X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgusting Situations

OK....We're plumbers, drain cleaners -- real men (and women) who are used to the occasional disgusting encounter. I, however, am wondering if I am the only of the aforementioned group who can look at, and handle the disgusting things that we pull-out of drains, scrape out of pop-up assemblies and wipe-off the bottoms of faucet flanges, but cannot stomach a filthy, unsanitary house. Sometimes I feel as though I am going to barf the second I walk through the front door of some customers' homes. Then, if I make it long enough, I may have to actually lay on their kitchen floor to look beneath their dishwasher. This is just a mild example of some of the things that get my stomach turning. If this thread goes any farther, I want to tell about some specific situations I have run into.

After seeing how some people live [on purpose] I laugh when my wife exclaims that "our house is a pig pen." She has no idea how pristine (a pig pen to my wife is two dishes left in the sink) our home is, especially when compared to how so many other people keep their homes.

How do you feel about working in a filthy, unsanitary dwelling? What are some of your worst experiences? Please tell.

Bruce

Re: Disgusting Situations

If I was a service plumber I would have to deal the human factor inside it's comfort zone.Not something I look forward to even though I only help other friends with their plumbing issues occassionally.Have seen some bathrooms that made me realize some(probably more) peoples heads are out of wack.

Comment

I once went to a place for an estimate that there were 4 dogs locked inside the house all day while the guy was at work, 7 days a week. Piles and puddles all over the place. All the white fixtures in the bathroom were brown. I did my estimate and tripled it, to make sure I wouldn't get the job. The smell stayed with me for hours after I left.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why do you have to make all your posts so annoying ,if it is not a color then its in in big writing or you wright a book .
        try not to show off its not working and no one is impressed
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I was cutting in a wye on a remodel with a cast iron stack once while a crew of mexicans were upstairs.
          The plumbing fixtures had been removed and drainage plugged.
          I snapped out a 7-1/2" piece of 3" CI for the wye when suddenly warm fluid comes gushing over my hands.
          I thought for a second...then decided to hell with it, my hands were soaked anyway, cupped a little and carefully walked upstairs from the basement.
          Flung it at the guy, his boss was the only english speaker, asked me what it was..I told him.
          The guy was pissed, the whole group blew up laughing and the boss looked at me and said "I'd have done that too...he was told to use the porta-potty outside."

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why do you have to make all your posts so annoying ,if it is not a color then its in in big writing or you wright a book .
            try not to show off its not working and no one is impressed
            Thanks Hawk..

Your right it is annoying

Comment

I've done 2 jobs for people that had a disease where they hoard stuff. I'm not talking about a little clutter. I'm talking about walls of newspaper, clothes, etc. I feel bad for them, they have a real sickness and need help.

On the other hand I've done jobs for countless people who just had no home training.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the one that comes to mind right now is the condo with shag carpets tha moved

turns out that the gypsies that lived there also cut hair. the roaches were living in the carpet causing the shag to move.

got tons of others and i know this has been posted before, so i'll let you search for the good ones.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  I've done 2 jobs for people that had a disease where they hoard stuff.
                  Did either of them have Ridgid tools and live in Los Angeles?

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Did either of them have Ridgid tools and live in Los Angeles?

Mark
                    i resent that

i don't hoard. i invest

rick.

who is #2
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i resent that
                      I think what you meant to say is that you resemble that

Joey
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        I've done 2 jobs for people that had a disease where they hoard stuff. I'm not talking about a little clutter. I'm talking about walls of newspaper, clothes, etc.
                        Gear, Were they older people as in say 75 or older? Anyone that lived back in the great depression era and about starved, has that hoarding problem. In their younger days they didn't dare throw away anything or it was a trip to "Yea Olde Woodshed" for one heck of a whipping. This included young girls! You ate ALL that was on the plate or you got your head bashed. NOTHING was wasted. NOTHING

I'm thankful to have not been born yet back then, but I know lots of people that remember it all too well. I am a pack rat but I also know that for safety reasons if nothing else that some things do go into the trash can. My problem is that if I don't throw it out, it sits for years, but then if I do throw it away next week I really want/need it.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 09-09-2007, 03:47 AM.

Comment

1 guy was around 60 and didn't cut his fingernails, they were about 5". He smelled sooo bad. He had issues.The other was a 300lb lady who did work on designing internet site. She looked late 30's. Both were pasty white like they've been inside for awhile.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have many, many storys, but my most recent disgusting encounter was a customer in my neighborhood who called because he was working on his laundry tub in his basement and couldn't go an further because there were no shutoffs on the supplies. All I was supposed to do was install a couple angle stops and leave.

This house was spooky -- Bates Hotel spooky! First, it was a total, filthy mess and every wall was covered with unframed pictures and magazine page cut-outs -- entirely covered. Supposedly, the elderly mother lived there, but I saw no signs of her actually being alive there. The guy was wearing only pajama pants with what I assumed was mustard splattered all over them (not really sure what it was by the time I was done there). I followed him to the basement to the laundry tub which was in utter disrepair. He had a drywall bucket beneath it to serve as a drain and it was just a slimey, nasty gross mess. I began to look around and noticed more drywall buckets.......FILLED WITH URINE!!!!! The guy was collecting his urine!!! He then began to tell me that he lived in this basement, in a sound-proof bomb shelter room his (deceased) father had built for him. He invited me to take a look and I declined, telling him I didn't have the time and that it was now far too late in the day to tackle a task as daunting as installing two angle stops. I told him he would have to call my wife to reschedule for a different day [read:never] and I promptly high-tailed it out of there. There is soooooo much more to this story that would add to the reasons that I would never, ever go back to this house, but I think most of you can imagine.

Bruce

Comment

The "Trash Lady" of Capital Hill is what her neighbors called her.

She would sneak out late at night to steal trash and recyclables from the neighbors. Her can would never go to the curb.

I found her bed just inside the basement vestibule. No matteress just a stack of old newspapers and some blankets.

Rooms so full of trash bags only little pathways to walk through the house.

1st floor was a sea of aluminium cans and plastic bottles 4 feet deep.

Upper floors were pristine but covered in a thin layer of dust. Picked up a Readers Digest from 1982 like it was just placed there yesterday.

She had not been upstairs since her husband died 25 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X