X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a water closet by yourself

Alright, how do you guys replace a toilet by yourself? Do you put it on dolly? Try to take the bolts off so the tank and bowl can be separated (if the nuts aren't rusted on)??
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Removing a water closet by yourself

Cut the bolts off if I have to w/a hack saw blade. Pick it up and carry it. Oh, take out all the water first and shut off the water at the very beginning. Did I miss anything?
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Drain the tank. Flush toilet, plunge it to get out excess water. Undo flange nuts, riser. place cardboard next to toilet. Straddle toilet and pick up under tank and pick straight up and put on cardboard sheet.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I separate the tank and bowl whenever I can.

Cut the bolts with sawzall if I have too.

Doing the duckwalk with an assembled toilet hurts my back.

I put the bowl in a large trashbag that I keep on the truck. That way I don't feel grossed out when I'm hugging it.

A small battery wet vac comes in real handy here.

I only use a dolly with a piece toilet.

Oh and if I didn't supply the new toilet I leave the old one with the customer.

Comment

Just get a big football linebacker type guy. He can carry it outside and not even grunt once. 6' 4" and 300 pounds of all gut and not flab. You know the type. The kind of guy that can carry one of us with ease.

Warning: Be sure he has NO nasty temper issues before you ask him to take the old one outside and bring in the new one.

Sorry but I had to post this as the big plumbing contractor near me has 2 big guys that remind me of bears. They are about the same size as a bear.

You should see them removing an old water that's still 1/2 full. Not an issue for them....
          Last edited by Woussko; 08-21-2007, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I vacuum out the tank and the bowl and carry it out If it's a 1 piece toilet, bare and grin it, carry it out. If it's upstairs, charget he customer more!

The main thing is to vacuum it out, clean of all the water in the tank and the trap, if you don't, you will have a mess, especially if there is a blue bowl cleaner inside
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert

Very good idea about using your vac. I learned the hard way about that some time ago. Woussko = Loco &^% head at times

Please don't bust your guts doing this as Zeljka needs you healthy and happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                Robert

Very good idea about using your vac. I learned the hard way about that some time ago. Woussko = Loco &^% head at times

Please don't bust your guts doing this as Zeljka needs you healthy and happy.

Well noted I am carefull as much as possible
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                  Alright, how do you guys replace a toilet by yourself? Do you put it on dolly? Try to take the bolts off so the tank and bowl can be separated (if the nuts aren't rusted on)??
                  Atlas (hey, hey, hey)

You are a plumber, yet posting on the pro forum to ask how to change a toilet?

You might want to look for another trade.
                  the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                    Atlas (hey, hey, hey)

HAHAHAHA

LOL, Dog, between you and my wife, I never have to say anything, you both will say it for me
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                      Atlas (hey, hey, hey)

I know how to change a toilet. I've done it hundreds of times (literally). But, I work with another guy so I've never had to do one by myself.

As title of the thread reads, "Removing a water closet by YOURSELF". I just wondering if there were any tips on doing it by yourself. These forums are meant to learn from one another, right?
                      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

HOA,

If I am changing out a water closet I bring the new one in and unpack it first. Then I turn off the water to the old water closet, give it one last flush then plunger the rest of the water out. With all of the water gone I pull the tank from the old water closet and put it in the box the new tank came in. Then I do the same thing with the bowl. The job stays neater and so does my truck.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

these forums are not only suppose to be a learning experience, but lately it's been better than comedy central and i don't even have cable

since i work alone, i've never had the pleasure to have another person with a strong back. at least for the last 10 years

i always keep the toilet intact. i will use a mortar mixing tub/ plastic bussing tray to put the toilet base in if needed. keeps the wax and muck from spilling. great when doing a stoppage and reinstalling a toilet.

i will also plunger out the toilet

if it's a real long way to the door, i will put it on a collapsible cart if needed. 1 pc. are a bal* breaker.

i still have a toilet cart that lifts the toilet 4'' off the ground allowing for wax replacement and bolt line up without even spilling a drop. haven't used it for years and never saw the inventor after the debut at a trade show.i bought it off the floor and it might be the only one ever sold

works great on 1 pc. toilets. i figured out a different way to lift and set 1 pc. without missing my marks.

of course setting toilets in a carpeted bathroom is another challenge. especially when the tack strip and carpet needs cutting.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            HOA,

If I am changing out a water closet I bring the new one in and unpack it first. Then I turn off the water to the old water closet, give it one last flush then plunger the rest of the water out. With all of the water gone I pull the tank from the old water closet and put it in the box the new tank came in. Then I do the same thing with the bowl. The job stays neater and so does my truck.

Mark
                            Genius! I usually put old garbage disposals and old kitchen faucets in the new garbage disposal or kitchen faucet box, but never though about doing that with toilets. I guess its because I never had to do one by myself

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              these forums are not only suppose to be a learning experience, but lately it's been better than comedy central and i don't even have cable

since i work alone, i've never had the pleasure to have another person with a strong back. at least for the last 10 years

i always keep the toilet intact. i will use a mortar mixing tub/ plastic bussing tray to put the toilet base in if needed. keeps the wax and muck from spilling. great when doing a stoppage and reinstalling a toilet.

i will also plunger out the toilet

if it's a real long way to the door, i will put it on a collapsible cart if needed. 1 pc. are a bal* breaker.

i still have a toilet cart that lifts the toilet 4'' off the ground allowing for wax replacement and bolt line up without even spilling a drop. haven't used it for years and never saw the inventor after the debut at a trade show.i bought it off the floor and it might be the only one ever sold

works great on 1 pc. toilets. i figured out a different way to lift and set 1 pc. without missing my marks.

of course setting toilets in a carpeted bathroom is another challenge. especially when the tack strip and carpet needs cutting.

rick.
                              Alright, we need a picture of that toilet cart LOL!

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                              X