Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will portable washing machine damage water main?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samspeckle
    started a topic will portable washing machine damage water main?

will portable washing machine damage water main?

I live in an apartment complex and have a portable washing machine. I'm not sure if I'm using the right term but it's the type that you hook up to the kitchen sink faucet. It's on wheels and you can move it around. Now - water main to building (I hope I'm using the right term) is right BEHIND my kitchen sink - i.e. the room with the plumbing to entire building is right behind my kitchen sink. Now - last night or this morning the water main in the plumbing room broke and there was lots of water. Now - I'm wondering if my washing machine caused that? I wasn't using the washing machine at the time. Also - last night - there were torrential rains. I don't know if I should continue to use the portable washing machine although I would sure like to. Please advise.

• DuckButter
    replied
    Re: will portable washing machine damage water main?

Right Dog, but if there's an alternative view and it isn't insulative, profane or threatening...I'd be concerned with the line between free speech and censorship.
    Yes, the insultive part is in question there, I know.
    Many of your posts are a bit adverse, but I understand where your coming from.
    I actually see things as you do regarding the DIY'ers, and self proclaimed contractors.
    I get frustrated as I do hundreds of estimates in a year and so many either admit they might do it themselves, or ask me to drop my prices unreasonably low.(a concern of mine regarding the weirdly adverse nature this topic takes on in this forum)
    My point is best made with a real example...you and I regarding the whole "offset" thread.
    It got a lil' ugly, sure, but it was very interesting, provocative. (ok, funny too)
    If you hadn't been able to comfortably communicate they way you do, the thread may not have wound up so passionate and inevitably informative.

Leave a comment:

• plumbdog10
    replied

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    BHD, I meant to post regarding that, I know an inspector that requires tanks to be set @ 160, then a tempering valve added because of legionaires hazard.

Regarding fonts, I wish more folks would use more original text, would make things a heck of alot easier when scrolling to identify specific members.
    But Dog...please...leave the purple to Sylvan, it'd be outta character on you.
    Yer just not a purple kinda guy...

Regarding trashing other members for stating what they beleive to be fact, sorry no offense meant, but if I'm ever wrong please feel free correct me, spare the insult, I'm not perfikt, just ask the new wife.

I came to this forum for THAT very reason.
    To exchange info, thoughts and idea's relative to my trade with peers, hopefully hear contradicting idea's and their reasoning.
    It seemed like if ANY name would have a forum like that, it would be RIDGID.

If everyone were completely agree-able on all topics, it couldn't be a bunch of plumbers, not where I come from anyway.
    I agree with Butter on trashing if you are wrong. I have been wrong a number of times, was told so by those who know and admitted it. What I think Josh is referring to is trashing someone with a different business philosophy on every post regardless of the content. I don't, nor would I, speak for Josh, the best webmaster I have ever dealt with, but I think that was his intention. If not, he can correct me, I'm just trying to clarify his post.

Leave a comment:

• franklie
    replied

FYI

Regarding the link provided by sylvan tiger (sylvan of course referring or pertaining to the jungle or forest), there is some truth in the article. Unfortunately the writer of the article appears to want to scare people.

Where the article's author got HIS information is provided in the link here http://rps.uvi.edu/CES/LeadinWater.pdf. It was in very small print at the bottom of the article.

It is agreement with standard plumbing practices that you licensed plumbers follow. If you have a house that used lead solder on the water lines, in the morning turn the tap on to flush out any lead contamination that may have accumulated due to the water standing overnight.

ToUtahNow or Plumbdog or one of the other silverback plumbers on this forum may recall when leaded solder was banned for use in potable water lines and replaced with a silver/tin solder. It was banned in part because of the potential of leaching lead into water.

The hard water on the West coast (or left coast for you easteners ) actually makes for a slower leach rate of lead into the water.

Leave a comment:

• DuckButter
    replied

BHD, I meant to post regarding that, I know an inspector that requires tanks to be set @ 160, then a tempering valve added because of legionaires hazard.

Regarding fonts, I wish more folks would use more original text, would make things a heck of alot easier when scrolling to identify specific members.
    But Dog...please...leave the purple to Sylvan, it'd be outta character on you.
    Yer just not a purple kinda guy...

Regarding trashing other members for stating what they beleive to be fact, sorry no offense meant, but if I'm ever wrong please feel free correct me, spare the insult, I'm not perfikt, just ask the new wife.

