New UPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New UPC

Over the last week or so I have been reviewing the pre-print of the 2009 UPC. I was wondering if anyone here has had the time to review it or the committee reports of revisions.

Although it was rejected one of the issues was rolling burrs out instead of removing them from pipe. It seems there would be a bunch of tool manufacturers affected with a ruling like that.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: New UPC

LOL...interestingly coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Over the last week or so I have been reviewing the pre-print of the 2009 UPC. I was wondering if anyone here has had the time to review it or the committee reports of revisions.

Although it was rejected one of the issues was rolling burrs out instead of removing them from pipe. It seems there would be a bunch of tool manufacturers affected with a ruling like that.

Mark
      At this point I don't get involved with the UPC until California adopts it. Case in point is the 2007 California Plumbing Code, based on the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code. California never adopted the 2003 Uniform Plumbing Code. At this point I'm not sure five years from now California will adopt the 2009 UPC.

That's why I don't get ahead of the game any more on codes.
      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
        At this point I don't get involved with the UPC until California adopts it. Case in point is the 2007 California Plumbing Code, based on the 2006 Uniform Plumbing Code. California never adopted the 2003 Uniform Plumbing Code. At this point I'm not sure five years from now California will adopt the 2009 UPC.

That's why I don't get ahead of the game any more on codes.
        Very few jurisdictions adopted the 2003 UPC or the 2003 UMC because they were waiting for a merge with the International Code. I for one hope the merge never happens under the direction of the International Code.

Mark

BTW: So that I don't seem bias I belong to both IAPMO and the ICC.

Comment

Very few jurisdictions adopted the 2003 UPC or the 2003 UMC because they were waiting for a merge with the International Code. I for one hope the merge never happens under the direction of the International Code.

Mark

BTW: So that I don't seem bias I belong to both IAPMO and the ICC.
          In my part of the country, most everyting is based on the 2003 code. I see the good and the bad in it. The newer 2006 ICC had re-adopted some ASHRAE standard for indoor air quality, but overall I must admit that for our demographics etc... its works well.

I guess it depends on the market you are in and what everyone is accustomed to performing.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
            In my part of the country, most everyting is based on the 2003 code. I see the good and the bad in it. The newer 2006 ICC had re-adopted some ASHRAE standard for indoor air quality, but overall I must admit that for our demographics etc... its works well.

I guess it depends on the market you are in and what everyone is accustomed to performing.

Regards,
            In California and Nevada they went with the IRC and the IBC for Building Codes but stuck with the UPC and the UMC for the Plumbing and Mechanical Codes. This has created a bit of a problem as the Uniform Codes will refer to the Uniform Building Codes which are no longer there. As an example the UPC requires Earthquake straps based on sesmic zones listed in the UBC which is not adopted. Hence they use the language in the UMC instead which requires fixed Appliances to be anchored.

Utah and Arizona adopted all of the International Codes so they do not have the same problem.

Mark

Comment

I agree 100%, the trend that I see is everyone (in this area) adopting the ICC codes, (with the lone exception of the electrical discipline).

It will make things easier on the contractors if this trend does come to fruition.

Regads,

Comment

Mark
                mark, i've been using a tool for the last few years that actually rolls out the burr. all it does is push the copper back onto itself. it works very good for 1/2''-2'' copper, as long as the copper is in your hand. much harder if the copper is in a fixed position as the tool is hard to work with pipe in place.

the advantage is there is no copper shards to worry about floating around the system.

are you saying they want to eliminate reaming with a cutting style tool?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

are you saying they want to eliminate reaming with a cutting style tool?

rick.
                  Yes that is what was proposed but rejected.

Mark

Comment

Yes that is what was proposed but rejected.

Mark
                    they did that to the guys that install victalic pipe years ago. they can't cut a groove anymore, they have to roll a groove. all it takes is some time to get use to it. copper is an easy fix. steel is an expensive fix

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

mark, i've been using a tool for the last few years that actually rolls out the burr. all it does is push the copper back onto itself. it works very good for 1/2''-2'' copper, as long as the copper is in your hand. much harder if the copper is in a fixed position as the tool is hard to work with pipe in place.
                      rick.
                      What tool are you talking about? who makes it?

Comment

i've been using a tool for the last few years that actually rolls out the burr. all it does is push the copper back onto itself. it works very good for 1/2''-2'' copper, as long as the copper is in your hand.
                        Rick, can you tell me which tool it is that your using, Thanks, the other Mark.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

they did that to the guys that install victalic pipe years ago. they can't cut a groove anymore, they have to roll a groove. all it takes is some time to get use to it. copper is an easy fix. steel is an expensive fix

rick.
                          Remember having to cut the groove by hand then later on rather then cut a grove Ridgid had the 724 roller groover which was great from 1" pipe to 8" with the proper adapters.

It sat on the Ridgid 300 then they had the "whole thing" that you clamped to the pipe and one bored a hole in the stand pipe then use the victallic saddle to install the 21/2" stand pipe hose connection. Saved a lot of couplings and fittings

The Ridgid roller grover was great on schedule 40 and schedule 80 piping.

Setting it took a little patience as how deep the groove would go.

sort of like the Go NO go tool made for Pyrex piping when you rolled your own beads for the coupling to attach to.

Comment

rick.
                            When I was pipe fitting one of the things engineers didn't like was roll grooved copper, based on the turbulence. This was not a plumbing code issue, but used in chilled water systems. I actually saw their point on that.
                            the dog

Comment

dog, i've done vic. copper and it was great on large pipe. now with propress up to 4'', i havn't used the vic. tool in years.

also vic. is not approved for underground. propress is

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X