X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Threaded pipe / wicking

does anyone remember using the wonderful redlead? fun when trying to disassemble years later.

Comment

i use dope, wick and teflon tape on 2" and up threads

Comment

Originally posted by djrenek1 View Post
        i use dope, wick and teflon tape on 2" and up threads
        Overkill. You arent gaining anything by using all three. I use quick wick and dope on h.w. boilers.

Comment

One word Expando. If you don't want it to leak use Expando and wicking. They say you can get it apart, yea right two apes and two bigger widow makers maybe a smoke wrench it is tough stuff. 2" to 8" this stuff never leaks, fittings cut with a sawzall, grinder, hack saw just clean them up real good, mix up some Expando. Three steps Expando, wicking and more Expando. Wind that baby home let it set as per instructions. It won't leak. http://www.xpando.com/
          Last edited by Chauncey; 05-04-2008, 07:12 AM.
          WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
          ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
            Overkill. You arent gaining anything by using all three. I use quick wick and dope on h.w. boilers.
            when we do fire stop work / the fire marshall requires all three for threads larger than 2" for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by djrenek1 View Post
              when we do fire stop work / the fire marshall requires all three for threads larger than 2" for some reason
              That may be what he wants, but the bottom line is that's overkill.

Comment

Teflon tape was available early in my career - nice, heavy stuff. They claimed (though I could never prove) that it would seal a thread with a gouge through it as deep as the thread was.

I started in '66.

I remember old plumbers talking about making red lead pipe dope, but have never done it. Seems like Tite Unite or something like that was common when I started - the gray stuff with linseed oil that had to be mixed before you used it.

I have an ancient jar of teflon pipe dope from back in that era and it still works great.

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
                  Does any one here use wicking on your steel pipe threads [water] ? I use it for 2" and larger . Just curious.
                  Yes , I used to use lamp wick , ( wicking ) when I ddid fire sprinkler systems
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
                  X