Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your favorite Toilet?

Thanks for the welcome.

So....there's not many of us DC area plumbers in this forum, huh? From looking around, there appears to be a great deal of brethren on the left coast. Is it really imbalanced, or do those guys just have more to say? Regardless, I have read a whole lot of interesting stuff here and it is very interesting to see the contrast in opinions, methods and pricing. I think I'll be checking-in here a little more often than I have over the years.

You really will be impressed with the Class 5, and you will be amazed at how easily the two-piece toilets assemble. Let me know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      What do you guys think about the American standard Champion?
      kohler toilets have left a bad taste in my mouth for 25+ years. too many horror stories and too many engineers and not enough plumbers doing the design.

the champion is a good flush, but the flush valve and seal has been an issue. american standard now realizes the problem and has replaced the flush tower to a flush valve design.

the toto is my go to toilet and the g max is the top flusher.

personally the american standard with the sloan pressure tank are the ones at my house, but that's because it was 14 years ago i bought them. i have not had to service them or plunge them since i installed them. no service calls on them probably no need for a sloan pressure tank now. the gravity designs are much better today than years ago

not sure if i want to give kohler my business. it's bad enough to have to stock 12 different flappers for their line of toilets.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        kohler toilets have left a bad taste in my mouth for 25+ years.

rick.
        Ricky, didn't anyone ever tell you not to drink out of the toilet

And I kiss you-YUCK
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

WAAYY to sharp for me.

Nice shot JOEY

Comment

kohler toilets have left a bad taste in my mouth for 25+ years. too many horror stories and too many engineers and not enough plumbers doing the design.

the champion is a good flush, but the flush valve and seal has been an issue. american standard now realizes the problem and has replaced the flush tower to a flush valve design.

the toto is my go to toilet and the g max is the top flusher.

personally the american standard with the sloan pressure tank are the ones at my house, but that's because it was 14 years ago i bought them. i have not had to service them or plunge them since i installed them. no service calls on them probably no need for a sloan pressure tank now. the gravity designs are much better today than years ago

not sure if i want to give kohler my business. it's bad enough to have to stock 12 different flappers for their line of toilets.

rick.
            I know exactly how you feel about Kohler. Until recently, I would have said exactly the same thing. In my house I have one Crane Galaxy, One Briggs Vacuity, one Kohler Portrait (circa 2001) and one Kohler Tellieur (circa 2001). Back in 2001/2002, when I put these in, my choice would have been to install all Crane Galaxy toilets because of the lower cost, but mainly because of their reliability and the ability to replace any parts for them with something that was always on my truck. The reason for having the Briggs was simply out of curiostity and as a sort of experiment -- at the time, this toilet was rated as one of the best flushers, I Ithink in Consumers' Report and in several news stories on TV and in print. I have never had any problems with my Crane or the Briggs, and to be quite honest, I have never run across a Briggs Vacuity in any if my customers' homes and, so, have never had a chance to work on one. If I have a problem with mine, I guess it will continue as an experiment in progress. I have no idea of how available parts are for this thing or how difficult it is to repair. Now....The two Kohlers are a different story. The only reason I have these is because the style of each fit-in with the scheme of the bathroom designs when I was remodeling. My wife had to have them, against my better judgement. The Portrait has always been a problem -- I run the auger through it at least twice a month. The Tellieur is not so problematic, but it's not used nearly as much as the Portrait. I have had to replace flappers in both Kohlers, but have had to do nothing to the other two toilets.

Only with the Class 5 has my opinion on Kohler changed. Hopefully I won't be regretting this in a couple of years when all of the customers I have sold them to, start calling with some problem, unforseen at this time.

For twenty years, I have stayed away from Kohler. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age. Or, maybe Kohler is just now starting to get it right.

What is American Standard doing to improve their Champion flushing system? Have they completely done-away with the tower design and gone to the mammoth-sized flapper like TOTO and Kohler Class 5?
            Last edited by brucestorey; 09-02-2007, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Rick, can you do me a favor and list the 12 different flappers you keep in your truck for knohler, I can think of 5-6 at the most for the toilets that are still in service today, I have serviced many kohler toilets and find it necessary to keep only 3 on my truck. I have never not had a kohler flapper on my truck to make a repair.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post

What is American Standard doing to improve their Champion flushing system? Have they completely done-away with the tower design and gone to the mammoth-sized flapper like TOTO and Kohler Class 5?
                fist off bruce, you have too many toilets

my understanding is they have done away with the flush tower and replaced it with the larger flapper design. i believe i heard it from one of the west coast guys i know that american standard has sent me a newly designed tower in the past as the disc was different. i was upset that before it would take 30 seconds to replace a disc, now you have to separate the tank and bowl. so much for the 10 year no leak warranty

i'm also interested in the caroma dual flush toilets. they have a 4'' trap way and demo potatoes being flushed

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                  Rick, can you do me a favor and list the 12 different flappers you keep in your truck for knohler, I can think of 5-6 at the most for the toilets that are still in service today, I have serviced many kohler toilets and find it necessary to keep only 3 on my truck. I have never not had a kohler flapper on my truck to make a repair.
                  robert, next time i go to todd/ hd supply, i will take a picture of their kohler flapper board with order by # so that we don't have to figure it out.

