Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Board Morals - avoiding conflict

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Board Morals - avoiding conflict

    I felt that I need to post this as we are getting a few threads where there is more conflict than answers to a question.

    This board is comprised primarily of people who pride themselves on an honest days work and treating their customers fairly. The trade's reputation rides on every representative that works in it. Hard working (yet still well paid) plumbers dont have to advertise or trick their way into pay. Honesty and Integrity get you the job and the callbacks.

    So some new members are getting real defensive after other members attack them on their business practices. Apart from talking about how much you make I think most everyone on here has a lot to contribute. So heres a general rule of thumb. If your proud enough about how much you make that you would post it on a public board then you probably shouldnt be posting it.

    Also... if you are here to brag about taking advantage of a customer (regardless of how rich they are) then I would rather you find another board, you're a pore representation of your trade and of the ridgidforum. I really care about the members on this forum and I am glad their is conflict when someone is taking the low road. So please remember ethics are highly respected here while underhanded greed is going to get you disliked quickly.

    Some of you are struggling with the 2 concepts above yet still have some great knowledge to contribute to the forum. So heres what we do. Lets start over, everyone give the new guys a second chance and new guys please try to keep the two bold points above in mind when posting and I think we will be fine.

    Josh
    Last edited by Josh; 09-17-2007, 09:05 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

    Well said ! Is it ok if I said how little I made last year?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

      i didn't make a dime last year.......................... but i did find two.... lol

      just kidding josh and i agree completely
      9/11/01, never forget.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

        Josh, Does this go for sacred cows or Dogs ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

          Tool, this is actually the opposite of Dog. Dog just doesn't mince words or sugar coat things. He is pideful and knowledgeable in his profession. Dog gets alot of flak for not answering questions and immediately telling people to hire a plumber. 9 times out of 10 the end advice from everyone was hire a plumber.

          There is a good guy trapped somewhere inside of dog. I will not say that about everyone.

          Joey
          I love my plumber

          "My Hero"

          Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

            "The Dog" means well, but sometimes just has to bark and growl when he can't stand how a thread is going.

            As for people bragging about ripping off customers, it won't be long until they have no more customers.

            I removed the part about Josh needing new tools-machinery.
            Last edited by Woussko; 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

              Alright, I get to stay, since I am also broke all the time, thanks to my kids...
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

              http://www.contractorspub.com

              A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

                Good move Josh,
                It was getting rediculous.
                Most people flare on politics or religion, yet for some reason rates/money are the trigger here.
                One of the hardest, most nailbiting experiences early in self employment are rates, and how to charge.
                When I first started, I found myself adding receipts and checks at jobs end with remorse over lack of earnings, still occasionally happens.
                I'd bid low for lack of confidence, or fear of not getting the work and regret it after.
                Meanwhile under-cutting the competition.
                Thanks to painful experience, I have since learned it best to walk away as I learned the price game.
                The experiences of others is a less painful process.
                For most of us, comparison through peers is VERY helpful, but it seems that topic has had a negative effect here on numerous occasions.
                Thats unfortunate, specifically where this forum has the "Ridgid" name, a veritable magnet for our line of work.
                I'd hoped this forum to be the fore-runner in online discussion on relative topics for a sol-prop plumber like myself (at one point even mentioning a closed forum), for those of us with little more than the line at the plumbing supply for discussion on pertinent information relative to our livelyhood.
                It would seem the subject matter has been constricted over ethical distaste and emotional entropy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

                  I know I get to stay, I just gave a way about an hour of my time to Burger King. I cleaned a 2" line last week and it was plugged again today. It`s got a brake in it and the mud wont stop plugging it up. I called my plumber and told em no charge till he gets em fixed.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

                    Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    I felt that I need to post this as we are getting a few threads where there is more conflict than answers to a question.

                    This board is comprised primarily of people who pride themselves on an honest days work and treating their customers fairly. The trade's reputation rides on every representative that works in it. Hard working (yet still well paid) plumbers dont have to advertise or trick their way into pay. Honesty and Integrity get you the job and the callbacks.

