Kohler: Quality?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler: Quality?

Not wanting to sidetrack the toilet discussion, I was wondering about this. When being taught about products, Kohler was always ranked near the top. Clearly Rick has brought up the good point it has a history of toilet problems although it seems to have fixed them with the cimmaron. I've always noticed the high price of their fixtures. Like I said before, I've never had to repair a faucet, not sure if this is because this is a "delta" heavy area or kohler's are just that good. Are they worth it or is it just heavy advertising driving the price?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Kohler: Quality?

Rick seems to be the minority here as Kohler has always been my go to manufacturer. That being said you do not install Kohler in production housing anymore than you would install other high-end brands. A downside of the high-end stuff is generally getting repair parts.

If you install Deltas you can almost carry every repair part you would ever need in your pockets and the parts are readily available. With lines like Kohler you often have to order parts and wait for them to be delivered. When I use to do custom homes I would include repair kits for the faucets/valves as a service just so the next guy didn't have to look for a Jado stem or whatever.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, you are right, this is what I was trying to say in the other thread, kohler, like other manufactures has repair parts that a service plumber has to carry, kohler isn't the only one.

Kohler is an excellent company and it isn't that pricey compared to other brands that are of terrible quality.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Oh Ben, you just had to go and light that match
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Wasn't trying to start a fire Joey, I really wanted to know if I was misguided about Kohler. How people react to the question is beyond my responsiblities. I will say that plumbing is an inexact science. The ultimate objective is there but how we reach it is left to the individual. There's many ways of doing something whether it involves technique or which xxxxxxxx is the best. We should focus on educating each other and not take comments so personal.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Lies! There is only Rick's way, haven't you heard?

I was just teasing before though. Don't take my comments personally
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I very rarely take comments personally and only if they're directed at me. You have a quick wit about you that's great and I always welcome any comments you have.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Because of the many, many, upscale areas in the gen. L.A.
                area, so kohler parts, as while as many other high end products, that is just the nature of service and repair
                most high end end cust.'s don't want to hear you have to order and can't solve their problem till mon, after next;

and the higher the products inverse too how long it takes to get said parts!!!

JERRYMAC
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I have found Kohler's customer service to be quite responsive and satisfactory, in general. If I don't have the part I need (or sometimes if I do), I give the customer the option of calling Kohler to get the part they need at no charge and I return after the part has arrived and charge for a second call. Of course there are limitations to the warranty, such as original ownership, purchase date, etc., but I leave it up to the conscience of my customer if they want to lie about being the original owner, etc. when they call Kohler. For the less-able customers (elderly, handicapped or just plain stupid), I will call Kohler (but I will not lie)for them and let Kohler know I am the plumber and I will give Kohler all of the customer's information. Kohler will then usually ask me if I want the part mailed to the customer or to my shop. Very rarely do I get a problem with the Kohler person, however, there's always that guy (NEVER a woman) who thinks he owns Kohler and feels he has to question my motive -- he is thinking "this scumbag plumber is trying steal from me and stock-up on my Kohler parts." This doesn't usually matter, though, as I then speak to his supervisor and get what my customer needs. The parts usually take only a couple of days to arrive, or the customer can pay for overnight.

I mean, really...think about it -- how many Kohler parts do you really need any way? Maybe a couple of different ceramic stems, a 400-A and 3 different flappers -- or is it 13? Actually, there is a plethora of parts and I am continually amazed that Kohler usually has them in stock for even the oldest products.

I think "Quality" goes hand-in-hand with customer service, and I think Kohler has mastered this.

I was thinking about how many Crane toilets I really installed and I was wrong yesterday when I stated it was almost 20,000. I was forgetting about the 13 years prior to 1994 that I wasn't in business for myself. I am going to have to do the math and get back on this.

Comment

Oh Brucey,do hurry back with that info,I just can't go on with my day without knowing how many toilets were set in your proximity

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Oh Brucey,do hurry back with that info,I just can't go on with my day without knowing how many toilets were set in your proximity
                      In time, in time. I can't again let myself appear to be a lesser-than-other-Crane-setting-plumber. Oh, the shame.

Comment

Does it really matter if a given plumber or plumbing contractor has installed XXX toilets of a given brand-model? Isn't it more like this? Out of XXX of a brand-model, only Y needed repair the first year and Z the second. The one that keeps working and isn't too much of a PITA to get parts for or service is what you want.

Comment

Working...
                        X