X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FluidMaster 400A

I've done the search using "FluidMaster," "Ballcock," "Fill Valve," "400A," and other variants of the terms that might be used to find my answer to this question, but I have found no thread specifically addressing why so many plumbers here don't like the 400A. I have, however, lost myself in many totally irrelevant threads from days past which have taught me a lot.

I, personally, like the 400A, but have never been amongst so many plumbers with the amount of knowledge and experience found on this forum, to engage in a discussion about ballcocks and the differences between them. I am very interested to know what it is that so many plumbers here don't like about the 400A and which ballcock it is that you do like for general replacement.

I go through a couple of cases of 400As a month and have done so for about the last three years -- that's a lot of ballcocks! Have I contaminated my service area? What am I missing? I really am interested to know if there is something better out there for me and for my customers.

Thanks,

Bruce
    Last edited by brucestorey; 09-14-2007, 07:22 AM.

Re: FluidMaster 400A

bruce, i'm with you

the fluidmaster 400a is the ballcock of choice for the kohler, and american standard line of toilets. i wish toto would dump the hunter and install the fluidmaster.

american standard, many years ago attempted to come out with their own line of fluidmaster style ballcock. they called it the "smart valve".

i was stupid in buying 2 cases, but smart in returning 1.5 cases

what did american standard do to resolve all of their smart valves in the field

they sent out replacement fluidmasters

today there is a pro line of fluidmaster ballcocks. their top of line has a brass shank. i was involved in a marketing research panel for this. so if it's good enough for me, it's good enough for my customers

it's a great ballcock at a great price & last a long time. name 1 ballcock that can do that

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The first generation Fluidmasters had a (brown?) plastic ballcock nut that if overtightened would split and flood everything

This naturally would only happen after the plumber has left the building

I stayed away from them after a few "incedents" Now they own that corner of the market.

I still prefer the Mansfield #10.

Just call me old fashioned

I haven't seen a Fluidmaster 400A with a brass shank.........please share

Comment

And they're still made in the USA!
        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

I work for a hospital and also take care of several houses the hospital owns and maintains. I change all the ballcocks to 400A's when the others finally give it up. Ease of installation, adjustment and repair are the biggest reasons.

Anything made of plastic can crack but failures are uncommon. I've seen many a brass valve fail due to corrosion or breakage as well. For the money you can't beat the 400A.

My guess about the guys who don't like them are that the 400A's are so dependable they don't get the callbacks. He He.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            The first generation Fluidmasters had a (brown?) plastic ballcock nut that if overtightened would split and flood everything

This naturally would only happen after the plumber has left the building

I stayed away from them after a few "incedents" Now they own that corner of the market.

I still prefer the Mansfield #10.

Just call me old fashioned

I haven't seen a Fluidmaster 400A with a brass shank.........please share
            The new Fluidmaster Pro Series are given different model numbers. The standard version with the plastic shank is the PRO45 and the one with the brass shank is the PRO45B. They are quieter than the 400A and have a few other differences -- especially the colors. I had FluidMaster email me some literature on them a while ago, so if you want me to email it to you, let me know and give me your email address. You can't find anything online about them in detail. Fluidmaster doesn't even mention them on their website.

Bruce

Comment

Here are three brochures sent to me from FluidMaster about their PRO line of products.

Bruce
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
                Here are three brochures sent to me from FluidMaster about their PRO line of products.

Bruce
                Thanks Bruce

I wonder why they are not on the website?

Do you get yours from Fergusons?

Comment

I thought for sure there would be some feedback from those who don't like the 400A. Can anybody point me in the direction of threads where plumbers have brought up the cons of the 400A?

Thanks,

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
                    I thought for sure there would be some feedback from those who don't like the 400A. Can anybody point me in the direction of threads where plumbers have brought up the cons of the 400A?

Thanks,

Bruce
                    i'll have to get back to you in 10 years on that

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X