X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood Control Measures

I have a question, my basement flooded with 12 inches of sewage water on a big storm in the Chicagoland region on the 23rd of August. I need to get a backflow valve fitted (not an ejector pump) does the valve go on the outside of the house or is it placed in the pipe in my crawlspace under the foundation in the existing metal pipe?, I have a toilet in my basement. Which leads to my next question, can an outside access be fitted after the valve if they are excavating to place the valve in the clay pipe?

Overhead plumbing is way too expensive and does not from what I have heard stop the backup of sewage in a power outtage situation.

The other plan is to cap my toilet hole in the basement using a econl plug (spelling?)

What would your recommendations be?

Re: Flood Control Measures

First off, you stated you need a back flow valve, when you actually need a back water valve or check valve?! I can't tell by the way you worded it.

Similar wording yet two completely different items.

I have seen Back Water Valves under the slab and also outside under the ground.

And the way you worded the rest of your questions confuses me.
    Last edited by Aaron91; 09-17-2007, 04:55 PM.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

you need a back water valve and install it on the outside of the foundation where you can service it

While overland flooding cannot always be prevented, a backwater valve can prevent or significantly reduce sewage backups into homes and businesses in low-lying areas

contact a licensed plumber to do the job!

http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I think the backwater valve can be placed outside of the footprint of the building and you can put cleanouts adjacent to it (cleaning away from it)...
        I would have to defer to a local expert as to whether this would be legal in your neck of the woods...
        The main thing would be to ensure the valve would be accessable for service if it requires it in future...
        If it is too deep, service might require excavation...
        In this case, the crawlspace install might make more sense...
        You would do well to get the opinion of a licensed local plumber...

---

<sigh> beaten to the punch by AllClear...

Comment

you got to remember I`m a racer too
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

For all your information;
            in the "CHICAGO" area the storm water and the sewer system go'es though the same pipe system,

yes. a backwater will stop the backup from the city;
            but you need a water alarm in basement area, when the city line back's up and you are still running water/sewer upstairs
            this will flow out in the basement!!!
            if it was me and the only downstairs fixtures you can do without i would pull the fixtures and plug the drains!!!
            if you want to use downstairs fixtures then put in some kind of
            water alarm, and moniter it during high rainstorms

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
              And the way you worded the rest of your questions confuses me.
              See kids, thats why you stay in school.
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Wtf thats a low ball shot dude.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Don't listen to him Aaron...You are geat..beside you went back to school didn't you?

Comment

Since I'm studying for the GED test at the end of October, I guess you could say so.

But that's just a low ball shot that got under my skin.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I feel back water valve are next to useless. There always seems to be some kind of obstruction holding the darn check open when needed most. I also find alot of snake jockeys pull them out to snake by and never put them back , a lot of good it does then.

I have installed flood gates with very good results. http://www.jrsmith.com/products/back..._operation.htm

Comment

I'm on your side, but I have to agree with him. I admire the hell out of your knowledge for you age, but I said before you will regret your lack of education later.

It would be easy for me to jump on the bandwagon and say great, go kid go. But since you choose to post on this forum, I have to look at you like I do my Godsons. Sometimes those who are hard on you care the most.

How's that GED you were working on coming?
                        the dog

Comment

I would suggest installing a telescopic backwater valve where your sewer exits the footing. It has a 6" diameter pipe riser, with either a 4" or a 3" diameter pipe that slides down inside, attached to that is a another fitting with the flapper on it. Very good design. easy to locate in the yard, it has a 6" FIP and a RH plug. the length of the risers depend on the depth of your sewer.

Like mentioned before to many "plumbers/ drain cleaners" do not look for these devices and I have gone to many that have been broken off or someone has gotten stuck. You as the owner know, when you have a mainline stoppage, tell the plumber/ drain cleaner that you have one on your line. Once a cable is pulled back through it without removing the flapper after the stoppage is cleared, it is worthless.

The appropriate term for the device is called a Backwater valve, a backwater valve is for sewage or graywater that has objects in it, a check valve is for water only.

Telescopic is the best way to go, it raises the device above ground, easy to service and maintain. The other place I have located them would be by the crawl space entrance hole, on the main 3" or 4" drain,(this wouldn't be a telescopic) easy access, but not as easy as in the front yard, For looks, put it in a yard box, one that say's "sewer" on the lid.

I install a 4" mainline c/o after my backwater valves.

I am unable to find a picture of the one I use, but if you have a plumber go to a local plumbing supply house (not home depot) he will know what to get.
                          Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-17-2007, 10:59 PM.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Sorry aaron, but your confusion is so visceral. it was a joke. I started in the trade when i was 15 and I got chirped all the time, I feel its a rite of passage.
                            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Aaron, I need a bucket of steam, any idea where I can get one?

Comment

Working...
                              X