why does this water heater leak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does this water heater leak?

Have a customer with a leaking water heater. The water is shut off to it via a gate valve. When they turn on the cold water anywhere in the house, water leaks from the t/p valve. The t/p is plumbed to inside the wall and I and the customers don't know where it goes. I haven't changed the heater yet for economic reasons but what causes the water leaking to leak from the t/p valve?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: why does this water heater leak?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Have a customer with a leaking water heater. The water is shut off to it via a gate valve. When they turn on the cold water anywhere in the house, water leaks from the t/p valve. The t/p is plumbed to inside the wall and I and the customers don't know where it goes. I haven't changed the heater yet for economic reasons but what causes the water leaking to leak from the t/p valve?

Ben, you need to check the pressure into the house, add an expansion tank, change the t&p, I would start with the incoming psi, then change the t&p valve.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Ben,

It sounds like you have more than one problem going on right now. If the cold water is truely turned off and you are getting water back to the water heater when a cold valve is turned on you have to have a connection somewhere between the hot and the cold side. This could be at a mixing valve or it could be something mis-plumbed. As far as the T&P leaking it could be a bad T&P or as Robert posted it could be pressure.

It sounds like the owner does not have a lot of money but you need to figure out where the termination of the T&P is and why you are getting cold water to feed back to the water heater before you worry about getting them hot water.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am willing to bet that the faucets in the house are single lever.

When the water is used, water is crossing from cold to hot and adding pressure to the water heater. It sounds like the T+P valve is just worn out. Is it the Cash Acme brand?

Why not just open the T+P and see where the water comes out?

Comment

definite cross connection.

mixer (single lever tap) or washing machine.

isolate hot and cold to washer and test. Good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
            I am willing to bet that the faucets in the house are single lever.

When the water is used, water is crossing from cold to hot and adding pressure to the water heater. It sounds like the T+P valve is just worn out. Is it the Cash Acme brand?

Why not just open the T+P and see where the water comes out?
            You' right, all single handle delta faucets. I don't see how water coming across into the hot side can add pressure. If the valve is shut, how is water coming into the tank when the cold water is turned on? Me and the home owner looked everywhere and couldn't find where the water drains.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Scratch my previous post. What all you guys wrote just kicked in and made sense. Thanks
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wouldn't be the first heater I've found with water pipes reversed and a valve on the outlet.

Comment

is there a back flow preventer on the water main . if so is there a expansion tank on the system
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

a brass single handle moen cartridge 1200b will cross over without dripping out of the faucet. a plastic 1225 magnum cartridge will not cross over while off.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X