New California Plumbing Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New California Plumbing Code

I'm pissed off that the State of California has finally adopted a new plumbing code (UPC with amendments), but allows some absolute leeches to charge $160.00 plus dollars for what amounts to a loose-leaf notebook of 99.9% of the last code, with a few changes.

It is not a problem with me or others, who can afford it or their company pays for it, I'm worried about the young plumber, working for a half-assed opperation, which doesn't.

Every plumber in this state should contact their rep and state senator and complain. Complain for the young and innocent guys coming up.
    the dog

Re: New California Plumbing Code

The NSPC is the same Dog. The changes from one edition to the next are not that extensive, but you have to get the full copy can't just get the updates.

I've been looking over the proposed changes for the next edition of the NSPC, it's 219 pages. Not all will be adopted hopefully.

NJ was poised to go drop the NSPC and go with the UPC last year but they didn't. Maybe next time.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

dog, i broke down and purchased mine at the trade show for $90 delivered. i would think with a little bit of research, the book can be found for a better price than 160.

it goes into effect on jan. 1st. so we have some time to find a better link.

is amazon a possibility?

i would hope that the new plumbers are issued a code book in their apprenticeship class. i know i was, but that was 26 years ago still have it and it's highlighted to the key issues i refer too.

the new one is a full 3 ring binder that i need to put tabs on it to help with the chapters.

go sick em dog

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        The NSPC is the same Dog. The changes from one edition to the next are not that extensive, but you have to get the full copy can't just get the updates.

I've been looking over the proposed changes for the next edition of the NSPC, it's 219 pages. Not all will be adopted hopefully.

NJ was poised to go drop the NSPC and go with the UPC last year but they didn't. Maybe next time.
        I'm not arguing that you don't need the entire code, I'm arguing the price gouging. If the state is adopting a particular code, and it is owned by a private enterprise then the state should produce that at a lower cost. Your capitalist economists would argue that the market always balances itself. I would argue that if the state adopts a copyrighted book as law, and protects that, and there is no competition based on it, they have done a disservice to their constituants, and it is a breakdown of capitalism.
        the dog

Comment

What about an entity that would invite the youth into the trade with a basic introduction to plumbing based on location(U.P.C.-I.P.C. or other) and provide a code book as part of the course.

UHHHHHHMMM.OH,Hello Ridgid

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
            I'm not arguing that you don't need the entire code, I'm arguing the price gouging. If the state is adopting a particular code, and it is owned by a private enterprise then the state should produce that at a lower cost. Your capitalist economists would argue that the market always balances itself. I would argue that if the state adopts a copyrighted book as law, and protects that, and there is no competition based on it, they have done a disservice to their constituants, and it is a breakdown of capitalism.
            Sorry Dog my last post was off your path

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              dog, i broke down and purchased mine at the trade show for $90 delivered. i would think with a little bit of research, the book can be found for a better price than 160.

is amazon a possibility?

i would hope that the new plumbers are issued a code book in their apprenticeship class. i know i was, but that was 26 years ago still have it and it's highlighted to the key issues i refer too.

the new one is a full 3 ring binder that i need to put tabs on it to help with the chapters.

go sick em dog

rick.
              Rick,

I understand you got your book for less. I mentioned that it doesn't effect guys like us.

Here's a challenge Rick: Think outside the box for a minute. I know it's hard, but think about someone who doesn't have what you have. Think about someone without your knowledge. Think about what is good for other plumbers and the industry. Think about what is right and wrong. Think about our rights as citizens.
              the dog

Comment

Rick,

I understand you got your book for less. I mentioned that it doesn't effect guys like us.

Here's a challenge Rick: Think outside the box for a minute. I know it's hard, but think about someone who doesn't have what you have. Think about someone without your knowledge. Think about what is good for other plumbers and the industry. Think about what is right and wrong. Think about our rights as citizens.

