X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron or PVC

I have posted on here before and I appreciated all your help and comments.

My basement flooded due to a sewer backup and I was hoping to get your input regarding what backflow valve I needed.

I have a company that are coming out to install a PVC backwater valve to stop sewer water invading my basement in times of flooding. My village says that I need a cast iron backflow valve (i have cast iron pipes under my foundation leading to clay pipes outside). What in your opinion is the advantages/disadvantages of either solution? After speaking to my neighbors they said that the reason the village want cast iron is because in case of fire the PVC will melt (ridiculous so it seems as it's in the crawl space, the whole house would be toast in that case, I have to check with the village for their reason myself tomorrow)

The valve the plumbers want to introduce into my crawlspace is a PVC tube/backwater valve with a removable flapper enabling the flapper to be removed for rodding when necessary.

I appreciate your advice.

Re: Cast Iron or PVC

If local code dictates cast iron, then you should use cast iron. As far as one being better than the other -- I don't think it really matters. Some local codes are quirky, but your plumber should know what they are and abide by them.

Bruce

Comment

keep in mind that a backwater valve is not a simple drop in fitting. the inlet and outlet centerlines are offset. if the pipe is in a fixed position, it will be tough to properly align the ends with no play.

how deep is this valve going to be buried?

i can tell you from experience that a cast iron back water valve is not set it and forget it they require cleaning and lubing to keep the flapper moving freely and properly. there are typically 4 bolts to remove the cover. if it's deep, a proper access hole will be required.

a plastic one doesn't rust. also there is a company that makes a backwater valve that can be serviced, removed from the surface.

i also believe that the centerline of a plastic valve is a smaller offset.

make sure to install a cleanout beyond the valve to allow for snaking downstream. do not attempt to snake through a backwater valve. you will destroy a plastic one and get hung up on a cast iron one when trying to retrieve it.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Sump Stumped View Post
        I have posted on here before and I appreciated all your help and comments.

My basement flooded due to a sewer backup and I was hoping to get your input regarding what backflow valve I needed.

I have a company that are coming out to install a PVC backwater valve to stop sewer water invading my basement in times of flooding. My village says that I need a cast iron backflow valve (i have cast iron pipes under my foundation leading to clay pipes outside). What in your opinion is the advantages/disadvantages of either solution? After speaking to my neighbors they said that the reason the village want cast iron is because in case of fire the PVC will melt (ridiculous so it seems as it's in the crawl space, the whole house would be toast in that case, I have to check with the village for their reason myself tomorrow)

The valve the plumbers want to introduce into my crawlspace is a PVC tube/backwater valve with a removable flapper enabling the flapper to be removed for rodding when necessary.

I appreciate your advice.

JR Smith only way to go Cast Iron of course

Comment

I would install a telescopic backwater valve, they only come in plastic, but they are easy to locate as the riser is brought to ground level and easy to service as there is a riser inside that is glued to the flapper assembly.

If your code requires you to use cast iron, then cast iron is what you need to have installed. As Rick has mentioned, do not forget the c/o, and prepare to have a box built around the backwater as it will need to be easy to locate and need service.

As a homeowner with a backwater valve, be prepared to point them out to drain cleaners and plumbers, as sadly, not enough of them know about them when it comes to having to clear a mainline stoppage, they will either get stuck or break the flapper, causing the unit to be useless.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            I would install a telescopic backwater valve, they only come in plastic, but they are easy to locate as the riser is brought to ground level and easy to service as there is a riser inside that is glued to the flapper assembly.

If your code requires you to use cast iron, then cast iron is what you need to have installed. As Rick has mentioned, do not forget the c/o, and prepare to have a box built around the backwater as it will need to be easy to locate and need service.

As a homeowner with a backwater valve, be prepared to point them out to drain cleaners and plumbers, as sadly, not enough of them know about them when it comes to having to clear a mainline stoppage, they will either get stuck or break the flapper, causing the unit to be useless.

I did a Church / school and the Franchise guys installed a back water Valve thankfully the Monsignor showed me the valve prior to me water jetting the main

What these fine gentlemen did was take an 8" sewer line put a 8 x 4 reducer on it and installed a 4" BWV then put in another 4 x 8 as now they increased it to the origional size and people kept wondering why so many blockages are the drain guys finished

For this feat of magic they charged $17,000 I told the priest to sue he said GOD WILL get them.

I said do you really want to wait that long father?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan Tieger View Post
              I did a Church / school and the Franchise guys installed a back water Valve thankfully the Monsignor showed me the valve prior to me water jetting the main

What these fine gentlemen did was take an 8" sewer line put a 8 x 4 reducer on it and installed a 4" BWV then put in another 4 x 8 as now they increased it to the origional size and people kept wondering why so many blockages are the drain guys finished

For this feat of magic they charged $17,000 I told the priest to sue he said GOD WILL get them.

I said do you really want to wait that long father?
              A few years ago there was an individual who did not know how to conduct himself inside a network in which I was a part of.This particular one was construction.

The individual was continuing to be boisterous and disrespectfull to the entire environment.He was kicking other trades material out of his way when my helper could not take any more from the mouth with no back.I took my helper out to lunch to get him away from the idiot.I explained to my good man that someone else will take care of this trash,wether it be God or one of the other trades,keep your hands bloodless.

The Fool showed up back on our job a few days later with a black-eye and an entirely different demeaner,including excercising his knowledge of how to act in this particular environment.

And here I didn't think a finish carpenter carried a can of whoop-@ss in his bags

Adam

Comment

if you do plan on using a PVS one, then it should not matter on the depth. but as for what to pick, use the CI. Why? because its the "Quiet pipe". PVC does its job, but the cast looks nice and you never ever hear it.
                5 Super Wal-Marts down and none to go.

Comment

Working...
                X