X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded pipe / wicking

Does any one here use wicking on your steel pipe threads [water] ? I use it for 2" and larger . Just curious.

Re: Threaded pipe / wicking

At work now we are installing chilled water and hydronic lines They are vic but into the units its 2 1/2 to 3" Threaded and we use Teflon tape with Teflon dope. We do they same on steam.

Comment

In Spain and Kosovo they use horse hair with a thick smelly whitish paste.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I use key tite on my metal pipe threads, pro dope or some other white teflon paste on my tubular and plastic threads, I also use teflon tape if I feel like it.

Key Tite rocks on metal, just cannot use it on plastic unless you hate the customer or wanna make sure you will never have to return to remove the s/j or undo the threads.on thing, it will never ever leak
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I use masters orange t tape on my pipe threads, but if im dealing wth 60 psi+ I will put some pro dope on top for extra insurance. I worked in a few industial plants where PVC/CPVC was a must because of the harsh chemicals, and all heat exchagers were titanium. There was a big problem at the Ti/Pvc transtion joint becaus ethe different expansion rates, and i found the best thing to accomadate was to use a high heat silicone.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            In Spain and Kosovo they use horse hair with a thick smelly whitish paste.
            I installed a Viessman boiler that came with paste and wicking that looked like horsehair.

Didn't notice a smell which is unusual because I smell everything.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              I installed a Viessman boiler that came with paste and wicking that looked like horsehair.

Didn't notice a smell which is unusual because I smell everything.
              You'd know with this stuff, it almost smells like a grease clog, just more subtle. Even the hair smells bad.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You know , there have bein times when I would have liked to use lock-tite or key-tite but I never have . Silicone either though thats interesting . WEll , I assume most of us older plumbers have used wicking [that's what we had before teflon tape ].

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
                  You know , there have bein times when I would have liked to use lock-tite or key-tite but I never have . Silicone either though thats interesting . WEll , I assume most of us older plumbers have used wicking [that's what we had before teflon tape ].
                  apf, us old timers (happy 44th.) still had teflon tape back in the early days when i started in 1975 as a helper with my uncle. i know it was new back then.

i remember the real real old timers talking about them mixing up pipe dope.

don't remember all the parts,but i remember it was linseed oil &

mark, bhd, bob, pipestone kid, and the rest of the real old timers.

what was the formula

rick.
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-22-2007, 12:56 AM. Reason: happy birthday apf 8-22
                  phoebe it is

Comment

linseed oil, portland cement...and love
                    Last edited by bigPipe09; 08-22-2007, 02:50 AM.
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

That's funny . Now that you mention mention it Rick , it was around but not real popular in the early 80's . How bout those flashbacks

Comment

Some ol' timer told me he liked to mix cutting oil and plumbers putty instead of pipe dope.

But he also told me he used to carry cast iron bathtubs up the stairs on his back

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Some ol' timer told me he liked to mix cutting oil and plumbers putty instead of pipe dope.

But he also told me he used to carry cast iron bathtubs up the stairs on his back
                          He do plastering also?

Comment

MMM how about black Permatex. The had a gang at this job installing piping in the power plant side and they had to use it. I was in there box and I know why I HATE IT!

Comment

I remember some of the old guys telling me in the 70's they used to mix their own way back when but don't recall the recipe or if they even gave it. We had Teflon in tape and dope form and RectorSeal and the other well known products from Hercules and others, never had to mix my own.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X