Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing a water closet by yourself

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
    I'm going to give an apprenticeship lesson to those so-called plumbers who seem to be having a problem installing toilets:

1) Shut off the angle stop to the the toilet.
    2) Flush the toilet a few times to insure the angle stop is shut off completely
    3) If water is still filling, the angle stop is no longer functional. You need to look for a shut off valve upstream. Replace the stop.
    4) Once the water is shut down use a plunger to to evacuate the water in the bowl.
    5) Remove the nuts holding down the toilet to the closet ring.
    6) Pull the toilet away from the floor.
    7) Having protected the floor finishes ahead of time carry it outside.
    8) Clean off the wax and grime from the closet ring. (For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it is the round ring beneath the toilet).
    9) Inspect the closet ring for damage and wear. If it is not up to par, replace it.
    10) Install brass closet bolts with a brass or stainless nut against the closet ring.
    11) Install new bowl wax.
    12) Set the new toilet over the ring.
    13) Check that the toilet is level. If it is not use plastic shims.
    14) Tighten the nuts evenly. Check that the toilet is secure and not moving.
    15) Turn on the angle stop and adjust the float (tank toilet) or the sloan valve angle stop (flushometer).
    16) Flush the toilet numerous time to make sure it does not leak.
    17 Caulk all the way around the toilet.

I'm sure it will come in handy so I printed out 10 copies and had them laminated

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
      I'm going to give an apprenticeship lesson to those so-called plumbers who seem to be having a problem installing toilets:

1) Shut off the angle stop to the the toilet.
      2) Flush the toilet a few times to insure the angle stop is shut off completely
      3) If water is still filling, the angle stop is no longer functional. You need to look for a shut off valve upstream. Replace the stop.
      4) Once the water is shut down use a plunger to to evacuate the water in the bowl.
      5) Remove the nuts holding down the toilet to the closet ring.
      6) Pull the toilet away from the floor.
      7) Having protected the floor finishes ahead of time carry it outside.
      8) Clean off the wax and grime from the closet ring. (For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it is the round ring beneath the toilet).
      9) Inspect the closet ring for damage and wear. If it is not up to par, replace it.
      10) Install brass closet bolts with a brass or stainless nut against the closet ring.
      11) Install new bowl wax.
      12) Set the new toilet over the ring.
      13) Check that the toilet is level. If it is not use plastic shims.
      14) Tighten the nuts evenly. Check that the toilet is secure and not moving.
      15) Turn on the angle stop and adjust the float (tank toilet) or the sloan valve angle stop (flushometer).
      16) Flush the toilet numerous time to make sure it does not leak.
      17 Caulk all the way around the toilet.

I'm hoping to assist some of you. If you don't know the above, don't call yourself a plumber. If you are being taught different, find a knew company.
      But.......but........What if it's a straight stop?

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
        Not sure I follow you

Comment

Couldn't get past step 1?

You're not really helping the east coast plumber image Bruce

But then again...neither am I

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Not sure I follow you
            I was having fun.

The detailed instructions are great and I don't question any of it. But I can just picture somebody reading them (not a plumber) and right off the bat, realizing they don't have an angle stop (after spending hours online trying to work out what an angle stop is), but they have this thingy on a pipe with a knob on it that comes up through the floor. What do they do now? Now that they don't have an angle stop, the rest of the instructions just don't make sense to them.

I was just playing stupid, asking the type of question a lot of my TTDIY (Tried To Do It Yourself) customers would be perplexed by. I was not being critical or disrespectful in any way.

Comment

I was having fun.

The detailed instructions are great and I don't question any of it. But I can just picture somebody reading them (not a plumber) and right off the bat, realizing they don't have an angle stop (after spending hours online trying to work out what an angle stop is), but they have this thingy on a pipe with a knob on it that comes up through the floor. What do they do now? Now that they don't have an angle stop, the rest of the instructions just don't make sense to them.

I was just playing stupid, asking the type of question a lot of my TTDIY (Tried To Do It Yourself) customers would be perplexed by. I was not being critical or disrespectful in any way.
              Drtyhands knows that.

