Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharkbite & Propress Not Approved For Hospitals?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharkbite & Propress Not Approved For Hospitals?

dog,

I found a link to the admendments. I'm not sure why it is not allowed.

http://www.bsc.ca.gov/prpsd_chngs/do...dards_Code.doc

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I found it:
      "Article 3.2(a) no sharkbite fitting shall be installed at, on or near the vicinity of any facility which depends upon the integrity of the fitting, due to the fact that sharkbite fittings are home depot pieces of crap."

Comment

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          I found it:
          "Article 3.2(a) no sharkbite fitting shall be installed at, on or near the vicinity of any facility which depends upon the integrity of the fitting, due to the fact that sharkbite fittings are home depot pieces of crap."
          I'm think there is a concern for it being a critical system but I'm not sure.

Mark

Comment

ok, I got it:
            "316.1.8 [Not permitted for OSHPD 1, 2, 3 & 4] Pressure-Lock-Type Connection. This is a mechanical connection that depends on an internal retention device to prevent pipe or tubing separation. Connection is made by inserting the pipe or tubing into the fitting to a prescribed depth.

316.1.9 [Not permitted for OSHPD 1, 2, 3 & 4] Pressed Fitting. This is a mechanical connection for joining copper tubing that uses a crimping tool to affix the O-ring seal copper or copper alloy fitting to the tubing. The tubing shall be inserted into the fitting, and the crimp shall be made using the tool recommended by the manufacturer. "

Looks like 316.1.8 is concerned with the mechanical integrity of the joint - "This is a mechanical connection that depends on an internal retention device to prevent pipe or tubing separation.".

Looks like 316.1.9 is concerned with the integrity of the seal - "This is a mechanical connection for joining copper tubing that uses a crimping tool to affix the O-ring seal copper or copper alloy fitting to the tubing."

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              ok, I got it:
              "316.1.8 [Not permitted for OSHPD 1, 2, 3 & 4] Pressure-Lock-Type Connection. This is a mechanical connection that depends on an internal retention device to prevent pipe or tubing separation. Connection is made by inserting the pipe or tubing into the fitting to a prescribed depth.

316.1.9 [Not permitted for OSHPD 1, 2, 3 & 4] Pressed Fitting. This is a mechanical connection for joining copper tubing that uses a crimping tool to affix the O-ring seal copper or copper alloy fitting to the tubing. The tubing shall be inserted into the fitting, and the crimp shall be made using the tool recommended by the manufacturer. "

Looks like 316.1.8 is concerned with the mechanical integrity of the joint - "This is a mechanical connection that depends on an internal retention device to prevent pipe or tubing separation.".

Looks like 316.1.9 is concerned with the integrity of the seal - "This is a mechanical connection for joining copper tubing that uses a crimping tool to affix the O-ring seal copper or copper alloy fitting to the tubing."
              What you have posted in red is the original text of the UPC. What was added for California was [Not permitted for OSHPD 1, 2, 3 & 4] .

Mark

Comment

That sucks, because in hospital work, atleast potable, in a five story building, water on the bottom floor, timed shut down, and not being able to use pro press, thats not cool.

I used to do alot of hospital work, I soldered everything, no problem, the one thing I was unable to get to was a 4" copper line, 16 feet in the air, no way to lower or raise the pipe to drain the water, to braze the copper, so instead of using a 4" jet sweat and installing two 4" isolation valves, I chose to use the pro press, the head engineer was very happy with the project and we got the water back on in the time we needed to.

I am sad to find out that this was not legal I am glad to see the question come up, good job dog, I guess next time I will be using the 4" jet sweat and the 4" isolation valves
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  What you have posted in red is the original text of the UPC. What was added for California was [Not permitted for OSHPD 1, 2, 3 & 4] .

Mark
                  It appears OSHPD 1,2,3,4 are categories of medical facilities:

"OSHPD 1
                  Application -
                  General acute-care hospitals and acute psychiatric hospitals, excluding distinct part units or distinct part freestanding buildings providing skilled nursing or intermediate-care services. For Structural Regulations: Skilled nursing facilities and/or intermediate-care facilities except those skilled nursing facilities and intermediate care facilities of single story, Type V, wood or light steel-frame construction.

OSHPD 2
                  Application --
                  Skilled nursing facilities and intermediate-care facilities, including distinct part skilled nursing and intermediate-care services on a general acute-care or acute psychiatric hospital license, provided either in a rate unit or a freestanding building. For Structural Regulations: Single-story, Type V skilled nursing facility and/or intermediate-care facilities utilizing wood or light steel-frame construction.

OSHPD 3
                  Application --
                  Licensed Cclinics and any freestanding building under a hospital license where outpatient clinical services are provided.

OSHPD 4
                  Application --
                  Correctional Treatment Centers. "

Comment

Robert, shop I once worked for, we were doing some remodeling at the basement level of a university med facility.
                    New kid wacked a water line, luckily it was 1/2".
                    Old timer that was with him ran like an olympian to the truck while he had the kid make a clean cut on the gushing line, came back with a compression stop and saved the day.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      That sucks, because in hospital work, atleast potable, in a five story building, water on the bottom floor, timed shut down, and not being able to use pro press, thats not cool.

I used to do alot of hospital work, I soldered everything, no problem, the one thing I was unable to get to was a 4" copper line, 16 feet in the air, no way to lower or raise the pipe to drain the water, to braze the copper, so instead of using a 4" jet sweat and installing two 4" isolation valves, I chose to use the pro press, the head engineer was very happy with the project and we got the water back on in the time we needed to.

I am sad to find out that this was not legal I am glad to see the question come up, good job dog, I guess next time I will be using the 4" jet sweat and the 4" isolation valves
                      As far as I know it is legal now. This new code does not take effect until Jan. 1, 2008.
                      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                        As far as I know it is legal now. This new code does not take effect until Jan. 1, 2008.
                        HURRY!...scramble!
                        Get all those hospital jobs done!

Comment

Working...
                        X