Gas line repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas line repair

A 50 year old, 3/4” inch galvanized water line, parallel and next to my house, visible on the ground, broke last week. There is a ¾” galvanized line parallel to it. I thought it was a second water line until we smelled natural gas when repairing the water line.

Now I have 2 leaks to be repaired.

Is a gas line supposed to be buried? What is the average pressure of these gas lines? Can I cap this gas line or, does it need a valve at the end? There are no threads available in the 9” section that is visible. Can I weld it closed? Maybe JB weld a 3/4" cap to the end of the line? Hi-pressure hose and hose clamps to continue the gas line?

Suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,
    BGC

Re: Gas line repair

Originally posted by BGC View Post
    A 50 year old, 3/4” inch galvanized water line, parallel and next to my house, visible on the ground, broke last week. There is a ¾” galvanized line parallel to it. I thought it was a second water line until we smelled natural gas when repairing the water line.

Now I have 2 leaks to be repaired.

Is a gas line supposed to be buried? What is the average pressure of these gas lines? Can I cap this gas line or, does it need a valve at the end? There are no threads available in the 9” section that is visible. Can I weld it closed? Maybe JB weld a 3/4" cap to the end of the line? Hi-pressure hose and hose clamps to continue the gas line?

Suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,
    BGC

Per our UPC, the gas line either needs to be buried 12" if it's steel pipe, 18" if its Plastic pipe, or, 6" above ground, not laying on the ground.

The average residential gas pressure is 1/2 lbs. on the customers side.

You CANNOT weld, JB Weld or hose clamp it closed

I am not sure of your total length, if it is a long run there is a joint every 21' feet. It is best to uncover it until you find a joint then cut it, unscrew it and install a cap on it. Use a 3/4 galv threaded cap.

You do not need a valve on the end if you are just terminating the line.

Questions to ask yourself........where is the line going? what is it tied to?? Am I capping it from the supply side? (Make sure you know what direction the gas coming from.!) What fixtures will be without gas once I cap it??

If you can, take pictures, pictures are excellent!
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Just to add to what Robert posted, if it is a steel pipe it should have been covered with a factory applied coating and all fittings and wrench marks covered with 10 Mil tape to prevent corrsion.

Mark

BTW: TURN YOUR GAS OFF UNTIL THE LEAK IS REPAIRED!
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 08-11-2007, 09:41 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Call a locally licensed/insured professional...I wouldn't even consider encouraging you to do this in good conscience.
        Leaky faucet, drain, water pipe...sure.
        If this leak is an indicator of other potential trouble...you could wind up burying a bomb.
        There are cases of gas leaks seeping underground and leading to fatal consequences after building up.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Just to add to what Robert posted, if it is a steel pipe it should have been covered with a factory applied coating and all fittings and wrench marks covered with 10 Mil tape to prevent corrsion.

Mark

BTW: TURN YOUR GAS OFF UNTIL THE LEAK IS REPAIRED!

Mark, one question, you mean't 20 mill tape, correct? If I remember it was 20 mill tape, althought 10 mill is easier to work with, the inspector wants to see an overlap making it 20 mill tape.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            Mark, one question, you mean't 20 mill tape, correct? If I remember it was 20 mill tape, althought 10 mill is easier to work with, the inspector wants to see an overlap making it 20 mill tape.
            I think Utah was referring to 10mil wrapped twice, which is a given for anyone who knows what he is doing. Your post was good because there are more than a few people who are lost on this forum and won't get the shorthand.

Good point.
            the dog

Comment

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to. Thanks to both of you.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
              X