X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing a water closet by yourself

I aways grout the toilet in place, less likely to rock when the big people use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      Whats the 2" PVC trick?
      Another plumber gave the tip when installing a one pc.wc to mark the closet bolts with tape and then cut 2 short pieces of 2" pvc say 12"to 15"and use the pipe as rollers to line the wc over the bolts+flange,this could make it easier to set the one-pc.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        Rick, come clean, how much you pay him?
        Butter,

You are relatively new to the forum, so you may not realize that Rick and I have disagreed more than anyone else on this forum. I may disagree with Rick, but I respect him. When I disagree with him I say so, when he disagrees with me he says so. I make fun of Rick sometimes, and he does the same to me. But if it came down to a real plumbing issue, I don't think I would want anyone by my side other than Plumber Rick.

And I'm his hero,just kidding Rick (I always have to say that because Rick is sensitive).
        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
          Butter,

You are relatively new to the forum, so you may not realize that Rick and I have disagreed more than anyone else on this forum. I may disagree with Rick, but I respect him. When I disagree with him I say so, when he disagrees with me he says so. I make fun of Rick sometimes, and he does the same to me. But if it came down to a real plumbing issue, I don't think I would want anyone by my side other than Plumber Rick.

And I'm his hero,just kidding Rick (I always have to say that because Rick is sensitive).
          i see the soft side of the dog coming out
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Butter,

dog, i owe you 1 us west coast guys, mark, robert, adam, and myself would like to invite you to a get together off the forum and get a bite not a dog bite but real food. we would like you to join us on a boys, or couples night out. maybe we can order duck

thank's dog.

your hero, rick

p.s all are welcome to join us, but there is a limit to our drive
            phoebe it is

Comment

if i ever make it out that way i would love to chat with all of you .it sounds like a good bunch of people to have fun with

i went to R I and stopped by and meet with some one from a different forum and had a good time
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                Alright, how do you guys replace a toilet by yourself? Do you put it on dolly? Try to take the bolts off so the tank and bowl can be separated (if the nuts aren't rusted on)??
                Hubby takes it off, complete, by himself. (5'8", 170#) BUT if you can't, heres a site that you might be interested in; http://www.toiletology.com/wax-ring.shtml

Hubby thought it was a waste

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  if i ever make it out that way i would love to chat with all of you .it sounds like a good bunch of people to have fun with

i went to R I and stopped by and meet with some one from a different forum and had a good time
                  Hawk,

You or anyone else would be welcomed with a full entertainment itinerary,Ricks always got something going on(usually involves ice cream though).

Garager is comming out next summer with all the money he's going to save on lung sludge sticks,maybe you could plan on west coasting then

Comment

i want to work for a company that can charge enough to change a toilet with 2 guys. what a crock!!! what has your apprentiship been like watching toilets be installed. we need to make a practical test to get a ticket. where i live there is ne code reqirements for caulking a toilet into place. i have had a toilet leak with a pinhole in the trap, it brought down a ceiling in a mainfloor room that was not used very often. if there was no caulk the leak would have been spotted sooner.

a suggestion to antone with any sort of code influence, bann nylon t-bolts!!!!!
                    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
                      i want to work for a company that can charge enough to change a toilet with 2 guys. what a crock!!! what has your apprentiship been like watching toilets be installed. we need to make a practical test to get a ticket. where i live there is ne code reqirements for caulking a toilet into place. i have had a toilet leak with a pinhole in the trap, it brought down a ceiling in a mainfloor room that was not used very often. if there was no caulk the leak would have been spotted sooner.

a suggestion to antone with any sort of code influence, bann nylon t-bolts!!!!!
                      I'm going to give an apprenticeship lesson to those so-called plumbers who seem to be having a problem installing toilets:

1) Shut off the angle stop to the the toilet.
                      2) Flush the toilet a few times to insure the angle stop is shut off completely
                      3) If water is still filling, the angle stop is no longer functional. You need to look for a shut off valve upstream. Replace the stop.
                      4) Once the water is shut down use a plunger to to evacuate the water in the bowl.
                      5) Remove the nuts holding down the toilet to the closet ring.
                      6) Pull the toilet away from the floor.
                      7) Having protected the floor finishes ahead of time carry it outside.
                      8) Clean off the wax and grime from the closet ring. (For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it is the round ring beneath the toilet).
                      9) Inspect the closet ring for damage and wear. If it is not up to par, replace it.
                      10) Install brass closet bolts with a brass or stainless nut against the closet ring.
                      11) Install new bowl wax.
                      12) Set the new toilet over the ring.
                      13) Check that the toilet is level. If it is not use plastic shims.
                      14) Tighten the nuts evenly. Check that the toilet is secure and not moving.
                      15) Turn on the angle stop and adjust the float (tank toilet) or the sloan valve angle stop (flushometer).
                      16) Flush the toilet numerous time to make sure it does not leak.
                      17 Caulk all the way around the toilet.

I'm hoping to assist some of you. If you don't know the above, don't call yourself a plumber. If you are being taught different, find a knew company.
                      the dog

Comment

Dog, you forgot my favorite part. Putting a blue fluidmaster toilet pill in the tank to make sure it doesn't leak into the bowl

Rick forgets them in his pocket and washes the clothes

Joey
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Butter,

I may disagree with Rick, but I respect him..

Dog, say it aint so!!!!!!!!!! Speaking kind words????????????

Had a few too many beers guys, but its all good, I just thought that comment coming from "dog" was out there.

Rick, thats a big compliment!!!

REgards,

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                            i see the soft side of the dog coming out
                            Better than seeing the soft serve of Dog coming out.

Comment

Dog, humorous note:

I personally have noticed you tend to not openly discuss code & technique, but more seem to respond.
                              This is the first time I think I've seen you do anything without "DIYphobia", trust me, I've been burnt in person many times by customers who decide they don't wanna pay my price and "learn" plumbing from online or Home Depot books.
                              But a simple closet replace wasn't what I'd hoped you'd get into.
                              Despite the angst it seemed to cause at the time, the whole highrise offset discussion was actually very informative.
                              It was code here at some point in the not so distant past, but apparently no more.
                              I see alot of in depth chat on drain cleaning with the more knowledgeable members, but thats not my bag, if I recall not yours either.
                              I really do hope to see you engage in discussion of more in depth stuff in the future, the code differences and the reasons for those differences are interesting.

Comment

Everything Gets Caulked !

Comment

Working...
                                X