Spend some time here and you will get to know his quirky humor

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Drtyhands knows that.

Spend some time here and you will get to know his quirky humor
                To be perfectly honest Crack sometimes I'm unable to see the forest due to looking too hard at the tree.

But I'll tell you one thing,that sucker's not going anywhere with out ME knowing about it

p.s. Welcome to the forum Bruce

Comment

I was having fun.

you haven't passed the sniff test with "dog" yet. we'll let him be the judge

i got it, adam was confused and dog will either lick you or bite you

crack can't afford to lose you as us west coasters are a tight group.

rick.

p.s welcome to the forum, leave the humor for me i need it
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Dredging up an old thread again, but I thought I'd mention the tool I use for moving toilets. It's a Wheeler-Rex Johnni Cart. I doubt they make it anymore. There were problems. The wheels it came with were too small, so I put bigger ones on it, now the stair rides don't catch when going down. The bars under the bowl tend to spread, and I use a permanently-knotted sash cord to hold them together if necessary. It folds flat for storage in the van.

There's a rubber-coated knob just inside the front of the bowl that lifts it - I've never broken a toilet with it. (I have had toilets break after I removed the cart - they can fall over!)

Comment

Cool Herk, Never saw one before. Always did the duck walk, waddle, oh my back thing. Always change my stop even if there's any doubt." When in doubt take it out." Never use the wax seal with the horn. Closet auger always gets hung up in them . I always think of the guy down the road, it may be me. Double wax seal if the flange is flush with the floor. Never caulked always grouted gives a firmer base. Get wax on the floor try wd-40 comes up pretty quick. Always nutted jonni bolts to flange.

Trying to get the damn phone to ring.
                      2 months now
                      Finster

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
                        Cool Herk, Never saw one before. Always did the duck walk, waddle, oh my back thing. Always change my stop even if there's any doubt." When in doubt take it out." Never use the wax seal with the horn. Closet auger always gets hung up in them . I always think of the guy down the road, it may be me. Double wax seal if the flange is flush with the floor. Never caulked always grouted gives a firmer base. Get wax on the floor try wd-40 comes up pretty quick. Always nutted jonni bolts to flange.

2 months now
                        Finster

Oh finster, my friend, never double wax anything, a ultra thick wax will get you through on a flange level with the floor, the flanges below the floor need to be raised.

Grout is the worst thing ever It's not a water tight seal and it is a pain to re-set when that time comes. Caulking is the best.

Good job on the jonni bolts to the flange

No calls for 2 months, thats scary as hell Hang in there, spend your off day's networking, driving your lettered van around town, mailing flyers and postcards.

The phone will ring tomarrow with a $1,000 call, maybe a flat rate to change a disposal

kidding t&mers
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Although the Wheeler-Rex version seems to be gone, I found a Marco that looks quite similar - except it has tubes that can be changed for toilets or urinals. I don't know how well it works, never having seen one up close. But this thing of mine is relatively effortless for lifting and moving closets.

Marco Lav-Lifter

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post

2 months now
                            Finster
                            For those with wax in a grout line,be carefull the WD-40 is going to make the problem worse.I can see it working on a non porous surface though.

Hang in there Finster,things are slowing down.It's part of the nations cycle.Happens in every decade.It will come back.I welcome it.Puts the non-professionals back on the used car lots where they belong

Comment

Errrrrr Adam, so because I go out of business, that means I am a non-professional

Hmmmm, I think maybe the unlicensed fly by niters will prosper because they can come in cheaper then all of us, because they don't have the overhead we have, unless the current tradesman, contractors board, and the city inspectors get off their tail, then they could help strenghten the profession and the honest tradesman won't have to worry about when the phone will ring.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

It is a matter of fact that in the slow periods the rats drown leaving a much healthier environment.

Your business may get slow but I see no reason that you should claim bankrupcy yet

You have a very large network to provide operating capital.

Can you hear me now

Comment

Working...
                                X