but i will start off with a few.

flush ball with special kohler lift rod for older 1 pc.
                  rialto 3.5 gpf. flush ball flapper 2 ear.
                  wellworth 3.5 flapper.
                  wellworth 1.6 plastic flapper with float.
                  wellworth rubber low flow flapper.
                  1 pc. with foam insert in flapper that falls out.
                  1 pc. shark fin flapper
                  i pc. with rear rubber strap that is a pita to adjust to the right slot.
                  cat 5- flapper (2) different part #'s

that's 10, i need to look in my truck and get to todd for the last 2.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I think you are just naming the toilets, some flappers are inter-changable, I seriously have only carried three kohler flappers on my van and that has been enough. I am not asking for every kohler toilet ever sold.

By what you are saying, American Standard has 12 flappers you need to carry in your truck also.

Kohler has the best class 5 toilet on the market, especially for the price, easy replacement parts, unlike Toto, parts are available at the local supply house, Toto has numerous different flappers also, red, blue are the most common ones used.

Do not single out Kohler because of the "12 different flappers" when 3-4 are the most used, which you will find is the same for most toilet manufacturers.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Rick, I think you are just naming the toilets, some flappers are inter-changable, I seriously have only carried three kohler flappers on my van and that has been enough. I am not asking for every kohler toilet ever sold.

By what you are saying, American Standard has 12 flappers you need to carry in your truck also.

Kohler has the best class 5 toilet on the market, especially for the price, easy replacement parts, unlike Toto, parts are available at the local supply house, Toto has numerous different flappers also, red, blue are the most common ones used.

Do not single out Kohler because of the "12 different flappers" when 3-4 are the most used, which you will find is the same for most toilet manufacturers.
                      robert, there is a reason why they have 12. they have discontinued a lot of flush valves so that the currant selection is less than 12, but i still need all 12 as there are still toilets that i service that use them.

only a couple are interchangeable. the rubber low flow will substitute with the plastic foam float style. the flush valve dictates the flapper. wrong flapper, bad flush or leak, or doesn't fit. some only lasted for a year or two. but these toilets are still out there. remember when low flow came out in 1990. that was the time all the weird flapper designs started. can't toss the toilet because the flapper is no good. most of the kohler toilets have a hard enough time flushing with the proper flapper.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I never had a call back on any of my kohler toilet repairs. I never carried more then 3 flappers on my truck and never had a problem with it. I know the other 10 guy's at my shop felt the same.

I just find it really hard to believe you have to carry 12, I will never believe it I ran far more service calls, averaged out to be 6-7 a day, crap calls, they would upset me because I would have nothing but toilet repairs for what seemed like days, I never had to carry anymore then 3, 12 is
                        obnoxious

Kinda like how you have 8 winches
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I never had a call back on any of my kohler toilet repairs. I never carried more then 3 flappers on my truck and never had a problem with it. I know the other 10 guy's at my shop felt the same.

I just find it really hard to believe you have to carry 12, I will never believe it I ran far more service calls, averaged out to be 6-7 a day, crap calls, they would upset me because I would have nothing but toilet repairs for what seemed like days, I never had to carry anymore then 3, 12 is
                          obnoxious

Kinda like how you have 8 winches

will you please let rick alone babe?

If he thinks he needs 12,then he needs 12!!!

He is one of those guys that need to have evrything in the truck,everything double,triple,6-triple...and there is nothing wrong with that..I would do the same thing...there is never enough flappers

Comment

robert, 3 is not anywhere near enough for even a short fix. kohler junk is not very interchangeable. you're going to make me go to my truck, but it's easier to get the photo from todd as it's all on display with the #'s on them.

do me a favor and list the flappers you carry.

you can copy from my list so we describe the same ones.

then the fun will begin

rick.

remember the 100' and 125' debate

loser gets the lightning round
                            phoebe it is

Comment

robert, 3 is not anywhere near enough for even a short fix. kohler junk is not very interchangeable. you're going to make me go to my truck, but it's easier to get the photo from todd as it's all on display with the #'s on them.

do me a favor and list the flappers you carry.

you can copy from my list so we describe the same ones.

then the fun will begin

rick.

remember the 100' and 125' debate

loser gets the lightning round

Looser doesn't get anything since both of you don't have nothing else to do but licking each other with the fLAppers????

Comment

here is just 8 that i pulled out of the truck in 100+ weather. they are melting like me. i know that the cat 5 is missing and it looks like a toto g-max. the other few will have to come from a stock photo at todd as i was to hot to start digging too deep. it's over a 100 actually and even more in my truck. i see wax dripping from my truck. didn't know i have to keep my bowl waxes on ice

both photos are the same, just arranged differently for clarity. also some are stacked showing them in and out of the package.

keep in mind that some only had a year or 2 in production. their still needed as these toilets they fit are still out there in huge numbers.

rick.

ps. robert, lightning time
                                Attached Files
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X