Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm very proud of this work, what do you guys think?!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very proud of this work, what do you guys think?!

Well guys as I've stated before my boss feels I'm at the point where I deserve my own truck, and at only 16 years old, this is a huge honor, I even got a 'helper', what a headache. It's not that he's not educated in the plumbing field, it's just he doesn't want to do anything, so frustrating.

Myself next to the 50 Gallon Electric Water Heater I installed. (Tired)

Ran the Relief Valve in copper(very clean solder joints btw) into the Condensation Line.

Some points I'd like to state.

1. Like my RIDGID hat?!

2. I put the Water Heater on 4 1-1/2" PVC Cupplings, I was always taught that in case something spills, or there's a leak on a pipe somewhere, the water doesn't lay in between the concrete and metal and eat away at the tank from the outside in, what are your guys' thoughts on this?

3. I even threw in a Tee at the even on the Copper Line. I did for the 'next guy' that will come behind me aka the service guy. I feel that once the HVAC guys put their lines in there, that if I just 90*ed down, and that Relief Valve was going off/acting up you'd never know because the other pipes would hide the steam/sound.

4. I even bleed all the air out of the tank, that way when the Electrician wires it up, he doesn't blow an element, or maybe a fuse too! I feel this is an easy task that is often forgot about.

5. I used a Ramset and put a 2"x4" on the wall so the copper wasn't contacting the concrete. What chemical reaction is this called? I knew not to do it, but I forgot what the reaction is called.
    Last edited by Aaron91; 09-22-2007, 09:47 AM.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: I'm very proud of this work, what do you guys think?!

Congrats', expect folks to 2nd guess You, because of your age. Just smile and do the neatest job possible.Be organized and do a great cleanup. That means a lot to the gal in the home! Again,Congrats'
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I didn't scroll down to the pix,sorry. Look's great . funny ,no earth quake straps!

NY is safe .
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Sorry about that, I posted the thread before I added the pictures.

Thanks, fortunately most guys think I'm 20 or so when the topic is brought up. Might be good now, but not down the line.

I don't live in California so they're not needed.
        Last edited by Aaron91; 09-22-2007, 10:00 AM.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

arron i rmember when you frist got here and you wanted to leave where you were but i think everone told you to stay because of your age and to get some experice, thinks really seem to be looking up for you keep up the good work ok!!
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            Well guys as I've stated before my boss feels I'm at the point where I deserve my own truck, and at only 16 years old, this is a huge honor, I even got a 'helper', what a headache. It's not that he's not educated in the plumbing field, it's just he doesn't want to do anything, so frustrating.

Myself next to the 50 Gallon Electric Water Heater I installed. (Tired)

Ran the Relief Valve in copper(very clean solder joints btw) into the Condensation Line.

Some points I'd like to state.

1. Like my RIDGID hat?!

2. I put the Water Heater on 4 1-1/2" PVC Cupplings, I was always taught that in case something spills, or there's a leak on a pipe somewhere, the water doesn't lay in between the concrete and metal and eat away at the tank from the outside in, what are your guys' thoughts on this?

3. I even threw in a Tee at the even on the Copper Line. I did for the 'next guy' that will come behind me aka the service guy. I feel that once the HVAC guys put their lines in there, that if I just 90*ed down, and that Relief Valve was going off/acting up you'd never know because the other pipes would hide the steam/sound.

4. I even bleed all the air out of the tank, that way when the Electrician wires it up, he doesn't blow an element, or maybe a fuse too! I feel this is an easy task that is often forgot about.

5. I used a Ramset and put a 2"x4" on the wall so the copper wasn't contacting the concrete. What chemical reaction is this called? I knew not to do it, but I forgot what the reaction is called.
            A couple of comments:

1) I doubt that Maryland has seismic regulations, so he's probably ok there, but:

2)How come there's no shut-off valves on the heater.

3)The T&P should drain either outside the building or into an indirect waste receptor.

4)If you are draining it into and indirect receptor you need an air gap.

5)I don't like the idea of the tee. If the water heater did over heat, you might get spray from the top of the tee causing a possible burn situation.

My comments are based on the UPC and California general practices, so check your local codes.
            the dog

Comment

OSC- Thanks.

Dog-

2.There is a shut off valve on the cold inlet pipe right out of sight of the picture.

How's this for ya boss?!

3. The Relief Valve is piped into the Condensation Pipe, which runs into the Sum Pump Pit which is then pumped outside.

4. When I go back on Monday to finish up the house, I was going to cut the Condensation Pipe down, creating an air gap. My question to you is, how far off the slab do you cut your Condensation Pipe(s)?

5. I do see your concern about the Tee, and it is valid.
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Here, we cannot use plastic pipe within 24" of any heater/ boiler.
                Thats likely just my code.

Comment

Duck- If the water heater has a metal flu, we must run copper pipe for 24". But if it's an Electric Water Heater, or Power vent Water Heater, we can run CPVC right into the Water Heater.

** If I put a 18" of 3/4" Copper pipe into the top of the Tee, do you think that would be acceptable to lower the risk of someone getting injured? **
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Hi Aron, my first post here so hi to everyne else also!
                    Well brief introdyuction im a plumbing and heating engineer from England and stumbled across your site when researching how plumbing was practised in the USA.
                    First off congratulations very neat work, nice soldered joints very neat and proffesional looking. All straight pipe runs though no bends on the copper pipe, was this to ease installation?
                    Water heater on plastic couplings, don't think we would get away with that here, what will the heater weigh when full?
                    See what you were thinking with the tee but think like Dog stated possibly dangerous. In the Uk we would use elbow and then connect into a tundish before drain, this way you get the air gap and also there is a visible sign of any dishcharge for customer to see. The idea of adding 18' of copper to tee is good but i would probably extend it so the it is at leat five foot from from level so safely reach above the height of any small children.
                    Not dissing you in any way just pointing out the differances between your laws and ours and giving my own personal opinion on what i would do.

