am sick and tired of people treating my profession as a second class operation. Granger's post is indicative of this. The "I'm not a plumber, but here's what I think" answer to technical questions is an insult to our trade. It makes the internet useless as a research tool on forums because anyone will respond expertise or not.

No Granger, your assumption is wrong.

I want to change my vote to we set up a pro's only forum.
                            the dog

Comment

[quote=plumbdog10;88339]I'm going to add this, which will bring me no fans.

I am sick and tired of people treating my profession as a second class operation. Granger's post is indicative of this. The "I'm not a plumber, but here's what I think" answer to technical questions is an insult to our trade. It makes the internet useless as a research tool on forums because anyone will respond expertise or not.

I think you should be able to afford a plumber concedering you are putting your house on the market and you will make money selling it. No one puts the house on the market unless they have enough equity.

Since you have money to fix it find a plumber. I dislike people who try to do technical things by themsleves and the new owner gets stuck with cheap and non quality things..

In response to plumbdog he is right. It is like me google-ing the instalation of hardwood floors and doing it by myself

We both know how that would turn out

Comment

Working...
                              X