X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toughest Plumbing Code

Right, here we mostly use Burnham or Weil Mc Lain...Buderus, Viessman, Munchkin and a few others are in pursuit of the high end market.
    The fact that our local gas co offers substantial rebates on high AFUE boilers has been making them popular where some models run in the upper 90% range.
    We also get good rebates on tankless and indirect...I've been doing alot of Superstor (same mfg as munchkin) and boilermate's.

Comment

I wish they were giving us rebates on the tankless...They're a prettytough sell for me because of the high initial cost, i think the customers would be alot more willing to get them....There was a call back on the weil-mclain ultra series boiler, not sure if you guys were affected but i know a guy who installed one the week befoe the call back...
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Big Pipe -

I don't understand why they wouldn't allow a waste line on an outside wall. Is it because it has the potential to freeze that fast?

I can understand why they wouldn't want a trap on an outside wall..but a regular waste line has me scratching my head.

Comment

Most parts of canada get to -30 regularly in the winter,even colder in alot of places. A frozen drain line is no stretch

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
            Most parts of canada get to -30 regularly in the winter,even colder in alot of places. A frozen drain line is no stretch
            -30? God bless ya brother! I promise I'll never complain again, when it's 15 degrees outside where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozone89 View Post
              -30? God bless ya brother! I promise I'll never complain again, when it's 15 degrees outside where I live.
              LOL...I lived in Maine for a year....got to -10 regularly...Canada's waaaayyy more north.

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                I wish they were giving us rebates on the tankless...They're a prettytough sell for me because of the high initial cost, i think the customers would be alot more willing to get them....There was a call back on the weil-mclain ultra series boiler, not sure if you guys were affected but i know a guy who installed one the week befoe the call back...
                I do Burnham...though Weil Mac. is almost as popular, I stay with what I'm familiar with.

How did that work out?
                Weil reimburse him for the install?

Comment

I think it was an orifice problem, and they just sent him the new orifices to install on his own volition. That was probably fun explaining to the customer why he had to shut down the system for half a day to change out the orifices a week after the boilers went in.

Comment

Illinois has it's own code. It is fairly restrictive. Cook County (Chicago) has a much more restrictive code. No pvc in commercial, pvc is allowed for residential 3 flats and smaller. You can't even use no hub on the cast iron, it is still caulk joints.

Comment

Thats outrageous. No hub is efficient and effective.
                      You guys dont still caulk with lead do ya?

Comment

Did the codes change Bogart ? I've built over 200 homes in southern Cook county using compression gaskets for my ground work ? THey all passed inspection . Is poly allowed there yet for gas or is it all black underground.

Comment

Gaskets are used underground. Above ground it's lead and oakum. I don't know what they use for gas. Some of the towns in Cook County don't let you use pvc anywhere, even residential.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                            Gaskets are used underground. Above ground it's lead and oakum. I don't know what they use for gas. Some of the towns in Cook County don't let you use pvc anywhere, even residential.
                            That sounds like Mafia,I would rather see lead and oakum in the soil,neoprene in the walls

Do you have any idea why they require this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                              Darn, I though NJ was backward and we dropped the lead & oakum
                              requirement about 27 years ago. It's still allowed as far as I know,
                              but hardly anyone uses it anymore except on rare occasions. When
                              I think about all the time I spent hovering around a lead pot and
                              breathing in all those nice fumes...man, the good old days weren't
                              so good for ya were they?? On a big job we'd be running 12" XH in the
                              ditch, those fumes had no where to go. Then you'd be hanging over
                              the pipe caulking the joint with your face only inches away from the
                              still hot lead and you could smell the oil in the oakum and hear it sizzling.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                                That sounds like Mafia,I would rather see lead and oakum in the soil,neoprene in the walls

Do you have any idea why they require this?
                                i believe it's a union thing. pretty much what you said

i think new york is the same

why do you think us Californians can't use pex

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X