Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whole House Traps

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    I am near You tomorrow, Noe valley. Be glad to take a look.
    Check Your messages. Tool
    Suggestion. If You move fast this morn. You can camera one ready for inspection this morn! New lateral ,cast iron, running trap. All open
    now, will be back filled ,SOON ! My work is back in Marin after this SAT !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Suggestion. If You move fast this morn. You can camera one ready for inspection this morn! New lateral ,cast iron, running trap. All open
      now, will be back filled ,SOON ! My work is back in Marin after this SAT !
      Well, I reached out My hand friend
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well, I reached out My hand friend
        And I saw it.

Comment

Me too

Comment

We see House Traps around here all the time. If we find one blocked we can usually jet it clean with the 3/8" Warthog. If not........it's time to dig and add a cleanout in its place. Then it can always be relined through the cleanout later if they want us to.
            Attached Files
            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

We don't have whole house traps around here..Atleast I've never seen one..What is the purpose exactly ? Why would it need to be vented? And does the vent double as a cleanout ? Sorry just trying to learn something..
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

We have curb traps or lawn traps here.

What's messed up is, code says you're not allowed to double trap..that's considered double trapping.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  We don't have whole house traps around here..Atleast I've never seen one..What is the purpose exactly ? Why would it need to be vented? And does the vent double as a cleanout ? Sorry just trying to learn something..
                  I believe it was a different way of thinking towards sewer gases from a municipality along with some places probably didn't have proper venting for some fixtures.

Now some also claim them to be a "rat trap" or blocker. I don't really follow that logic as there are places with proper plumbing, no house traps, and all kinds of vermin around there. And they don't have some huge problem with infiltration through their sewer line.

Sure, there will always be a story or two that we all have heard about something coming through there.

But for me, it's just a professionally installed clog that isn't necessary.

J.C.

Comment

Around here, S.E. Michigan, they were installed in every building until the 1950s or so ( maybe the 40s). The way I learned it, the trap was there to protect the building from sewer gas. Each one had a "fresh air" vent that terminated outside with a "Vent Cap" on it that bolted to the 4" vent pipe.

On the newer buildings, late 40's early 50's, the waste lines no longer were installed with a house trap on the sanitary but they still kept it on the storm. (We have combined sewers).

I think that at some point the code officials realized that they were double trapping and that each fixture was separately trapped so they did not need the house trap. It was replaced with a wye and 1/8th bend to act as a clean-out.

At one time you could buy "a set of traps" from the supply houses that was all four inch service weight cast iron, leaded joints, and had a trap for the storm and the trap for the sanitary already assembled ready to be installed on the house main sewer.

Of course it was heavy as hell but buying it already made up saved a ton of time. Probably took two men and a boy to get it into the hole. When the sanitary traps were eliminated they still sold the assembly with one trap and one wye and "8 bend" for the clean-out.

Today as the traps deteriorate they are removed and replaced with just the wye and 1/8th bend. The storm traps are left in place.

Comment

If You see a house in S.F. , It has a whole house trap!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        And I saw it.
                        Looking at it Mon .

Comment

Looking at it Mon .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            I believe it was a different way of thinking towards sewer gases from a municipality along with some places probably didn't have proper venting for some fixtures.

Now some also claim them to be a "rat trap" or blocker. I don't really follow that logic as there are places with proper plumbing, no house traps, and all kinds of vermin around there. And they don't have some huge problem with infiltration through their sewer line.

Sure, there will always be a story or two that we all have heard about something coming through there.

But for me, it's just a professionally installed clog that isn't necessary.

J.C.
                            That's what it looks like to me
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If You see a house in S.F. , It has a whole house trap!
                              lol
                              Every day's Tool Promotion | Choose a String Trimmer for your garden!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                                Well I tried. Wasn't excavated, ditch filled with sand!

Comment

Working...
                                X