Comment

Clean work Aaron. Just a few points to add

The required air gap on a t&p line is 2 times the pipe size per code. (UPC) This would be in the "Indirect Waste" section of the code book.

I have another suggestion, if I was to install the water heater, I would have not installed it on the pvc couplings, this makes the water heater unstable, unless you install it on a water heater stand, which in your case is not needed. The water heater has a bottom to it, the 2" you raised it will not do any good. I see what you were trying to do, but it isn't necessary.

I also would have moved the water heater closer to a wall, not floating. I am not sure of your set up, but I am sure you could have positioned the heater against a wall, just worked the water lines over, instead of straight down to the unit.

The tee is very dangerous as the copper fittings are not directional fittings, unless a 90 is used, that tee has to go. It would be illegal for the HVAC guy's to tie in their condensate to your tee.

Great Job Aaron, you are getting there!! I like the way you post the pics and remember, we are only here to save you time and help you learn the right way. Congrats on the new van buddy!!
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        Here, we cannot use plastic pipe within 24" of any heater/ boiler.
                        Thats likely just my code.
                        Here it's 18". Aaron you're doing good, you know you're opening yourself up for critism when you post these pics but you do it for self improvement. That's a very hard thing to do. Learn from your mistakes and you'll be doing good.

Getting a truck is a huge responsibility, don't take it lightly. Be hard but firm with your helper. Always be the same way with him. If you're an a$$hole, always be an a$$hole, if you're the nice guy, always be the nice guy. Nothing is more fustrating for a helper that doesn't know how his mechanic will react depending on the time of day. One day he will work for someone else or himself and will be a direct reflection of you.
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 09-22-2007, 03:05 PM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Nice neat work there, others have all ready made comments on items to improve the install,

I jsut had to smile as to the bandage on the finger,
                          great job site bandage there, (first aid kit, I don't need no stinking first aid kit) some tape and a paper towel and your good to go,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

RJ- Welcome to the site my friend. The amount of knowledge on this site is amazing. Thanks I take a lot of pride in clean/neat work. I will be going back to the house anyways on Monday, and I plan to remove the Tee and replace it with a 90*.

Robert- Thanks. How far off the concrete should I cut the 1-1/2" Condensation Pipe? I was assuming 12" inches or so, but wanted to check before doing it. Since there's 4 couplings, the heater in my opinion is very sturdy. Also I was told the heater must be where I put it because right to the back of the heater is roughed in for a future bathroom. I will be replacing that Tee with a 90*. I gotcha boss and appreciate the response.

Ben- Thanks, I know I'm opening myself up, but I wanna hear what you veterans to plumbing have to say about my work. I work a laid back, yet productive day, and try to lay myself out the best I can. The bottom line with this 'kid' he's 20 btw, is if he doesn't wanna work, he's not going too.

BHD- HAHA. It happened so fast, I think the wheel of my copper cutters somehow did it. It dug in pretty deep too. I walked out to the truck looking for a first aid kit with no luck, the General Contractor thought he had one, but didn't so he gave me a band aid, a paper towel and some tape and I thanked him.
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron your joints look perfect but there is a slight problem with the piping arrangement.

The discharge piping shall have as few bends as possible (less friction loss) and pitch the piping away from the discharge point.

The end of the discharge pipe should be cut normally in a 45 degree angle so no one can add a fitting to the T&P relief piping

You did not leave a means for replacing the T&P , the copper has to be cut and either a coupling or a union has to be installed by the person replacing the safety valve.

The discharge from a relieve or safety valve shall not connect to any drain or vent but through a "air break"

The reasoning is in case the condensate drain becomes blocked the T&P will not discharge properly if at all.

The outlet of a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof, shall not be directly
                              connected to the drainage system. The discharge from the relief valve shall be piped full size separately
                              to the floor, to the outside of the building or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building. In
                              areas subject to freezing, the relief valve shall discharge through an air gap into an indirect waste
                              receptor located within a heated space, or by other approved means. The discharge shall be installed in a
                              manner that does not cause personal injury or property damage and that is readily observable by the
                              building occupants. The discharge from a relief valve shall not be trapped. The diameter of the discharge
                              piping shall not be less than the diameter of the relief valve outlet. The discharge pipe shall be installed
                              so as to drain by gravity flow and shall terminate atmospherically not more than 6 inches (152 mm) above
                              the floor. The outlet end of the discharge pipe shall not have a valve installed.

If you check the NBBI or ASME IV (Article 7Fig.HLW-703.1 & HLW-703.2 ) you will see the piping arrangements suggested

Section 504.7 and 504.7.1 of the standard plumbing code basically takes the same wording from the ASME/NBBI about where the discharge piping from a T&P shall be located

If you ever have a question please feel free to either contract me or the NBBI /ASME / NFPA are more then willing to share their knowledge with any one desiring the right answers.

You can also join my PIDL list if you want to talk to new comers and really old timers from all over the globe
                              Last edited by Sylvan Tieger; 09-22-2007, 06:08 PM. Reason: grama

Comment

Working...
                              X