Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will portable washing machine damage water main?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: will portable washing machine damage water main?

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
    1- do you have renters insurance that covers you in case of a leak ( and they do leak)

2- did you get written permission from the management office to use it

3- You do know that connecting to a kitchen faucet one cannot put the machine on MIX as the water coming through the spout is only the faucet that is on and the water is not being tempered by the machine

4- Many of the buildings that have these connected want some type of protection besides back flow as once you connect your hose to the faucet you just created a problem between cycles as now the hot water can enter the cold potable water lines. (hot water is not safe to drink as it has all kinds of rust etc.

5- Many older buildings do not have a suds pressure zone and the detergent used in washing machines cause soap scum build up inside the piping and can cause a problems on the floors below.

6- Unless you have a shock absorber or air chamber you can cause hydraulic shock (water hammering) that can rupture even new piping if the wave is severe enough.

7- These hook ups are notorious for failing and spritzing water all over

8- make sure that you have a GFI plug
    Hot water is not safe to drink?

Do you also subscribe to the theory that water from the lav faucets is unsafe because it's "bathroom water"?
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      9- Have you been seperating colors and whites?
      Tieger, couldn't resist, I'd have done that to anyone.
      Dog even worse...MUAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
        Hot water is not safe to drink?

Do you also subscribe to the theory that water from the lav faucets is unsafe because it's "bathroom water"?
        Dog FYI class is in (no offense)

Because people no longer have personal responsibility the AGA / CS/ and GAMA have decided to lower the temperature of the water heaters to 125 F and as a professionals (LMP) you know that you need 140 deg to kill bacteria and anything less is now allowing this tank to be an in****tor and because people use cold water a lot more then hot (this explains why a cold water riser is larger then a hot) that these tanks are also scoured properly or even maintained as they should be.

Of course I would never expect you to take my word for it so here is a link that puts it in simple terms as licensed plumbers may get to technical and if you want more information as to WHY not drink hot water other then from an instant hot or stove or micro wave and not from a "tank" please feel free to E mail me

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1413847

Last edited by Sylvan Tieger; 09-18-2007, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Tieger, couldn't resist, I'd have done that to anyone.
          Dog even worse...MUAHAHAHAHA

No problem, Plumbers are kind of thick skinned as we are the only trade (profession) that craps on their own work

Comment

WTF..., hot water not safe to drink? the insanity of even posting such a comment, much less believing it, is beyond me.

Comment

Hey;
              i read your link tiegar;
              i beleive in having a open mind for new idea's
              But i don't agree with you on this i have over 35 years installing and serviceing "ALL" Major water heater co's and like the rest of the plumber's who post here i have run a 1,000
              feet or maybe miles of copper potable water pipes,
              i have 'never" heard any thing about hot water leaching any more lead then cold water,
              or problems with drinking or cooking with hot water

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER AND MASTER WATER HEATER TECH, AUTHORIZED SERVICE FOR OVER 75 MFG'S OF WATER HEATERS & BOILERS
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

How ever i do agree about the possability of water hammer from the washermach. causing the main to leak!!

JERRYMAC
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                  Dog FYI class is in (no offense)

Because people no longer have personal responsibility the AGA / CS/ and GAMA have decided to lower the temperature of the water heaters to 125 F and as a professionals (LMP) you know that you need 140 deg to kill bacteria and anything less is now allowing this tank to be an in****tor and because people use cold water a lot more then hot (this explains why a cold water riser is larger then a hot) that these tanks are also scoured properly or even maintained as they should be.

Of course I would never expect you to take my word for it so here is a link that puts it in simple terms as licensed plumbers may get to technical and if you want more information as to WHY not drink hot water other then from an instant hot or stove or micro wave and not from a "tank" please feel free to E mail me

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1413847

AS A CALIFORNIA LICENSED CONTRACTOR I THINK IT IS OK TO DRINK HOT WATER.

I CANNOT SPEAK FOR WATER IN NEW YORK.

If my text seems unusual, Josh, I'm tring to fit in with the new members.
                  the dog

Comment

Since i was little i and everyone else drunk the water straight from the pipe...

But then again that was europe..and we still do it

Comment

Sylvan,
                      I appreciate your helping by way of the link.

I think I will treat like a witch hunt placed on the internet.Lead?,come on now.Does this entity have any idea how much water is cycled through a hot water heater daily.

Please stop with the loud formats it is annoying and unneccessary.The rest of us do not yell all the time to get attention

Comment

You forgot the purple!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          You forgot the purple!
                          I would have, but I don't know how to do it. Such is the pain of limited technical abilities.

Plumbdog, California Licensed Contractor (hehehehehehe).
                          Last edited by plumbdog10; 09-18-2007, 09:35 PM.
                          the dog

Comment

Sylvan's link was pretty entertaining. Did anyone else look at the other articles written by the author? I'm fairly certain the one titled "fruit cake" was a bio.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Does this mean I shouldn't shower in hot water either in fear of it getting in my eyes or mouth?

Hey Adam, what do you have against purple?

Dog, There should be 2 tool bars right above the text box when you send a reply. You change the color by clicking on the arrow just to the right of the capital "A" with a horizontal black bar under it. A color grid will drop down

Joey
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

few weeks ago there was a discussion on hot water heaters and some one posted a like to WATTS controls,

and one link was on Scalding,
                                http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...ldinglurks.asp

Learn about topics such as hot water stacking, how to protect individuals from scalding and thermal shock injuries, how to protect against the growth of Legionella bacteria in hot water systems and what new steps should be taken in the industry to eliminate these dangers.
                                and on how many (it left me with the indication of LARGE buildings) have turned down the temperatures of the hot water to protect against scalding and burns, but in return setting up for the breeding of bacterias such as legionella, this was interesting information to me.
                                So according to Watts there is some concern on the lowered temperatures now suggested on hot water systems posing dangers of not pasteurizing the water and becoming a breeding grounds for some organisms.

You usually get it by breathing in mist from water that contains the bacteria. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/l...esdisease.html
                                not from drinking hot water. so there is some backing for what he stated.
                                Last edited by BHD; 09-19-2007, 09:21 AM.
                                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                                X