BuildersBook.com has them cheaper http://www.buildersbook.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=73

I understand dog, where your coming from, but if we are going to complain about the cost of code books for young guy's, let start to complain about the cost of tools for the same young guy's, a code book is like having a tool.

Let's talk about the cost of material, the new code regulations that raise the cost of material, the new water heater cost, we need to bring in everything that is causing the cost to raise. Material cost are so high now days that those same young guy's, and even us that have been doing it awhile are forced to lower our labor to remain competative.

I too wish code books could be less expensive, but I also wish material, insurance, operating cost, etc could also be less expensive
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

is amazon a possibility?

go sick em dog

rick.
                  Rick,

dog, exactly why i posted what i did.

i was stating that the book can be found for less and that there still is plenty of time before the code goes into effect.

robert just proved that with his link

i too feel that the book is way over priced. but it's hard to complain to the people i bought it from. i tried and got nowhere.

but i do raise a stink every time with the everpure reps. $119. for a replacement h300 cartridge is ridiculous.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

OK, I think I see what you are getting at Dog.

I have always thought though that if its part of a Law then it should not cost me one dime to read or get a copy of it. That's kinda like saying I need to subscribe to some service to get updates on changes to the Bill of Rights or Constitution. When ever a change is made in federal Law, Codes, or Regulations, it is published in the Federal Register. Why is it different for States?
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I remember a time when you could buy the UPC and then the seperate amendments for the States and Citys without the entire UPC. The list price of the 2007 UPC from IAPMO is $125.00 for non-members and $100.00 for members. Anyone needing member pricing let me know.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is one of the gripes I have about codes in general, it is a TAX, and it is a STATE REVENUE MACHINE, and in the end the consumer is the one that pays.

Ever few years it is up dated, and then the printers get there jollies in printing a book that probly has a cost of a few dollars, (compared to a good catalog),
                        but it GOVERNMENT mandated that A group of people buy this, then new text books need reprinted in any trade school or program, then you have the cost of inspectors that add to the cost, another TAX,

Your licence is a TAX as well,

YOUR TAXED, coming and going, and all in the name of public safety, and yet many of you say the system is broken and does not work. (untrained or over worked or they don't care).

saw a news story on phoenix area, an inspector was listed to inspect over 85+ inspections a day, there is no way one can travel and inspect that many units or buildings,

If that is not a tax or revenue machine for the state, then what is, it was not for public safety, you could not even look at the work and make that many stops, here is the link to the story.
                        http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/S...3104098&page=1

When it is said and done the issue is MONEY, and CONTROL, Public safety is way down on the list.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          OK, I think I see what you are getting at Dog.

I have always thought though that if its part of a Law then it should not cost me one dime to read or get a copy of it. That's kinda like saying I need to subscribe to some service to get updates on changes to the Bill of Rights or Constitution. When ever a change is made in federal Law, Codes, or Regulations, it is published in the Federal Register. Why is it different for States?
                          Thanks Bob,

You understand my complaint. I don't mind those who disagree, but I have a problem with those who don't understand the question.

For those who equate this with a tool, you don't understand that you already pay for your government. You should not have to pay to see the laws they choose to pass.

But most of you are sheep, so continue.
                          the dog

Comment

Thanks Bob,

You understand my complaint. I don't mind those who disagree, but I have a problem with those who don't understand the question.

For those who equate this with a tool, you don't understand that you already pay for your government. You should not have to pay to see the laws they choose to pass.

But most of you are sheep, so continue.
                            Your comment about us paying the government already, makes sense to me now, I understand your point and now agree with you 100% I just needed you slap me upside the head with your point and now I got it
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              Your comment about us paying the government already, makes sense to me now, I understand your point and now agree with you 100% I just needed you slap me upside the head with your point and now I got it
                              You are such a liar honey...

Didnt i tell you you are wrong yesterday about your post

And what did you tell me?? That i'm the one that doesn't understand....

Who is right again?? Me....you are lucky you married me

Comment

Working...
                              X