X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Union"

Hey guys, I haven't been around for awhile cause I've been busy after work, but I'm glad to be back...

I would like to join my local Plumbers Union(Local 486). I mainly would like to do this, so I can go to a Union school and receive, what I feel is proper training. I also would like to be apart of larger, more interesting and challenging jobs/tasks.

Now the last thing, other than the Union end of it that I need to get is my GED, which I have been studying for and just sent my paperwork in(awaiting a test date currently).

After this, I must pass a math test, and have my interview and what not. Now I have 1 question, along with all of your views on this...

1. Do I go to the Union and then they place me at a company, or should I go to a company that is part of the union and ask them for a job?

And, what is all of your views on unions? I know there is alot of self employed people on here, so I'm not trying to start a argument.

Thanks guys....
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: The "Union"

Aaron, can't give any advice on the unions but congratulations on going for your GED. It's good to hear when people make their own way in life and succeed.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

AARON,

Glad to see you back,don't leave us out on a limb like that again

Thought we scared you away

I was hoping you wouldn't be a WOOSIE

Would you give me a little bit to select my words carefully.

I'll bet the DOG could help us out on this one.

ADAM.

Comment

Hey Aaron,

Rick can help too. He started in the union with his uncles before he started his own business.

I don't think this topic is a fire starter, but I could be wrong

Joey
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I just signed up to join my local plumbers union too. The coordinator at the local UA told me that once you pass your test and interview, they put you on a waiting list. When your name comes up on the waiting list ,they call you and place you at a jobsite with a journeyman 1:1.

Also you go to school 2 nights a week after work, if your working that is.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            AARON,

Glad to see you back,don't leave us out on a limb like that again

Thought we scared you away

I was hoping you wouldn't be a WOOSIE

Would you give me a little bit to select my words carefully.

I'll bet the DOG could help us out on this one.

ADAM.
            Dyrty,

My advice, and still is: take advantage of free education to learn as much as you can. He hasn't taken it, but at his age I probably won't either. I like him, but no real advice will take hold. He is at the age that he is looking for advice that jives with his opinions. Wisdom will come later.
            the dog

Comment

Now this is a topic that Sylvan would enjoy.

Comment

Aaron is this true?

Or are you ready to continue your education?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
                  Now this is a topic that Sylvan would enjoy.
                  i hope not or we will see another book as a post
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

arron, i was in the plumbers local for 14 years. apprenticeship for the first4 years. true, you need to be dedicated to get through 5 years (now) of apprenticeship and schooling. it's a long road and remember you're the cheep guy on the totem pole, a grunt.

as you get more experience and your wages go up, so will your responsibilities and their expectations.

as i've mentioned in an earlier post months back. i would let the union place you into a shop and then rotate you to different shops to give you a chance to experience all the facets of plumbing.

very similar to a dr. going through medical school and then doing a residency in a particular field. learn all you can and get good at it. then you can pick and choose your field of interest.

also the union typically has a better medical plan and retirement plan.

can't loose by trying.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Ahmino- I love the fact that I'd be one on one with a Journeymen that has the proper education/training behind him.

Dog- I don't quite understand your post, I was only looking for anything I should have a heads up for.

Dirty- Yes it is, I may not like have liked high school, but I love learning all I can about plumbing. I was on the Unions Training section of the website and they're facility looks like it can teach me so much.

Rick- Thanks for your reply, but just curious why you got out of the union, if you don't mind me asking.

*Also, does the Union encourage you to become Mastered? If you do become Mastered, do you get a pay increase?*
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron wrote; "... I mainly would like to do this, so I can go to a Union school and receive, what I feel is proper training. ..."

What do you plan to do after you finish your apprenticeship? Leave and go in business for yourself or go work for a non-union outfit, maybe go back where you are now?
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

HI aaron , By all means , earn your license through the union . Many advantages , proper training , ins. . security , brotherhood , it's all positive . The other thing is the industry is frowning on the term "Master" anything . We are required to use the term "contractor '' , they are phasing out "Master " so to be politically correct. You can't have the MASTER watching his lil' slaves . Which sucks actually , will 12th year college grads. not receive thier 'MASTERS"

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                            Rick- Thanks for your reply, but just curious why you got out of the union, if you don't mind me asking.

*Also, does the Union encourage you to become Mastered? If you do become Mastered, do you get a pay increase?*
                            a couple of reasons why i left the union.

the company i worked for that was open since the 40's closed down in 1992 primarily due to union politics. the company i went to work for was run totally differently than i was used to. the big northridge earthquake hit in 93 and closed up some of the very local freeway overpasses. driving to work was no longer an easy thing as the contractor was not doing local work. i was use to 1/2 hour drive or less. that's why i joined my local area plumbers local. not so i can work in others jurisdictions on a travel card.

i decided to go off on my own with my uncle and concentrate on smaller scale projects. after another four years with my uncle. couldn't teach the old dog new tricks. (sorry plumbdog) i went into business on my own and that was 10 years ago.

get your 5 years of apprenticeship done. get your journeyman's license, which was required after turning out. and then if you like where your at, continue. if you want to go on your own, then you need your contractors license/ master license.

sure the money is better working for yourself, but so are the responsibilities greater and expenses higher, hours longer. but the overall rewards are greater too.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Bob- After I finish my apprenticeship program with the Union, I would like to stay with them for 25-30 years or alil longer, if my body holds up. After that, as I just stated, if my body is still holding up, I would like to own my own business for a few years, doing small/medium sized jobs. I would like to get away from residential work as soon as I can, and not return until I own my own business.

Apf- Thanks for the reply.

Rick- Thanks for sharing that. Now I know I'll be the low man on the pole, and I have no problem with that. My only concern is that, let's say at age 22 I'll be a Journeymen, overall do you think I'll still be treated as the low guy on the pole due to my age? I know every area is different, but I'm just curious.
                              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                              X