Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ever hit a utility line? Woops

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

IF YOU EVER BREAK A FIBER OPTIC LINE LOOK AWAY. IF YOU LOOK IN TO THE "HOT" END IT CAN BLIND YOU!
    I didn't know this, and to tell you the truth, the first thing I probably would have done is look into it (sort of like clicking on one of Sylvan Tieger's links). Thanks for the heads-up!

Bruce
    Last edited by brucestorey; 09-16-2007, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      IF YOU EVER BREAK A FIBER OPTIC LINE LOOK AWAY. IF YOU LOOK IN TO THE "HOT" END IT CAN BLIND YOU!

Is this really true?..not that I'd like to find out?

When working near fiber optics you can never have too much insurance

Comment

Boy all of these memories are now coming back. When I was doing a developer project we hired a Contractor to come in a run a municipal water system in a gated community which was on wells. The equipment operator hit the main phone line and shut the whole area down for a couple of days. His insurance covered it though.

I was doing a service call in a new track and a block wall contractor hit the supply side of So Cal Gas line to a meter. That thing whistled so loud you could barely stand it. He drove a wooden plug into it and called the gas company. He said it happens all of the time.

My last one was my guys were digging a cleanout in the carport of an apartment building. The cleanout was right where we had been having a continuing stoppage. They called me up because the said they ran in to a steel tank and were not sure what to do. They felt it was abandoned so they wanted to drill a hole in it to see what it was. I told them to leave it alone until I got there. When I got there I saw a gas company truck down the street and ask them to come look at it. It turned out it was the 35" high pressure line feeding the San Joaquin Valley and it was 12' from where they thought it was.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I didn't know that either, thanks for the heads up as well!
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

The project I'm running now is nothing but a accident waiting to happen. Miss Utility came out and marked some of the lines. We've hit a 6'x6'x8x junction box, 3" fiber optic line, 10' water line and a 4' gas line. Our only saving grace is that my operator is so good that he felt everyone of those and didn't cause damage to any of them. Miss Utility missed marking everyone of those items and this is in a span of 50'. My operator has taken up chain smoking because he's so nervous digging.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Boy all of these memories are now coming back. When I was doing a developer project we hired a Contractor to come in a run a municipal water system in a gated community which was on wells. The equipment operator hit the main phone line and shut the whole area down for a couple of days. His insurance covered it though.

I was doing a service call in a new track and a block wall contractor hit the supply side of So Cal Gas line to a meter. That thing whistled so loud you could barely stand it. He drove a wooden plug into it and called the gas company. He said it happens all of the time.

My last one was my guys were digging a cleanout in the carport of an apartment building. The cleanout was right where we had been having a continuing stoppage. They called me up because the said they ran in to a steel tank and were not sure what to do. They felt it was abandoned so they wanted to drill a hole in it to see what it was. I told them to leave it alone until I got there. When I got there I saw a gas company truck down the street and ask them to come look at it. It turned out it was the 35" high pressure line feeding the San Joaquin Valley and it was 12' from where they thought it was.

Mark
              I saw two of those 3' side by side gas supplies that were feeding Los Angeles county through the desert where a water supply line was being pushed under the highway (42 street in Palmdale)

Also Mark,I know what you are talking about when you say whistling gas.Over twenty years ago the contractor hit a 2" gas line,it was more like a roar,it actually hurt my ears to be in the close proximity of it.we were so woried about ignition.The gas tech just through 5 gallons of water into the bell hole to keep static electricity down jumped into the hole and pinch it off took him barely a minute,the repair only had the customers down an hour.The big bill came to the contractor when the gas co. figured how much gas could come out of a 2" high pressure line wide open for twenty five minutes.

Man,what's up with Miss Utility,sounds like they are as capable as a rooter companies technician
              ............EASY BOYS

Comment

I had a laborer cut a PE gas supply line with a pick. He said that he thought it was a piece of trash.

I asked why he didn't recognize the yellow gas mark that was over the supposed piece of trash. He said that he didn't know what the yellow paint was either.

Makes me wonder what he was thinking when we watched the "dig safely" video that explained the colors and the different piping materials.

The repair was $250.00, the charge for the gas was $420.00 dollars.

Comment

Had a well drilling rig hit a service once. We where re-drilling a well to get more flow. Shortly after starting we found when they had drilled the well originally they must have lost their bit and decided that was the depth they were going to stick with. We couldn't drill through it so decided to pull it up and drill a new well right next to it. 2 feet away. Shortly after we started the homeowner informed us they had no power. Eventually it was determined and confirmed we hit the underground service dead on and took out power for them and their neighbors. The service had been put in utilizing the same trench they used for the well.

Comment

When i first started in the U.S.A.F. plumbing we had a outside contractor running new P.E. gas mains on base they did not have underground locate on base in those days, but used the as built plans

they were using a backhoe to dig access hole for boring when they tore out a 2"" line a few feet off a 3" main,
                    in the process they pulled out the 2" valve leafing no way to shut off with closing off the whole base system, !!

they had a man get down into the hole with a 2" hand threader to thread the steel pipe then screw on a gate valve to shut down the line

By the way the as built was appox 6' off where they hit the line

JERRYMAC
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

we were digging up leaking water main in a private trailor park and hit gas line !! then we couldn't find curb stop. Water line was under gas line and sewer tile and gas line was nowere near where UOPS mark, went from one trail and T in the middle instead of straight from the street, so when we did find curb stop we shut down 2 trailors. added another day to the job to fix gas lines and reset meters. I hated that trailor park every thing was screwy never new where utuilty lines were, some of the sewer still tile. Glad i dont have to work there any more ....I hate trailors.
                      RJW
                      HVACR / Plumbing service tech
                      Student

Comment

We have hit too many to list them all.

Most recently, we dug up a 6" High Pressure Natural Gas main for a Campus loop system at Jackson State University. They shut down and evacuated the campus and cancelled classes that afternoon. The university owns teh gas main and there drawings had the location on the wrong side of the road. We fixed it for them, and then sent a bill.

We also dug up a 2000 pair telephone cable that was buried around 14 inches deep.

My guys caught a fibre optic communications line over the weekend, I dont know how big or what that one will cost me. It was our fault.

Regards

Comment

This is getting scarey!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yep, we have some pretty scary moments.

I cant count the number of things we have dug up.

Comment

Working...
                            X