X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toughest Plumbing Code

I think I may know the answer, but want to hear what everyone else has to say.

I've worked in..
    *Boca
    *National Standard
    *International
    *UPC

The hardest hands down had to be UPC. There was a town that had UPC, until it HAD change to the current State Plumbing code (international)..and it was a bugger!!

I liked it though, cause it kept out the illegal plumbers, and before you started any remodel, the inspector wanted a drawing from you.

Re: Toughest Plumbing Code

I'm not too sure about being the toughest but I prefer and believe the UPC is the most thorough. Therer is a reason so many jurisdictions adopted the International Building Codes but kept the Uniform Plumbing and Mechanical Codes over the International Codes.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Are all your 'earthquake' codes part of the upc, or are they part of a regional building code?
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Oddly enough there are not many earthquake related requirements in the code. The most notable one is earthquake straps are required on the water heaters. Where the weird part comes in is the Uniform Plumbing Code requires you reference the Uniform Building Code for the areas where earthquake straps are required and the International Plumbing Code requires you reference the International Building Code for the areas where earthquake straps are required.

Now that the ICBO is part of the ICC and the IAPMO is not there is nothing to reference for the UPC. To get around this discrepancy many jurisdictions are using the Mechanical Codes which require all appliances meant to be installed in a fixed location shall be anchored.

Mark

Comment

Well, the NSPC may not be the toughest, but today I heard that for the second time an error I found in the 2006 NSPC will be corrected because of me.

First time was a couple months ago I found a section that referenced a section that had been removed a couple revs ago in the 2001 code.

Yesterday I found a section that referenced an ANSI Std that has been withdrawn since 1987.

My bud in Trenton who works for the DCA (State Code Enforcement) says "good catch" on both items.

I just checked the PHCC website but the latest errata sheets don't appear to be posted yet. The latest I could find was the Oct 2006 copy.

Looking through the 2007 proposed changes I do not see where anyone else caught either of these errors, so maybe I will submit them for consideration.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The canadian plumbing code is no cake walk either. So many of our codes are geared towards frostproofing our systems. I was talking to an american fellow who couldnt imagine not being allowed to side wall vent a fixture, or run any piping in outsude walls

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
              The canadian plumbing code is no cake walk either. So many of our codes are geared towards frostproofing our systems. I was talking to an american fellow who couldnt imagine not being allowed to side wall vent a fixture, or run any piping in outsude walls
              Now see that is something I would like to more about but we don't run into it here.

Mark

Comment

Thats one reason our code allows flat vents and horizontal wet venting (curcuit venting after Sept 2/07). Vents are allowed in outside walls, no drains or water lines though.
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

I'm a tad confused here...are you saying in Canada you can't have a waste line on an outside wall? I never heard of frost proofing, so that is why I'm asking.

Comment

You can only Have dry vents on outside walls no drains or waterlines. There are ways to get around it, like feeding waterlines and drains from a lower floor directly into the cabinet, and offsetting at the drain/vent junction into the wall ( like honda said, a flatventing) Some contractors build a false or stub wall in front of the existing wall, but the 4" that wall takes away can make a small bathroom much smaller. It can be hard to convince a customer that his basement bathroom cant have any plumbing in the exterior walls, i've probably lost a few jobs because i wouldnt agree to risk it.

Comment

I'll vouch for that...especially with boilers and other cold weather plumbing code.
                      I've had inspectors give me the thumbs up on new appliances/fixtures that aren't yet listed here based on the fact that it's approved in Canada.
                      One example is Buderus' condensing boilers - not yet "officially" listed on our approved products list, but inspectors give 'em the ok.

Comment

CSA is a recognized testing agency under both the Uniform and the International Codes.

Mark

Comment

Buderus is not certified as a boiler by AHAC or any other hydronics body that i know of, however it is CSA approved as a hot water heating device.

Comment

Buderus is not certified as a boiler by AHAC or any other hydronics body that i know of, however it is CSA approved as a hot water heating device.
                            Could have sworn they were popular there...maybe it was Europe.
                            If you ever get the chance to install one, go for it..impressive piece of equipment.
                            You guys do Viessman?

Comment

They're just starting to catch on in western canada...they're pretty pricey still.
                              I did a riding arena that had 3 viesmans in it. Those things are very advanced, it took quite a while to get the whole system up and running. we used tekmars to control it, once everything was set right you could control almomst evry square foot of that building

Comment

Working...
                              X