X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good work boots for plumbing?

I'm looking for recommendations for work boots that wont track dirt and mud? Are there any without deep treads that are easy to wipe off.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks.

Mike.

Re: Good work boots for plumbing?

Just go to your local Red Wings Boots store, and take a look at their wide selection of boots. They have boots for just about every application.

http://www.redwingshoe.com/productde...px?prodid=1612

I personally wear these boots on a daily basis. I've done everything from water mains to toilet rebuilds with these boots, alil heavy for service work, but just about perfect for everything else.

If you do alot of trench work, it might be a good idea to buy a pair of boots from Walmart for the dirty and muddy jobs.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
      Just go to your local Red Wings Boots store, and take a look at their wide selection of boots. They have boots for just about every application.

I personally wear these boots on a daily basis. I've done everything from water mains to toilet rebuilds with these boots, alil heavy for service work, but just about perfect for everything else.

If you do alot of trench work, it might be a good idea to buy a pair of boots from Walmart for the dirty and muddy jobs.
      I agree, Red Wings are the best! More expensive then your average boot, but waterproof, electrical hazzard proof, all the bells and whistles, and the tread isnt that bad
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post

Aaron, is it not worth protecting your feet at all times? Maybe especially when you are in a trench and possibly working with an excavator or backhoe? I've heard that those machines like the taste of that Chinese leather, it's much softer and easier to chew their way through to the tasty treats inside like your feet.

The people who work at Red Wing Shoes have no choice when it comes to hiring a plumber, they can't make a choice between a Chinese plumber working for $2/day or a American plumber. But you DO have a choice in where your work boots come from, so help out your neighbor and buy the boots he made, not the ones from China.

I know that money can be tight and it can be tough to spend that extra bucks for work boots -WHICH- if you buy the right kind can be 100% deductible as personal safety equipment, which can take a little of the sting out of helping your neighbor.

I like Red Wings. I've worn various Red Wing boots for many years. I think they have always given me great service and with care they have lasted 2 or more years. I buy a new pair every year, and retire the oldest/worst condition boots. I have at least two pair which are slightly different styles and I try not to wear the same pair day after day. That way my feet don't take such a beating and the boot s get to fully dry if they have been exposed to mud or water and such.

So give that cheapo pair to the Salvation Army and go buy a second pair of Red Wings for yourself. After all your feet are as important to your job as any other tool, without healthy feet you'd have a very tough day would you not?

To condense all that into four words........

BUY AMERICAN WHENEVER POSSIBLE !!
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I use navy issued desert boots. Mud doesn't stick to the tread, very durable. I've come to the conclusion that waterproof boots are in the realm of myths and legends such as bigfoot and unicorns. No such thing exists. I prefer a boot that will get wet but will quickly dry out. Also-American made.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I keep extra ones on the truck so it`s never a problem

The ones for mud cost me like maybe $20.00 at the farm store
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I would suggest Duluth Trading Company's "Ultimate Contractor Boots". You can find them on the internet. They are made in the US, well made, and less than other US manufacturers. I've used them for years and love them.
              the dog

Comment

Darnit, I have to agree with the "DOG" on the quality of the boots from Duluth Trading Company. I have been wearing them for nearly two years now.

Although I dont work in the trenches so to speak, I am on jobsites on a daily basis and I love those boots.

On the other hand, I am a redwing fan as well, I wore those on the farm for many years.

Regards,

Comment

Dog, they got ya talking about shoes!

Am I the only one laughing abut this?

Joey
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

When I was doing more supervision and less time on the tools,Yeah,Red wings.Wore em for about twelve years.But now I cannot afford basically 2- $100 dollar bills for boots that only last me a little over a year.That's not including the retread at 9 months at $40 bucks.

I have found that the Dickies 6" wedge is the best for my needs.Been in them for about five years.Vertually no break-in period,and very comfortable.Softer construction sole sticks to rafters,joists and a freshly sheeted roof.A little slippery on wet concrete,but so is any const. sole.

