X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flood Control Measures

Originally posted by Sump Stumped View Post

What? no feces no toilet paper?......ppfffhh

Wash. DC has combined sewers like Chicago.

WASA (Wash. Water and Sewer Auth.) installed backwater valves for every house on the block in a Northwest D.C. neighborhood. WASA is responcible for sewers right up to your front door.

Everyone was happy and thought that the flooding problems would finally go away.

Then it rained real hard.

No one told the homeowners to remove the rear downspouts

Comment

P Crack

Some older houses just over the line in MD have the stairwell drains tied into the sanitary sewer line. If they have a basement drain wild things have been known to happen during heavy rain storms. As for having downspouts connected into sanitary lines.....

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        P Crack

Some older houses just over the line in MD have the stairwell drains tied into the sanitary sewer line. If they have a basement drain wild things have been known to happen during heavy rain storms. As for having downspouts connected into sanitary lines.....
        Yea Woussko I think you fall under the W.S.S.C. juristiction. Same thing, no storm drains anywhere.

I sometimes forget to pay attention to the weather when I'm cutting into a combined sewer line.

On the upside though...hardly any smell and the mains are squeeky clean

Comment

P C

Yes to WSSC

We do have storm sewers but not near enough of them. The whole area is old and it shows. I'm sure you've had more than your share of it all.

Some areas (not me thankfully) have basement sewage backup issues where builders just build without regard for what's right and wrong. They bribe to get permits passed.

Getting back to the original poster the standby generators are a must. Without sewage pumps running it quicky becomes a grand mess. Areas in small towns and in the country really need to watch out for this.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Aaron, I need a bucket of steam, any idea where I can get one?
            He needs more info, you forgot to specify the
            temperature and pressure of the steam in the bucket.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Hey Duck go get the blue handled pipe stretcher.

Your real funny, try being a comedian.
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                Wtf thats a low ball shot dude.
                Hey Aaron, I quit school at 16 joined the navy at 17, I took my GED test in the Navy and applied for diploma years later after I had started my own company and bought out another.

One of my managers had hid MBA hanging on a wall so my wife thought it would be fun to apply for my GED and we hung it in my office.

The MBA (Tom) asked is that a joke, I said nope I earned in when I was in the Navy he asked is that all the education you have?

I said well its enough to have three college grads working for me plus one MBA who was doing all the paper work.

Even Bill Gates was awarded a doctorate AFTER he become the worlds richest man, Henry Ford never finished school and built up the ford Motor company.

I met several college grads working flipping hamburgers, when the economy takes a nose dive plumbers and sewer cleaners are always needed as electricians and great HVAC guys

One of my accounts has 200 million dollars personal wealth, then he told me he quit school in the 6th grade and built up a food distribution's empire.

It has to do what one does with the education they acquire.

My mailman has a degree in "political science"

Comment

Thanks for sharing that, very inspiring.

My Back Flow Teacher/Master Plumber/Plumbing Inspector found a good quote by Benjamin Franklin, and it was....

“If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.”

And I feel this fits me well due to the fact that any plumbing/related class I'm able to attend, I go to it. No one can ever take that piece of paper away from me. They may have mixed/bad feelings towards me, thinking I'm a smart *** for having these so young, but it's not my fault they never applied themselves.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron I too never finished school or even got my GED to this day. I`ve been working and living on my own since I was 14. I've owned over 15 business and sold most of em for some pretty good money. I have more play toys then any man should ever have. I live in a BIG 2 story house that`s paid for along with 2 other houses that I own. I have a 4000 square foot shop that`s paid for on a main road in my town. All this did not come easy and took many long hours of work, I`m talking like 60 hour weeks for the last 30 years. I do however have a Diploma in the Skilled Trades of Plumbing. It was a lot of hard work to get that Diploma because I didnt have much schooling. The math was a real *****. I can do any math problem out there, just not the way they wanted me to do it...lol My spelling is on the weak side along with my writing skills. I`m very good with business and working with people and that's the only reason I got by all these years. Things would have been much easier "if" I had finished school and learned the stuff I thought I already knew.
                    Yea I made a good life for myself along with Benjamin Franklin and all the others that didnt have much schooling but I keep thinking "what if"I would have finished school? I think it would have made it much easier to do what I have already done and left time to do even more.
                    My point is "finish school", enjoy being a kid a little longer then go nuts making money. After all, that`s all that`s left after you're an adult
                    Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 09-18-2007, 07:37 PM.
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I've already made up my mind about schooling. As many of you stated, years from now I may regret it, but only time will tell in that area.

