X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water shutoff before the meter?

Friend's putting his house on the market in 3 months. Problem is that he has a leak on the city side before the shut off. It's a hole about 1/8" and flowing at about 6 gal/hour. He's tried numerous times to contact the city to no avail. They came twice, bailed the water out of the meter box and left. His front yard is flooding and turning into a mess. How would the city fix this? I know there's a corperation stop at the main tap in but that's in the street.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Water shutoff before the meter?

Assuming it is copper, around here, the water authority will use a crimper that will smash the copper shut, completely stopping any flow of water. They will then use a flare coupling to make the repair, then use the same crimping tool to reshape the copper to its original shape.

Bruce

Comment

That.s crazy,It's their responsiblty . Go to the office and see the manager!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ben, they can call "311". I think this is nationwide phone service. It connects you to all local city services. You tell the operator the issue, they connect you and give you the number to the right place for your problem.

After you dial, you can just hit "1" as your mayor starts to talk to bypass it, unless you like listening to your local mayor

They should also tell them who has been out and what they did-they even put you through to supervisors of the correct dept!

Joey
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

ben, what has the city said? why 2 trips and nothing. can you see the pin hole and hose clamp it to dry it up? i would call the water dept. and ask what's going on. of course they are paying for the lost water and not the homeowner. but the mess is a homeowner thing.

speak to a supervisor and get it done

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I didn't ask my friend what the city said. Both times they came out the wife was home and they never knocked on the door. Gone in 15 minutes. I was thinking about getting a pvc tee and cutting lengthwise (along the run so the branch is intact) and putting some gasket material between the pipe and the tee and hold it with some radiator clamps. Then attach a garden hose to the branch and let it leak in the street. With that much visible water around, I bet the city would fix it real quick. By the way, it is copper.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, interesting idea

don't do it

call the city or have the owner call and get the ball rolling. tell them that you're the plumber and that the problem is on their side of the meter. see what they have to say or what's on their records?

i like the tee idea, but they won't like you messing with it

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Ironically I'm off to a job like that this afternoon.
                Water main is galvy (biting nails), DPW was there yesterday and said the curb valve was rusted open (nails gone).
                This afternoon they're going to close the street main, all so I can replace the valve on the feed side of the meter and a leaky gasket.
                I informed the customer I'm not responsible if the galvy breaks, but she has been temperamental when I try to explain the situation....wish me luck.

Comment

Nix that.
                  DPW just rescheduled for Friday...man, Union jobs are great.
                  Just not for me, as I scramble around and reschedule my week.

Comment

DB,

If she is tempermental now how do you suppose she will be once the galvanize has a problem? I would make sure the ground rules are clear before you start the job or go find another job to do.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      DB,

If she is tempermental now how do you suppose she will be once the galvanize has a problem? I would make sure the ground rules are clear before you start the job or go find another job to do.

Mark
                      Right Mark, I did.
                      This ones unpredictable...smart.
                      I can usually get a handle on a customer, find a repore and work from there.
                      Just called her to explain the situation, and let her know it was the town NOT me.
                      She says "You seem stressed, relax, it'll work out" as if there hadn't been any stress yet.
                      She already knows the main has to go, we have it tentatively planned for the spring, but I just told her it may have to be done prematurely, like this week premature.
                      I figured she was gonna flip, nope calmly she says "I know, you already explained the galvanized might have to go.".
                      Last night she sounded like she was gonna loose it, today she's a pillar.
                      One thing in our line of work that fascinates me is social behavior, the way people communicate and interact.
                      We meet all types.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        ben, interesting idea

don't do it

call the city or have the owner call and get the ball rolling. tell them that you're the plumber and that the problem is on their side of the meter. see what they have to say or what's on their records?

i like the tee idea, but they won't like you messing with it

rick.
                        Ben, you tee idea would build a cross connection and get you in trouble, don't do it. Do what Rick and others have said, ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them you are the plumber. This already has the potential for contamination if a pressure drop in the main occurs, maybe from the fire dept opening a hydrant to flush it out or to fight a fire, or a line break.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ben if they don't come and fix it tell them you will go to the news paper and TV station and tell them how the city is wasting water .

our local tv station has a spot called news 8 on your side . they will investigate the problem and put it on TV . the problems get fixed fast .
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

And don't forget to mention to the news crew the potential contamination issue, plumbing code requirements, and the health regs, they'll love that angle of the story.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

true because there is no back flow preventer before the leak
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X