Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing a water closet by yourself

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
    I don't caulk the back of the toilet for that reason.
    Now I can agree to this.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Looks like Dog just got a kick from the sewer guy

I love to screw with dogs in back yards
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I have seen numerous residential applications where a caulked toilet ruined adjacent spaces (carpet, wood ) because the water followed the channels under the tile.

I always leave a gap in the rear of a toilet in the caulk when working on stuff for friends.

On a second note, Last year I was replacing all the toilets in my home with "comfort height" toilets and on the first one, I was carrying it whole out to the garage and coughed while I had it in my arms. I dropped the toilet and spent two months with a chiropractor trying to put my back in line. Couldnt walk very well for a few days.

I will never carry one out by myself again, at least not in one piece.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          Do you know how many floors I have had to replace because the toilet gets caulked. If the toilet leaks later on, let this sucker come out on top of the floor. Sooner the HO's sees the leak, the bester it is for the HO's. Caulking the base of the bowl is not a good thing. When that wax ring starts to leak, instead of coming out onto the floor, the wood starts to absorb the water like a sponge. Now very shortly it will rot and the waste pipe will be holding up the toilet. You caulk the base for what, 2 reasons. #1--Looks, #2--Easier to clean.

Replacement of Floor vs Looks

I just had to replace another floor 2 weeks ago, this is a lot more common problem than you might tend to believe. I was also taught to caulk around the base, as a plumber. Then when I switched over to the Carpentry Trade, never again will I caulk the base. It would sound like job security, but I won't do it.
          a toilet or any fixture that comes in contact with any other surface requires caulking as per the plumbing code and health reasons.

can you picture what it looks like under a toilet that was not caulked. everyone misses the bowl sooner or later and without caulking the misses will end up under the toilet breeding bacteria.

also caulking helps stabilize a toilet to floor or wall connection. no floor is perfectly flat and no toilet is flat either. the caulking will fill the void and keep it from moving and rocking.

if it's not caulked, it's wrong and against our plumbing code. this is true with any plumbing fixture.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

The toilets need to be caulked, pulling a toilet and pulling the tiles off with the toilet because of caulk, yeah, ok....the reason the tiles came off was because the floor tiles were set improperly, not the fault of the caulk. I have had them pull of to find little or no thinset mortar or when the tiles are just set on vinyl and not done properly. when you have a vinyl floor, score the caulk before you pull it up. Never use double wax rings, raise the flange properly, bolt the toilet down properly and it will give you leak free service for many years.

As far as the code is concerned, there must be an air and water tight seal on mounted fixtures. regarding toilets, when people wash the floors, miss the toilet, it find it's way between the footprint and the floor surface.

Don't be lazy, get the caulk out and do the job right.
            Last edited by westcoastplumber; 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Leaving the code requirement aside (which I am not debating) there is also the fact that on a tile floor every time it is mopped water will get under the bowl and rot the floor pretty darn fast.

In the application I was talking about it was a hotel, so every day they are mopping the floor. Of course the sub floor is concrete but you then would have water getting down into the ceiling of the room below.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I caulk toilets down..but like most, I sometimes leave a small opening out the back(it depends).

Both sides have an argument, but for health reasons..toilets should be caulked completely.

Over time when the wax disintegrates, you have the potential for sewer flies to enter the space, which means the foul sewer smell is coming with it.

Comment

Ok, understand about the code.
                  I understand about the health issues.
                  I understand about the caulking acting as a stability product.
                  I understand about missing the toilet and the mopping water getting underneath.
                  I'm sure there are more reasons that can be added.

Have you really seen what the wood looks like under the finished flooring when a stool has been leaking for sometime. Pitch black mold, so when this spreads out to a 3-4 feet radius and the wood is wet then dry. As people are walking in this area, then underneath the flooring there has got to be contaminated fibers floating in the air (basement/crawlspace/on top of a ceiling), this is also a health risk.

I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong, no way. What I'm trying to get at is the HO's need to see a way that will let them know that their toilet seal is failing, before it gets really expensive. However that would give me a somewhat of a job security. I think a small opening in the caulking joint in the back would help this situation to a point.

Rick, I don't rely on caulking as a stability for uneven floors, I will use plastic shims. I have also caulked many toilets in the past, I would say 95% of all the jobs I have done. But now I'm beginning to question this method (code). But of course, we have to go by code and not what we think.

I have told people in the past to replace their wax ring every 3 yrs or so, and nobody ever listens, in one ear out the other. I love this debate.

Mark
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Like someone else said..it is a minor code issue. When I'm out and about..I'm more worried that a Plumbing system is installed correctly.

Comment

Come on guys this is not rocket science. The caulking should be water soluble and just thick enough for a sanitary seal. With a properly set water closet the bowl wax only fails when the water closet loosens up and rocks. If the water closet rocks the sanitary seal breaks and the owner should call the plumber. If instead they use an entire tube of caulking trying to fix a rocking water closet they will ruin their floor or worst.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        a toilet or any fixture that comes in contact with any other surface requires caulking as per the plumbing code and health reasons.

can you picture what it looks like under a toilet that was not caulked. everyone misses the bowl sooner or later and without caulking the misses will end up under the toilet breeding bacteria.

also caulking helps stabilize a toilet to floor or wall connection. no floor is perfectly flat and no toilet is flat either. the caulking will fill the void and keep it from moving and rocking.

if it's not caulked, it's wrong and against our plumbing code. this is true with any plumbing fixture.

rick.
                        Rick,

You came through again, you're more diplomatic. We have a bunch of so-called-plumbers responding to a "How To Set A Toilet" thread, and can't get it right. You are 100% right. Thanks for adding some sanity to this useless thread.

Your Fan.
                        the dog

Comment

Enjoy the topic,I must confess I do not always caulk the wc,but it is a good practice,latex based caulk will do the trick,also a utility knife could prevent the tile damage posted earlier.I secure the bolts to the flange,bowl first then the tank and also use mixing tray sold at bIG bOX to set old wc in and haul away in new wc boxes.One pc WC'S are tuff,I think I am going to try the 2" pvc trick on the next 1-pc

Comment

Another consideration with caulking water closets is water on the floor from bathing. I would say 80% of the leaks we use to get below bathrooms had to do with carless bathing. If your water closet is not caulking the water ends up under the closet and dry rots the floor.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by tbplumbloco View Post
                              Enjoy the topic,I must confess I do not always caulk the wc,but it is a good practice,latex based caulk will do the trick,also a utility knife could prevent the tile damage posted earlier.I secure the bolts to the flange,bowl first then the tank and also use mixing tray sold at bIG bOX to set old wc in and haul away in new wc boxes.One pc WC'S are tuff,I think I am going to try the 2" pvc trick on the next 1-pc
                              Whats the 2" PVC trick?
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                                Rick,

You came through again, you're more diplomatic. We have a bunch of so-called-plumbers responding to a "How To Set A Toilet" thread, and can't get it right. You are 100% right. Thanks for adding some sanity to this useless thread.

Your Fan.
                                Rick, come clean, how much you pay him?

Comment

Working...
                                X