I'll try and make it short. I typed 89 words per minute in my typing class in 9th grade, but as you stated All Clear, it wasn't the 'proper' way to type. I challenged the teacher himself claiming I could type faster than him, but he declined, I wonder why?! It just upsets me they were always saying, think outside the box, yet when I did that, and found a technique that worked better for me, and made me more efficient, they didn't approve of it, and I got a F in the class, I was the fastest, most accurate typer in the class too.

I stopped going to school roughly in the middle of 9th grade. This was roughly 200 some school days I missed before I was 16 and legally signed out, so it was truancy. The fine was $10,000-$15,000 and they were trying to send my dad to jail for two weeks. Kinda ironic since he was a high school teacher for 25 years! I wrote the judge a letter explaining my feelings on the subject and included pictures of all my tools, he dropped all the charges, jail time and even the court costs!

So yeah, through all that, I don't like school much. I'm glad I'm out in the trades making an honest and descent living and part of a dieing bread that takes pride in their work.

Thanks for all those who read all that.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Well my reply to that is "GOOD LUCK"

Remember to always ask those stupid questions because there is no stupid questions just stupid mistakes by those who never ask Ask and learn, you have along long hard road waiting for ya.
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Aaron,
                          I thought I'd comment on your dislike of school math...

-How do you size smaller drains to displace a larger one?

-You have a 22 degree angle that has a 10" gap between, what size is the laying length that fits from center to center inside that angle?

-You have several gas fixtures you need to vent to the chimney, two 3" vents, a 4" vent & a 6" vent....what size is the common vent to the chimney?

-A boiler will operate at 20psi...what will the boiling point of the water be?

I won't argue, thats not my point.
                          My point is that you'll have to learn the math to plumb, you'll have to get your school done.
                          My back is wrecked, my knee's go out.
                          I've crawled around under a 25 year old kids new house with a BMW in the driveway....good guy, computer programmer.
                          Aaron, you're smart as a whip, I really think you underestimate your ability to learn.
                          I also think you really need to see what college grads live like compared to tradesmen, THEN make a decision.
                          Don't get me wrong, I like what I do.
                          IF I could go back, knowing what I know, now I'd be an engineer.
                          I know you'll stand your ground, I did long ago, so this is the last I'll mention it.
                          I STILL want that bucket of steam...HURRY!
                          Last edited by DuckButter; 09-19-2007, 08:12 AM. Reason: To make MARK happy!

Comment

screw the bucket of steam, I need level water, not any kind of level water, the one with the bubble in it!!

hey man, your level has a bubble in it, I think it's broken
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                              By the way the homeowner did collect from L. A. city for all damages and cost of restortion of house!!!

JERRYMAC
                              I would have to know more about this case as I have been involved in a lot of cases with city mains flooding a house with sewage and I have never seen the city pay once. There was one case where the home owner won but lost on the city's appeal but that was as close as it has ever gotten.

By the way as no one else has commented on it your call on the storm water and sewage is right on spot. Chicago is one of the few places that does it but it does create a situation where the city's system can be over whelmed during a storm.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                                Aaron,
                                I thought I'd comment on your dislike of school math...

-How do you size smaller drains to displace a larger one?

-You have a 22 degree angle that has a 10" gap between, what size is the laying length that fits from center to center inside that angle?

-You have several gas fixtures you need to vent to the chimney, two 3" vents, a 4" vent & a 6" vent....what size is the common vent to the chimney?

-A boiler will operate at 20psi...what will the boiling point of the water be?

I won't argue, thats not my point.
                                My point is that you'll have to learn the math to plumb, you'll have to get your school done.
                                My back is wrecked, my knee's go out.
                                I've crawled around under a 25 year old kids new house with a BMW in the driveway....good guy, computer programmer.
                                Aaron, you're smart as a whip, I really think you underestimate your ability to learn.
                                I also think you really need to see what college grads live like compared to tradesmen, THEN make a decision.
                                Don't get me wrong, I like what I do.
                                IF I could go back, knowing what I know, now I'd be an engineer.
                                I knopw you'll stand your ground, I did long ago, so this is the last I'll mention it.
                                I STILL want that bucket of steam...HURRY!
                                I'd love to reply to you but I went blind reading your small print. Maybe after a little nap I will try again.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X