                    So some new members are getting real defensive after other members attack them on their business practices. Apart from talking about how much you make I think most everyone on here has a lot to contribute. So heres a general rule of thumb. If your proud enough about how much you make that you would post it on a public board then you probably shouldnt be posting it.

                    Also... if you are here to brag about taking advantage of a customer (regardless of how rich they are) then I would rather you find another board, you're a pore representation of your trade and of the ridgidforum. I really care about the members on this forum and I am glad their is conflict when someone is taking the low road. So please remember ethics are highly respected here while underhanded greed is going to get you disliked quickly.

                    Some of you are struggling with the 2 concepts above yet still have some great knowledge to contribute to the forum. So heres what we do. Lets start over, everyone give the new guys a second chance and new guys please try to keep the two bold points above in mind when posting and I think we will be fine.

                    Josh

                    Great post Josh, What I do think is frustrating is folks trying to compete with the fly by nights who have no clue to the "cost of doing business" and these folks do their best to lower the bar for the legitimate contractors.

                    To bad more people do not crunch the numbers or the very least hire a professional CPA /MBA to get them on the right track NOT calling everyone around to find "a going rate" as each company has their own set of expenses and higher standard of living expectations.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

                      Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      I know I get to stay, I just gave a way about an hour of my time to Burger King. I cleaned a 2" line last week and it was plugged again today. It`s got a brake in it and the mud wont stop plugging it up. I called my plumber and told em no charge till he gets em fixed.
                      Thats a given, if anyone (legitimate) does any service call and with in a short period of time they get a call back there should be no charge.

                      However if I snake out a line and remove roots and two weeks later get a call and snake out the line and find a pamper YES THEY ARE CHARGED AGAIN.

                      IF I failed to remove all the roots and it gets blocked again then there is no charge.

                      You handled the account very professionally as I have maintained clients for over 25 years by offering quality and most people will choose quality over just pricing any time

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

                        Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                        Great post Josh, What I do think is frustrating is folks trying to compete with the fly by nights who have no clue to the "cost of doing business" and these folks do their best to lower the bar for the legitimate contractors.

                        To bad more people do not crunch the numbers or the very least hire a professional CPA /MBA to get them on the right track NOT calling everyone around to find "a going rate" as each company has their own set of expenses and higher standard of living expectations.


                        Well Said Freddy

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

                          Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
                          Thats a given, if anyone (legitimate) does any service call and with in a short period of time they get a call back there should be no charge.

                          However if I snake out a line and remove roots and two weeks later get a call and snake out the line and find a pamper YES THEY ARE CHARGED AGAIN.

                          IF I failed to remove all the roots and it gets blocked again then there is no charge.

                          You handled the account very professionally as I have maintained clients for over 25 years by offering quality and most people will choose quality over just pricing any time
                          I would tend to believe that YOU would have charged em being they have a broken line??? No???

                          Now if they dont get it fixed for some reason I will be charging em for the next clean out but as far as I know they are gonna use my master plumber to do the repair so right now it`s no charge. Gotta keep everyone happy
                          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM.
                          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

                            Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                            I would tend to believe that YOU would have charged em being they have a broken line??? No???

                            Now if they don't get it fixed for some reason I will be charging em for the next clean out but as far as I know they are gonna use my master plumber to do the repair so right now it`s no charge. Gotta keep everyone happy

                            Well If if snake /water jet a line and tell the folks I removed MUD/ rocks etc and explained to them the pipe in question is in dire need of repair /replacement and they say "ILL get back to you and it happens in a few days later then they pay again... its a per job judgment call.

                            I know for example when doing a 27 story CO- OP 3" kitchen line that has a grease stoppage on the upper floors if one jets /snakes it there is a very good possibility the stoppage will re occur on a lower floor .

                            Then there should be another charge OR charge high enough for the initial call to allow for the time wasted to do it again or explain a stoppage of this nature can return .

                            I snaked out a main sewer and less then a month later the account called he had a stoppage, I checked the main trap and found the stoppage was on the house side not the street side and it was packed with leaves THUS I did charge again.


                            Leaves and roots and mud are a plumbers friend

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Board Morals - avoiding conflict

                              heyyyyyyyyy i just found aanother dime...... i'm on a roll..............lol
                              9/11/01, never forget.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X