I can buy three pair to one of the wingers.

Sorry guys,if I could justify,I would Wing-it.

Comment

I've been wearing steel toed Red Wings the last 5 years and have only had to replace them once. this pair is pretty easy to clean. The one time they were replaced I stupidly stepped on a jetter head, so it wouldn't fly across a parking lot and impale a windshield. the jetter pierced the sole and ballooned it up with water. felt like walking on a lemon. Probably time to resole these though.
                      Brent

Comment

The best pair of boot I ever had were redwings. I wore them for more than a year before the soles split loose and they took on water. the next pair of identical boots lasted about three months.
                        Since then my foot got bigger and the only boots that are in stock are georgia boots. I wear a size sixteen so I cannot be too picky when it comes to footware

Comment

I don't have anything negative to say on any of these posts. I spent over 30 years selling all kinds of men's shoes but mostly work boots. There used to be several good brands of boots out there but, overall the Red Wings were as good as any and better than most. Wolverine makes some good ones and so does HH Brown (such brands as Carolina and Double H) although these would be hard pressed to be of the quality of the Red Wings and Wolverine; but then they cost less, too.

It has been over 7 years since I was in the business and I know the marketplace and boot makes are changing. To my personal disgust over 80% of our footwear is now made in China etc., but India, and others are making inroads into this China market; that is really no improvment, IMHO.

Red Wing and others still make some of their boots here in the states, but almost all have signifigant numbers, if not all, made in China and elsewhere.

If you buy any footwear made in the USA it will be far more expensive (a few excetpions to this would be some made in Italy and Spain) but this is mostly fashion wear not workwear.

I disagree about not finding any waterproof boots. There are definitly some out there, but most waterproof footwear does take some extra care. With the type of rugged work and chemicals some of you guys put them through the materials used to keep your feet dry will have trouble staying viable.

Red Wing and others have some good stuff made in China, even I have to admitt that, but usually there are not as many sizes and widths available and I still don't think they are as good, but I have to admitt some styles are almost as good and probably 20% - 40% less costly.

I guess, all I am saying is that not all users and uses are fitted by one brand or style. Some guys just don't get as much wear from the same boot as the guy next to him doing almost the same job. Use your own judgment, most of you can make the cost vs benifit analysis. Just don't give up on the American made stuff, yet.

A good shoe retailer should take an interest in you, measure and fit you properly and give good advice on what he or she has seen work for other guys in your field. Also, a good retailer will almost never gripe if you take something back seeking some help on a style that did not hold up. They may not be able to offer a replacement or discount on that paticuarl pair, but they will usually go out of the way to try and help, he really wants repeat customers.

The more time I spent in the business the more shoes I replaced or pro rated for a new pair. I could not do it every time, but if you are nice to me I will be nice to you. Be patient, we all make mistakes. Treat the salesman right and he will make more mistakes in your favor than his favor. If you feel you have been let down, quitely tell the sales person and try to work with him/her. If not then find a new dealer, or maybe this one just needs another chance.

P.S. The best adivce I ever got and gave to the working man about shoes is this. 1) Get fit correctly, it takes a little time and effort. 2) Buy the apporiate style, running shoes usally don't work in construction, etc. 3) If possilbe buy 2 pair and switch them off ever other day,( an easier way to do this is buy the first pair this month then try to buy the next pair within about 6-8 weeks) this will usually make 2 pair last as long as 3 pair worn day after day.

There is a reason auto service people pay Sanp-On Tool guys 3 or 4 times the price for some of their tools. They are worth it. That is true in boot and shoes too.
                          thepapabear<BR>When a bureaucrat has a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.

Comment

Thanks Papabear,
                            I truely enjoyed reading you post

Comment

I live in Hill country,need the cleats,use bootys in the house!

I like sears diehards. Have 2 pair switch them each day
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X