X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall-hung boilers

The more I think about these suitcase-size boilers that hang on the walls of so many European homes, the more I wonder how long it will be before we see more of this technology here in North America. And I wonder how these boilers might change the way we do business.

Re: Wall-hung boilers

They're here.
    Just installed one this summer.

Comment

Look for Munchkin, Viessman, Buderus, Baxi Luna, or just type the phrase "condensing boiler" into a web search.

Comment

i put 4 in apartments 15 yrs a go for base bord heat . they just renovated then and took them out and they still worked well . i wish i got one to heat my pool ,
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Gobby, Hate to tell You. Installed a Viessman in a 1927 Circa home in S. F. 5 years ago. Staple up radiant in 1st floor, full basement. 2 nd floor used stadler panels.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If more wall-hung boilers, especially condensing wall-hung boilers, arrive in America, and if consumers decide that these make sense (as Marianne did), will this change the way we buy circulators? Keep in mind that these circulators are an integral part of the plastic manifold that makes up the hydraulic side of the boiler. You marry that manufacturer.

If the compression tank is built into the boiler, and it is a bladder tank, rather than a diaphragm tank, will this change our thinking about what a compression take should look like, and how will this affect the replacement business?

If the circulator incorporates the air separator as a part of that plastic manifold on the hydraulic side of the wall-hung boiler, what will this do to the air-separator business?

And are we getting that much closer to the concept of The Boiler Room in a Box, and if so, how will this affect the trade?

Stay curious; there are interesting days ahead.

Comment

good point. I've always liked being able to pick and choose my boiler trim, using the manufacturers i like. Same goes for microprocessors. I've always been a tekmar man, and selling a customer a tekmar on top of the built in MP probably sounds redundant to them, not to mention a little shady
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Circulators?
                The usual, 115 volt, Taco, Grundfos, (Bell & Gosset for large applications).
                The boiler relay controls are the same, 24vac.
                Plastic manifolds?!?
                I very much doubt any engineer in his right frame of mind would recommend running plastic piping for heated water in excess of 180 F right off the boiler.
                Maybe you meant the exhaust vent, PVC is recommended for some, others require non corrosive SS "Z" vent - very expensive.
                As for expansion, it's all the same, same manifold make-up.
                The age old debate over using one circ with zone valves vs seperate circ's with checks is still there (I'm a seperate circ guy).
                The primary difference being that these controls often come with a built in relay for the indirect HW, all thats required is connecting the aquastat & circ.
                I felt like I'd been robbed as I watched my electrician connect my last one, it's that easy, color coded plug ins etc.
                On Buderus's and Burnhams condensing boilers the heat exchangers are one solid piece of aluminum to prevent seal compromises, Viessman is SS I believe (too lazy too look it up).
                Buderus recommends using copper for the manifold for galvanic/corrosive purposes...might be wrong but I think most or all with aluminum exchangers recommend copper.
                These boilers are incredible, you can barely tell their on, the loudest part is the blower, which pales in decibels compared to a hair dryer.

Comment

http://www.moduheat.com/
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                    My god, just tell me the exchanger isn't plastic.

Comment

Forwarded From the PDL

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=249

Comment

Originally posted by gobby View Post
                        The more I think about these suitcase-size boilers that hang on the walls of so many European homes, the more I wonder how long it will be before we see more of this technology here in North America. And I wonder how these boilers might change the way we do business.
                        ''

Wall hung boiler installed in my first office in 1984 1,200 Sq ft so it is around here for many, many years and we install them in some Condos in Manhattan.
                        It doesnt mean they will take the place of a free standing one its just another application, no big deal, just like a wall hung water heater

Comment

[quote=ChrisConnor;93978]Forwarded From the PDL

Hey Chris, ever think that the ASME section IV or the NBBI (National board of boiler inspectors) may not have given their seal of approval?

Many foreign made products cannot get an MEA number.

Stick with the PIPDL and you can't go wrong

Comment

Working...
                          X