• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saddle Clamp for stack pipe?

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Valid point.
    I'll say this:
    You've been frustrated by plumbers from other area's assumptions regarding you're NYC pricing.
    On the other hand, Baltimore is expensive, as is the cost of doing buz there.
    She should check to be sure she has a legitimately licensed/insured plumber.
    I get them all the time, homeowners who go with the lowest price, not realizing they may have a hack.
    After the fact, the repairs usually out-cost the initial work.

Thank you, its good thing if people think get frustrated as someone has to shake them up once in a while.

How can any licensed plumber even mumble $65.00 is beyond reasoning

Van = FREE insurance $1.25 per month salary $1.73 per hr, phones FREE as you only have incoming calls none going out huh?

Office $3.00 a year rent and that includes utilities.

Getting to the job cost nothing as shoe leather is cheap.
    You get what you pay for (normally) so if a person sets their worth low who is to argue with them as they know their lack of skills and charge accordingly.
    Ever hear of the Marlboro hotel in Baltmore?

Any how this building was owned by a NYC multi millionaire who also owned lots of property in Manhattan and on the left coast.

He had us do an alteration on this building that took almost 11/2 years.

We had breakfast at the White coffee pot and dinner at Hausners (SP) and that was in the 1960's in the Heart of Baltimore.

I was a kid in those days (working Summers) and even then the prices were comparable to NYC

Food cost the same no matter where you live and health costs are rising as usual and how someone can price themselves below poverty level is truly amazing

Comment

Re: Saddle Clamp/stack pipe Update with pictures

So the plumber who's references checked out and who had a decent bid came out to fix the stack pipe as scheduled.

After he tore out the wall he claimed that the risers were too close to the stack pipe and that there was a 70% chance that they would be damaged while taking the stack out. To cut the stack pipe they use some kind of chain saw I'm told. So of course he offered to replace the risers for another $1200. Hmmmmm?

I don't see why this was such a surprise when even I can see how close the risers are to the stack from the basement. (Photo 1)

We ended up using the epoxy putty to fix what turned out to be a REALLY LONG crack in the pipe. You can see the long line off silver attached to the pipe. (Photo 2)

BUT don't PANIC!! This is a temporary fix and I'm out getting bids again to fix the stack without having to touch the risers. I have until I close the walls.

I did this because I really need some kind of toilet in site while I'm doing the rest of the work in the house (demo of several walls and ceilings, demo and replacement of kitchen and bathroom, popcorn removal etc.) If I don't have ANY bathroom for the pople working here I'll have to rent a Port-a-potty.

So, Do you think the risers are too close?

Pauline
      Attached Files

Comment

TOUGH access. Don't think I could have gotten My chain cutter in there. I would have used sawsall with cast iron blades. I would have completed the job if I came out. That's just Me ! You'll get as many different answers as there are plumbers. A little difficult ,yes,not that big of a deal ,in My opinion
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the way to cut it without damage is to use a 4''- 4.5'' grinder and cut the pipe from the front. as you cut out a window, you then cut from the inside of the pipe to the outside.

this is a way we do it in a ditch when we don't have access to 50% of the pipe.

a pretty simple fix when you know how to do it.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            the way to cut it without damage is to use a 4''- 4.5'' grinder and cut the pipe from the front. as you cut out a window, you then cut from the inside of the pipe to the outside.

rick.
            Rick, I have one on my truck I use it when suitable..problem is the sooty aftermath.
            That stuff gets everywhere, I'm more likely to take the extra time to use a CI sawzall blade.
            I know...more time, more money, but the liability scares me when inside someones home.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
              Rich, you are 1 million percent correct, when I have to replace 5"-6" galvanized or XHCI pipe that is practically embedded in the brick the options

1- Grinder exactly like you said (with the right wheel very little dirt)

2- One of my cast iron cutters works in a very tight space but you have to tighten the wheel go around like one would do with a 4 wheel pipe cutter and it will cut CI quite easily

Comment

Why don't you let the plumber, cut the waste drain and install it per his bid . And cut out the old pipe that probably needs replacement any way yourself. It sound like your short on money, so do it yourself and save. Use CPVC pipe simple glue and go.

Comment

I agree, if I quoted a price up front and found the risers later, my luck, never would I ask for another $1200.00, this is what the est was for, not to add more later.

I would use my grinder like stated, cut the window to get the grinder in there and slid a piece of metal or wood between the riser and the stack to protect from hitting the risers with the grinder, slow goes it, but I have had worse, like in front of the pipe

Hopefully the plumber knows to use a diamond blade on his grinder
                  Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-21-2007, 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
                    Why don't you let the plumber, cut the waste drain and install it per his bid . And cut out the old pipe that probably needs replacement any way yourself. It sound like your short on money, so do it yourself and save. Use CPVC pipe simple glue and go.
                    Possibly because not all codes are lax enough to allow carcinogenic plastic piping to be used on potable supply.

Don't you think it would be prudent to check to see if plastic is allowed ???

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                      Possibly because not all codes are lax enough to allow carcinogenic plastic piping to be used on potable supply.

Don't you think it would be prudent to check to see if plastic is allowed ???
                      Excellent point Tieger

Comment

I use my grinder all the time on CI, but not in an occupied space, just me.
                        Worked a large multi unit residential job years back, we had hundreds of units and they had no room on the stack for snap cutters to cut in/connect T-wye's in each unit without damaging cabinets on the adjacent walls.
                        Tried grinders, but the boss was concerned because they were occupied units and the soot wasn't pretty, fire hazard from the sparks inside the walls with old blown in insulation, we wound up using blades made specifically made for CI.
                        Takes about 10-15 minutes per 3" cut, neat, clean and no sparks.
                        Grinder does it in about half the time, but he was concerned with the fact that all it'd take was one mis-hap in any one of those units to ruin a good contract.

Comment

Grinders I have many 2- 7" killers and about 5 -4 1/2 " ones. Small ones we use for cutting blue stone. I am also a welder,thats' where the 7"ones are used. When cutting in a retro cleanout on cast and terra cotta this is what I do. I cut the clay with My 14" gas hilti diamond blade . then use a 14" metal carb. blade to cut C I . I cut through the pipes and into the mud. fast clean cuts.I also use 2 plastic snow sleds with ropes in crawlers one for tools ,one for the old Man.
                          Hope this helps someone!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Great idea with the snow sled, this would be perfect when going in a crawlspace.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I hate wet crawlers. we also do earthquake retros. Lota hardware and tools.
                              I push one empty sled and pull the tooled up one, with a rope. Keeps yer butt and back dry ,in the mud. I HATE CRAWLERS!

Comment

Working...
                              X