I came to this forum for THAT very reason.
    To exchange info, thoughts and idea's relative to my trade with peers, hopefully hear contradicting idea's and their reasoning.
    It seemed like if ANY name would have a forum like that, it would be RIDGID.

If everyone were completely agree-able on all topics, it couldn't be a bunch of plumbers, not where I come from anyway.

Leave a comment:

• BHD
    replied

few weeks ago there was a discussion on hot water heaters and some one posted a like to WATTS controls,

and one link was on Scalding,
    http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...ldinglurks.asp

Learn about topics such as hot water stacking, how to protect individuals from scalding and thermal shock injuries, how to protect against the growth of Legionella bacteria in hot water systems and what new steps should be taken in the industry to eliminate these dangers.
    and on how many (it left me with the indication of LARGE buildings) have turned down the temperatures of the hot water to protect against scalding and burns, but in return setting up for the breeding of bacterias such as legionella, this was interesting information to me.
    So according to Watts there is some concern on the lowered temperatures now suggested on hot water systems posing dangers of not pasteurizing the water and becoming a breeding grounds for some organisms.

You usually get it by breathing in mist from water that contains the bacteria. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/l...esdisease.html
    not from drinking hot water. so there is some backing for what he stated.
    Last edited by BHD; 09-19-2007, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrsSeatDown
    replied

Does this mean I shouldn't shower in hot water either in fear of it getting in my eyes or mouth?

Hey Adam, what do you have against purple?

Dog, There should be 2 tool bars right above the text box when you send a reply. You change the color by clicking on the arrow just to the right of the capital "A" with a horizontal black bar under it. A color grid will drop down

Joey

Leave a comment:

• ToUtahNow
    replied

Sylvan's link was pretty entertaining. Did anyone else look at the other articles written by the author? I'm fairly certain the one titled "fruit cake" was a bio.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• plumbdog10
    replied

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    You forgot the purple!
    I would have, but I don't know how to do it. Such is the pain of limited technical abilities.

Plumbdog, California Licensed Contractor (hehehehehehe).
    Last edited by plumbdog10; 09-18-2007, 09:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• drtyhands
    replied

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
    AS A CALIFORNIA LICENSED CONTRACTOR I THINK IT IS OK TO DRINK HOT WATER.

I CANNOT SPEAK FOR WATER IN NEW YORK.

If my text seems unusual, Josh, I'm tring to fit in with the new members.
    You forgot the purple!

Leave a comment:

• drtyhands
    replied

Sylvan,
    I appreciate your helping by way of the link.

I think I will treat like a witch hunt placed on the internet.Lead?,come on now.Does this entity have any idea how much water is cycled through a hot water heater daily.

Please stop with the loud formats it is annoying and unneccessary.The rest of us do not yell all the time to get attention

Leave a comment:

• mrs. westcoast
    replied

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post

Since i was little i and everyone else drunk the water straight from the pipe...

But then again that was europe..and we still do it

Leave a comment:

• plumbdog10
    replied

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
    Dog FYI class is in (no offense)

Because people no longer have personal responsibility the AGA / CS/ and GAMA have decided to lower the temperature of the water heaters to 125 F and as a professionals (LMP) you know that you need 140 deg to kill bacteria and anything less is now allowing this tank to be an incubator and because people use cold water a lot more then hot (this explains why a cold water riser is larger then a hot) that these tanks are also scoured properly or even maintained as they should be.

Of course I would never expect you to take my word for it so here is a link that puts it in simple terms as licensed plumbers may get to technical and if you want more information as to WHY not drink hot water other then from an instant hot or stove or micro wave and not from a "tank" please feel free to E mail me

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1413847

Leave a comment:

• JERRYMAC
    replied

How ever i do agree about the possability of water hammer from the washermach. causing the main to leak!!

JERRYMAC

Leave a comment:

• JERRYMAC
    replied

Hey;
    i read your link tiegar;
    i beleive in having a open mind for new idea's
    But i don't agree with you on this i have over 35 years installing and serviceing "ALL" Major water heater co's and like the rest of the plumber's who post here i have run a 1,000
    feet or maybe miles of copper potable water pipes,
    i have 'never" heard any thing about hot water leaching any more lead then cold water,
    or problems with drinking or cooking with hot water

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER AND MASTER WATER HEATER TECH, AUTHORIZED SERVICE FOR OVER 75 MFG'S OF WATER HEATERS & BOILERS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X