Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will portable washing machine damage water main?

I live in an apartment complex and have a portable washing machine. I'm not sure if I'm using the right term but it's the type that you hook up to the kitchen sink faucet. It's on wheels and you can move it around. Now - water main to building (I hope I'm using the right term) is right BEHIND my kitchen sink - i.e. the room with the plumbing to entire building is right behind my kitchen sink. Now - last night or this morning the water main in the plumbing room broke and there was lots of water. Now - I'm wondering if my washing machine caused that? I wasn't using the washing machine at the time. Also - last night - there were torrential rains. I don't know if I should continue to use the portable washing machine although I would sure like to. Please advise.

Re: will portable washing machine damage water main?

i would say no it had nothing to do with the main to break but Waite a little until some others chime in
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

those portables connect to the faucet spout.

so unless you damaged the spout or the faucet by keeping the water turned on under pressure, it had nothing to do with it.

rick.

maybe post a picture of the damaged section of pipe or faucet to know for sure
      phoebe it is

Comment

Sam, washing machines have a solenoid valve, an electric valve thats notorious for sharply shutting off and causing pipes to hammer, it's possible that triggered a break if the main's old, but piping is supposed to handle that type of torque.
        If it did cause it, I doubt they could point it to you.
        If the pipe broke as a result, then it was in need of repair anyway.
        As for that rain yesterday, I got stuck outside in it with a few DPW guys trying to shut off a water main, coincidently.
        Came home soaked.

Comment

Is this in an apartment or condo? A portable washer has to be hard

A friend of ours, in a condo, replaced her dishwasher with an all-in-one washer/dryer. She loves it,but it is a lot of work
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            Is this in an apartment or condo? A portable washer has to be hard

A friend of ours, in a condo, replaced her dishwasher with an all-in-one washer/dryer. She loves it,but it is a lot of work
            so joey she has dirty dishes and clean clothes that are dry

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

She has it all! She just has to wash her dishes by hand, which I imagine is easier than washing her clothes by hand
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Wife: "I'm sick of washing dishes, why don't we have a dishwasher??"
                Hubby: "They're expensive, when the budgets better we'll get one."
                Wife: "I'll do the dishes every night if you get one, just get me one!"
                Hubby does the dishes every other night, despite having new dishwasher.
                There's business economics, personal economics, and then there's marriage economics.
                aaaarrrggh

Comment

Rick yells at me because I wash the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher

We have a new dishwasher that you can put filthy dishes in that come out spotless. It is just a habit from YEARS ago when everything had to be washed off first.

I just can't stop myself
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

You have nothing to do with the pipe leak,from using this type of washing machine. Sound like the plumbing is old, and would have leaked, regardless of anything you would have hooked up to your kitchen sink. Happy washing, Freddy
                    Originally posted by samspeckle View Post
                    I live in an apartment complex and have a portable washing machine. I'm not sure if I'm using the right term but it's the type that you hook up to the kitchen sink faucet. It's on wheels and you can move it around. Now - water main to building (I hope I'm using the right term) is right BEHIND my kitchen sink - i.e. the room with the plumbing to entire building is right behind my kitchen sink. Now - last night or this morning the water main in the plumbing room broke and there was lots of water. Now - I'm wondering if my washing machine caused that? I wasn't using the washing machine at the time. Also - last night - there were torrential rains. I don't know if I should continue to use the portable washing machine although I would sure like to. Please advise.

Comment

Joey

What you are doing is a good thing as a dishwasher is not a garbage disposer. Maybe Rick means that all you have to do is scrape the dirty dishes and pans, but not really wash them in your sink. That's no longer needed. If you do keep on pre-washing them your dishwasher pump has less solids to deal with and that's good. And your vacuum breaker (air gap) won't clog up. Rick should be happy you take care of the dishwasher and don't just load it up with garbage and paper napkins like some people do.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        Joey

Maybe Rick means that all you have to do is scrape the dirty dishes and pans, but not really wash them in your sink. Yes, this is exactly what he means. My garbage disposal just sits and looks pretty

do not let the building owner/manager claim that it is.
                        LOL You mean Rick
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by samspeckle View Post
                          1- do you have renters insurance that covers you in case of a leak ( and they do leak)

2- did you get written permission from the management office to use it

3- You do know that connecting to a kitchen faucet one cannot put the machine on MIX as the water coming through the spout is only the faucet that is on and the water is not being tempered by the machine

4- Many of the buildings that have these connected want some type of protection besides back flow as once you connect your hose to the faucet you just created a problem between cycles as now the hot water can enter the cold potable water lines. (hot water is not safe to drink as it has all kinds of rust etc.

5- Many older buildings do not have a suds pressure zone and the detergent used in washing machines cause soap scum build up inside the piping and can cause a problems on the floors below.

6- Unless you have a shock absorber or air chamber you can cause hydraulic shock (water hammering) that can rupture even new piping if the wave is severe enough.

7- These hook ups are notorious for failing and spritzing water all over

8- make sure that you have a GFI plug

Comment

9- Have you been seperating colors and whites?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                              9- Have you been seperating colors and whites?
                              Duck,you have a great sense of humor,HUGE smile,thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X